Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
Hello everyone! I am very glad to have found this forum because I know nothing about fibromyalgia and was diagnosed just yesterday.

Long story short - I have been having chronic pain, tingling and blurred vision off-and-on for the past two years. I have had multiple blood panels done and the results are always normal. Finally my GP told me about fibromyalgia and how my symptoms matched with all the criteria for it. She referred me to neurology and my diagnosis was confirmed yesterday, but they are still going to run more tests to see if it's linked to an underlying autoimmune disease, as they suspect I could also have MS, but I have yet to get an MRI to confirm.

In the mean-time, can anyone provide me with some home-remedies for the fibromyalgia pain? My pain is a constant, dull, deep ache all over my body, with higher pain concentrations in my neck, shoulders, arms, hips/pelvis and shins. My periods are incredibly intense and painful as well.

Are there any herbal supplements I can take to help reduce inflammation? I prefer not to take prescribed medications unless I absolutely have to. I have also heard that heat rather than ice is better to manage fibro pain. I currently take a low dose of THC oil at night to help me sleep and manage the spasms and cramps, and it helps a great deal. Any home-remedies would be greatly appreciated. I am also going to try and get back into yoga/pilates to improve circulation and flexibility.

Also, what are some signs that I could be experiencing a flare? Other signs than pain, obviously. Just want to know what to look out for!

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Welcome to the forum Katejo !

When I was first diagnosed to have Fibromyalgia five years ago, without any knowledge about it, I worried and tried different ways to lessen the pain which was severe at the beginning. I understand how you feel.

Like you, I prefer not to take prescribed medications. There are nutritional supplement that you can try and see how it works for you.

1. Essential Fatty Acids: flax seed oil, evening primrose oil and hemp seed oil - with an adequate intake of the essential fatty acids that stimulate the synthesis of the anti-inflammatory prostaglandins that block the pain and inflammatory effects of chemical mediators. Flax seeds, walnuts, pecans, avocados, pumpkins seeds and almonds are good sources of anti-inflammatory essential fatty acids.

2. Antioxidants: enzymes, vitamins and minerals help prevent damage to cells and vital tissues in the body. Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is effective in treating Fibromyalgia symptoms due to its role of producing energy in nearly every cell of the body. It gives relief from pain and increases energy levels.

3. Magnesium and Malic Acid: the malic acid found in apples fights the muscle fatigue and pain caused by Fibromyalgia.

4. Amino acid supplements prolong the natural pain-killing hormones in the body. When we do exercise, these hormones are released, although, with my Fibromyalgia, I am not able to do exercise everyday, I do whenever I have enough energy, knowing that exercise is important.

Aside from these, I take tumeric powder for pain and Ginkgo to help my memory. I also go for acupuncture weekly; those needles do not cause pain but lessen my Fibromyalgia pain. One single treatment is not enough, I started to feel the benefit after having it for a short period of time.

I wish you feeling better and better each day.

Hi Katejo. Newly diagnosed as well. I do take Cymbalta for the pain and the depression. I have also started going for light massage as too deep makes the pain more intense. I am finding this group very supportive and helpful. Believe it or not I find ice packs make the pain less intense. You would think heat, but the ice works better for me. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back