Kevin

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
SG
State
Singapore
Hello everyone,

I am a first-time novelist, writing about a world where a very severe virally-induced form of CFS has hit the world. I'm doing this because some days ago I watched "I Remember ME" and was struck by the fact that sufferers of CFS had to deal with so much pain, both physical and psychosocial.

I have some idea of where I want to go with my novel, but I will admit that I am ignorant about what suffering from CFS feels like. I only discovered it a few days ago, after all!

So my question is:
What would you like the world to understand about CFS/fibromyalgia?

I want to avoid offending sufferers of this disease as much as possible, and if my novel helps to make life for only a single reader a bit easier, that would make the labor of writing worth it.

Thanks,
Kevin

I would encourage everyone to watch this video. It brings out all the things we suffer with on a daily basis and the sad depressing ways doctors treat fibro patients.

What I would like the world to understand about CFS/Fibro, is this is a true disease that steals peoples productive and personal lives leaving most of us in terrible pain and sadness, for the life we once had. It gives a lasting depression that is often made worse by loved ones and doctors, who think we are just lazy or looking for attention. This illness can put patients in bed for months or years, or it can just cause deep pain that prevents us from walking or using our hands, or even being able to think clearly. It only leaves ones faith in God and the hope one day that a cure will be found and our lives can become normal and healthy again. The older I get I know that hope of being strong and independant of family help is only a dream. :)

1sweed, in moments like this I wish we could like posts in this forum! I totally related to your post! It's so true! Everything you said, the hardest part for me right now is not being able to think clearly anymore! I thought it was stress, but I'm starting to really doubt it.

Kevin: Fibromyalgia is a terrible disease that has destroyed a lot lives, and people suffering from it are often missunderstood by the doctors and often by their own relatives and even families. You should focus on that, make people understand this is real. Also men can suffer from this too, but are often misdiagnosed. Best of luck with your novel!

As a fellow writer, I think it's important that you write a character that is unique onto themselves. Each person's experience of CFS is quite different, so it would be difficult for you to capture their unique experiences. That said, as other have mentioned, many face the issue that they're faking. As well, a lot of people just ask us to snap out of it. Stop being so tired, etc. Or they think that they can relate, cuz everybody feels tired. This feeling is vastly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back