Not open for further replies.

Alness

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
UK
Hi, I've previously had a fibromyalgia diagnosis from a rheumatologist but I'm a bit asymptomatic as most of my issues are regarding fibro-fog rather than excessive chronic or widespread pain. However, I do experience a lot of pain in my shoulders/neck. There appears to be three distinct areas of pain and I'm attending a chiropractor to help deal with these because each seems to be related to a very specific injuries (for want of a better word). I'm not having much success.

My question is this:

Can fibromyalgia amplify the pain from specific injuries as well as give people widespread, chronic pain. Is it possible that without fibromyalgia these sources of pain would be much less painful? Very grateful for any advice, thanks!

Hi Alness,

Yes, some people find that fibro amplifies their genuine pain signals - so real injuries can feel much more painful than they should. This seems to vary from person to person, and can depend on whether people are in a flare or not. However, as far as I'm aware, to fit a fibromyalgia diagnosis you'd be looking at widespread pain to at least some extent in other parts of your body pretty much constantly too.

Having said all of that, a nasty spinal injury with intense pain masked my fibro for years. Ironically, the fibro had actually started first but my doctor at the time was all but useless, and once I had my accident everything else got pushed to the side. I chalked up all my other bodily aches and pains, fatigue, foggy brain, and depression to being totally run down and exhausted, and took ages to finally tease everything apart. I thought it was burnout that just wouldn't go away. Finally, my fibro symptoms got much worse following a very stressful life episode, and became the loudest thing going on! Then I got in front of a good doctor who took me through proper diagnosis and helped me work through both issues. Pulling apart the layers can be complicated!

I guess my advice would be to try to tune into the rest of your body and observe what's going on there as much as you can. I'd also work on a holistic fibro management strategy (stress management, pacing, sleep, diet, exercise, etc.) to see if your shoulders/neck pain becomes less intense. If that helps, then that would perhaps support the idea that fibro is amplifying your pain, although these things do require introspective investigation as we're all so different.

My back is much less trouble now that my fibro is more in check. I also get bad neck pain from an old whiplash injury when I'm in a flare, but can't feel it at all the rest of the time. I hope that helps!

Hi, I've previously had a fibromyalgia diagnosis from a rheumatologist but I'm a bit asymptomatic as most of my issues are regarding fibro-fog rather than excessive chronic or widespread pain. However, I do experience a lot of pain in my shoulders/neck. There appears to be three distinct areas of pain and I'm attending a chiropractor to help deal with these because each seems to be related to a very specific injuries (for want of a better word). I'm not having much success.

My question is this:

Can fibromyalgia amplify the pain from specific injuries as well as give people widespread, chronic pain. Is it possible that without fibromyalgia these sources of pain would be much less painful? Very grateful for any advice, thanks!
Hi, sorry to hear about the shoulder and neck pain. When it's your neck or your back it seems to affect everything. It will be interesting to hear if the chiropractor is able to help you.

I've found injuries to be quite painful in the past with a lot of the pain lingering and becoming chronic. A whiplash injury from falling is one of the worst, leaving me with neck pain, tender scalp, headaches and regular migraines. This has led to deconditioning and loss of muscle. While the neck pain is more of an ache, forearm pain from an injury apparently carrying too much is hot and sharp. Thankfully after being refused Pregabalin a handful of times, it helped to calm down the hot forearm pains at least.

My chiropractor helps me a great deal by keeping my body aligned properly with once-a-month visits. But when I injure something in my back it's going to take time to heal....a lot longer than it did before fibro entered my life.

My chiropractor helps me a great deal by keeping my body aligned properly with once-a-month visits. But when I injure something in my back it's going to take time to heal....a lot longer than it did before fibro entered my life.
It's interesting to hear about proper alignment, do you get many pops or cracks? I've been tempted. Tried a 'sports physio' many years ago, felt so tense my left leg began to lift up. Interestingly he found the worse spots on my neck without me pointing them out. Although I was told my lower back is something of a write off my back felt much better overall afterwards.

My question is this:

Whether or not it's increased from fibro:
If your chiropractor continues not to have success, maybe changing or trying one of the many different physical treatments could help.
I'd draw the line at 5 visits at the very latest. My acupressurist hasn't improved my Ache or sleep, but my specific pains are her speciality, almost everything I myself (gym strangely often helps) or the osteopath before her cdnt get down, she does, whether it's the clavicle that flare up again due to fibro after years or the various tendon problems, the tailbone is better, but often flares up again. After having left it a while and concentrating on tendons, we've realized she's had to go back to mobilizing the whole of my back, which is a treat.

It's interesting to hear about proper alignment, do you get many pops or cracks? I've been tempted. Tried a 'sports physio' many years ago, felt so tense my left leg began to lift up. Interestingly he found the worse spots on my neck without me pointing them out. Although I was told my lower back is something of a write off my back felt much better overall afterwards.
My chiropractor is very gentle and works on a micro level. He generally doesn't do the adjustments by hand, but by using highly calibrated machines. I never experience cracks or pops as a result. My experience has been that chiropractors who work on a larger scale and do the adjustments with their bodies create those, and those kinds of therapy have never helped me very much.

My chiro does muscle testing to refine what he is doing and where. I wouldn't even have believed muscle testing was valid until I met him and my experience with him over many years has shown me that it is.

