Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2016
Country
US
State
NC
Hi all! I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 2 weeks ago, although I've had symptoms for the last 3 years. I'm 22, and wonder if treatment options are different if you're younger? My GP has started me on Cymbalta (very low dose, 20mg set to increase to 40mg in the next couple of days), and I am not noticing any improvement. He just told me to try the meds, and see him in a few weeks- no other information about the disease was given to me. I'm also wondering if anyone has tried diet changes, supplements, physical or mental therapy, etc that has helped with their pain? I know each body is different, and what works for others may not work for me. I'm just overwhelmed at the thought of dealing with this for the rest of my life and would like to try and get some help now. I feel like my life has been falling apart, and I finally have a reason for it (other than I'm "just lazy" or it's "all in my head"). Any comments or suggestions anyone has would be most definitely appreciated! Thanks!!

Everything I learned about FM I learned on my own. I've done a lot of research online. I know the only way to find out what works for you is by trial and error. Everybody is different. I have been taking fluoxetine twice a day for over a year and a half. I was also put on Gabapentin a little over 6 months ago. The first one I take twice a day and the gabby I take 3 time a day. I'm at the point now that it feels like the fluoxetine is not working. The gabby takes care of my headaches, but I've had more bad days lately than good. I can only take it one day at a time. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this at such a young age. I'm 51 and only recently diagnosed. I believe I've had it a lot longer though.
Gentle hugs to you. :)

Take heart. The condition is manageable. Some people are diagnosed with FM and have been disabled by the pain but in reality they are suffering from Vitamin D deficiency which presents as the symptoms of FM. In fact, there two are very much related. Vitamin D and Magnesium will help alot. The latter is an antidote to depression which worsens fibromyalgia. Avoid caffeine and alcohol and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Keep a journal at hand to monitor the factors stimulating your FM to know what causes FM.

Hello honeynsteel, welcome
(love the username, btw)

I wish your doctor had done a better job of giving you the information you need - kudos to you for going out and getting it on your own.

People with fibromyalgia have trouble getting deep sleep. So anything you can do to sleep better (more time to sleep, dark room, earplugs, good pillow) will help with both fatigue and pain.

Stress will make all the symptoms worse. You can't avoid all stress, but try to avoid unnecessary stress. Breathing exercises are helpful and you can do them anytime.

If you can do it, mild to moderate exercise will help. Don't push too hard, just do what your body can. When I came down with fibromyalgia I went from playing indoor soccer one week to barely able to walk to the end of the block the next. But it was really important to keep trying. Now I can walk for 45 minutes.

We had a thread a few weeks ago ago discussing helpful books. Some of the titles people mentioned were (sorry about the inconsistent formatting, I am just copying and pasting)
THE FATIGUE AND FIBROMYALGIA SOLUTION by Jacob Teitelbaum
Fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain: a survival manual (technical but insightful) and figuring out fibromyalgia (written by an MD who has fibro).
a first year with fibromyalgia by Claudia Mereck
- Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - 7 proven steps to less pain and more energy by fred friedberg.
surprisingly informative - the Idiot's Guide to Fibromyalgia.
Life Planner workbook by Dawn Hughes.
--Breaking through the Fibro Fog by Kevin P White

hi and welcome.
sorry your dr hasn't helped you much. I to learnt everything for myself. This site will tell you everything you need to know ,as well as giving you fiends who understand you.im always low on vid D .but even when the dr tops me up I still feel dreadful .

That is the issue with doctors, many times they see us as cases where not much can be made and they really don't provide any valuable help...

I read all I could get my hands on at the library,& on web sites. There are many supplements to try out that definitely can help and a cocktail of both meds and supplements is what works for me. There is good advise above; a journal of foods you eat can help identify any trouble foods. (gluten, eggs and dairyare big ones but I don't have any problems). Heat in the form of heating pads, showers or baths can also help those tight muscles; a memory foam mattress topper is nice to take pressure off any sensitive spots. Check out the posts here as there is much good info.