Thanks all for your thoughtful and considered replies(y)
Jemima, though clearly meant with the very best of intentions, your suggestion: "However, as far as I'm aware, to fit a fibromyalgia diagnosis you'd be looking at widespread pain to at least some extent in other parts of your body pretty much constantly too," is very frustrating for me. When I last came on this forum a few years ago, people said similar things so I've stayed away. However, the fact is I may be asymptomatic for fibro but I'm also asymptomatic for CFS and I dearly wish I fell more squarely into one or the the other. I suffer from some pain; a lot of brain fog; IBS and tingling. That pain is not the most significant factor might suggest I don't have Fibro but I don't suffer from fatigue after exercise so CFS does not seem correct. I've no idea whether or not this is a controversial thing to say on this forum but I believe in the theory that there is some sort of continuum of auto-immune illnesses and that I fall somewhere in that category if not clearly in one or the other. I would absolutely love to sit down with an expert in this but have no idea where to find one. The rheumatologist who diagnosed me with Fibro is certainly not who I want to speak to. As the most salient feature of my illness is the brain issues then I suspect it might be some sort of neurologist but I just don't know. I do know, however, that my life is severely impacted by this and it's not getting any better. Preaching to the converted there though, I know.
All the best, Alan

Hi Alan,
It was certainly not my intention to frustrate or offend, so sorry for that. I imagine that you're very keen to put a pin in what's going on with your health. If I've realized one thing since dealing with this condition, it's how phenomenally diverse all of our experiences are. Medical professionals try to create parameters for diagnosis - but these don't make the experience of anyone who doesn't quite fit in a certain box any less valid, or any less catastrophic in terms of the impact on life. I didn't mean to imply that what you're going through is less in any way. The harsh reality is that if it is fibro or CFS, that won't necessarily make it easier for you to treat - we all seem to respond to different things. But if there is something else going on, that would be worth continuing to investigate. I hope you find the answers you seek.

I'll just add on the fog front, I've found supplementing for mitochondrial support transformative. Started with coq10 and ALA, and am now finding more improvement with acetyl-L-carnatine.

Hi Alan - No reason at all to stay away; we're all happy to have you here. It's normal for us to try to see fibro-my-algia as pain-centred, after all it's called that and it's vague enough for us all as it is. But if you are interested in the idea that it still seems something like fibromyalgia we often (have to!) discuss similar issues like central sensitization, small fibre neuropathy etc. on the neurological end and autoimmune stuff too.
theory that there is some sort of continuum of auto-immune illnesses and that I fall somewhere in that category if not clearly in one or the other.
Quite a few of us think that finding subgroups might in future explain our differences and co-morbidities, at least I do. And the other day I actually had exactly the same thought as you here, that there is possibly a continuum from neurological to autoimmune diseases causing invisible chronic pain for a variety of reasons which may be interacting. So if were controversial here - it isn't - I'd be "on your side", apart from me not "believing" anything, it's just a question of opening possibilities and probabilities to be able to act upon them to find things which improve our lives.
The only thing is that most of us do have a lot of pain, so we will of course be talking about that too, but it's not our job to dispute your diagnosis, but to share and help with everyone who feels they belong here and can gain something from it and perhaps give something too.
We'll try not to stress you, but please accept our apologies if it does happen and try just to accept that we aren't doing this on purpose, but from our point of view, which is very pain-centred. It will help us & you if you remind us, esp. when asking a pain-question like this one.
In that sense for me it's still intriguing how your rheumatologist came to make your diagnosis and why you feel it's right.
Now I know where you're coming from, I'll reformulate what I said above: I've got all my pains pretty much under control, with a lot of regular treatments, the Ache still remains, but if I pace well, with lots of rest, not too much either. For this reason someone elsewhere has disputed that I have been in a full flare for 1.5 years. Until she realized that it is only because I lead a very fibro-centred life, 2-3h of self- and expert treatments per day, and that still isn't enough, and still 10h/w of work is a bit too much (50h/w 2 years ago). Now that cdve been frustrating for me to see how my efforts to keep the pain down without meds were not seen. But I argue and try to convince, and if not then I try to adapt my language so I'm understood, i.e. I wdnt any longer say I'm in a full flare. It doesn't really matter. It's communication. In your case you can perhaps help us to understand why you feel you have fibro and how we can help you, but it's not necessary. Just be patient with us. We're all in one big boat.
The rheumatologist who diagnosed me with Fibro is certainly not who I want to speak to.
Me neither with any of mine (2 + 4 in the clinic). ;-) My sleep lab psychiatrist will probably be the right one for you, he's the only one I know who can think outside the box, which is what I need, and you praps too. He even thought about if I might be able to influence my bladder pain, by telling me how the muscles there work (involuntary), which gave me clues how to get it down.
On the other hand if I had brain fog and tingling, plus some pain, I'd be off to at least 2 neurologists to check if they can find anything.
Whether brain fog, which I may be suffering a bit more from now, is fibro or not doesn't interest me in the least, because that doesn't help me cope with it. I compare it with ADHD (some slightly silly researchers even "discovered" "40%" of fibromites have ADHD 😁:unsure:) which means all their coping skills may help me, like using tokens etc. for focusing. And like Jemima says brain supps, whatever the condition...

No reason at all to stay away; we're all happy to have you here.
I'll second that, too. Supporting each other helps a lot - it doesn't matter that our experiences aren't all exactly the same 🌞

Thanks Jemima and JayCS! Your thoughtful, sensitive and extremely informative replies are very gratefully received. I absolutely realised that no-one was trying to be unhelpful. I just couldn't help explaining my frustration at my not knowing exactly what is wrong with me. Even though it won't "fix" me, somehow, having a name for what ails me feels like a useful first step. I very much look forward to reading all that you have written tomorrow (ironically, sitting concentrating on a computer is the very worst thing for my brain fog so I can only do it in manageable chunks.) Thanks again! :)

Venting is a must sometimes - so please do any time!

Thanks again for your comments. I've just recently moved house and I'm about to register with a new doctor. I'm going to pick a practise with progressive attitudes and then see if I can get a neurology appointment. Also, I'll look into those supplements. Cheers (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back