Another good post right there, all in all we can find quite a few good tips that will help us feel better.

We did not have any luck with medical treatment. We saw about ten or more doctors, and tried a number of medications along with biofeedback, cbt, counselling, sleep medicine referral, etc.

We have had significant improvement using supplements. I wrote a post under alternative therapies "what worked for me". I wish you the best of luck. Most Fibro patients have to do it on our own. The medical community doesn't really have an effective treatment at this time. You are not likely to see much significant improvement from medication, and you will have side effects, and it's possible that it could make you worse, if you are not a good detox-er, because it is strain on the body to eliminate those medications from you system after you take them.

If you have not been tested for MTHFR, you should get that done. You may need L-5-MTHF, and you may need to avoid folic acid. Many people with fibro have the MTHFR genetic mutation. It can cause risks in pregnancy as well. Finding out about the MTHFR is one of the few contributions from the medical community, although I had to find out about it and ask about it, myself, in order to get tested.

I strongly recommend a strong magnesium supplement such as Natural Calm, daily dosing with at least 5,000 iu of vit D3, Twinlabs Stress B vits, several fish or krill oil caps a day, co Q10, acetyl L carnitine and B12 patches and/or Active B12 lozenges. That's a good place to get started. If you start feeling sick, take up to 50,000 iu of D3 daily for up to a week. I also suggest taking MSM daily. We get a big jug of powder and add it to our tea, but there are pills if you don't like the bitter taste. Also, malic acid. Be aware -- most multi-vitamins don't work very well, if at all. This sounds like a lot, but it can make a real difference.

Also, try focusing on whole foods, fresh foods (Not packaged or ready to eat). Read ingredients, and try to avoid corn syrup and additives. Many people feel better after eliminating ALL gluten for at least two weeks. Any exposure, however, will set off the immune reaction, so you have to be very careful. This can be very hard, in our modern lifestyle, and it is a skill to be learned. It is best done gradually, learning new foods to eat, and what to avoid, making slow changes over time to your diet. Also -- try digestive enzymes. There are specific ones for gluten.

Fibro is an immune disease, and gluten is an immune stressor, and also casein (dairy, because cows eat wheat). Consider other immune stressors as well -- mold, animals, pollen, dust. Air cleaners can be helpful. Nasal filters can be helpful. Nasal rinse can be helpful. Eliminating carpet. Getting dustmite covers on the bed and pillows. Switching to natural bath products. The less assault on your immune system, the better chance you have of reducing the overactive immune response.

I wish you the best of luck.

I just wanted to let you know that my daughter, (fibro symptoms from infancy, diagnosed CRPS at 9, and Fibro at 11) was almost completely bedbound at one point,and unable attend school, and by taking the right supplements for a period of months or years, she is now able to work a part time job and go to part time college. It is a huge difference, from about 20% functional to about 60% functional. You CAN feel better, but you will do it by learning from other fibro warriors and finding the right supplements and lifestyle changes, probably not by going to the doctor's office.

That's a great testimony right there falcon, it just proves that we can indeed improve if we find the right way, what works for us.

Hi there and welcome to the forum! First things first, yes, I'm sure you will find a lot users here who have tried everything ranging from alternative therapies to diet changes. For some it has worked til some extent for others not at all. I've heard all sorts of stories on here... after all I've been a member of this forum for 3 years. Some people have gone into remission and bee pain free for a while... I was one of them, sadly my pain came back with a vengeance.

After ruling out any neurological issue, I'd suggest you to keep on working with your doctor. You might need to try different medication combos that work t fight back you pain, but it's all trial and error. You need to actually keep trying until you find the one... because we are all different. It sounds like your doctor is a good one and willing to try different medication combos with you, s that is good. Another good advice I can give you is to watch your symptoms closely and the severity of them. Write them down... so you can have an idea of what effect every med combo does to you or doesn't.

Best of luck! For more tips and pieces of info and advice... stay tuned :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back