Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
TX
Hello everyone. This has been a scary past 6 months for me. I had no idea what was going on, and just was confused and frightened. After about 3 months of hearing my symptoms my doctor told me what he thought was going on, after ruling out other things with tests. Fibromyalgia symptoms hit me hard and fast when they did, I'm a guy. I had night sweats, swollen lymph nodes, a little rash, my digestive system totally changed (IBS i guess), terrible joint pains and muscle aches, a fever for 3 days, wounds that heal slowly, and a sore throat that persists and mouth ulcers that come and go, and soreness in the groin that comes and goes as well. What a crazy syndrome this is. For about 2 weeks initially I had the most horrendous time with sleep problems. The skin under my eyes became black because no matter how hard I tried, I simply could not get any sleep and it made my life hell. I can sleep now, still not as good as it used to be though... I miss the good old days.

As many symptoms as I have, are there others out here who can relate? I haven't had a moment yet to read others' posts, I just really needed to get this message of mine out for my sanity's sake and just to feel better. It's just nice to know there's a support group here.

My rheumatologist has prescribed Cymbalta. I haven't picked it up yet, why... I don't know. I guess I'm hoping to see if I can manage these symptoms on my own. They're certainly not as bad as they were during initial onset. Does anyone have opinions on Cymbalta?

Well, I hope to hear from you all. Thanks for listening.

Hi... and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear that you're hurting with all these things going on... and I hope you'll be able to find something that will offer some kind of relief.

To answer your question, there will be many here who can relate. And when you start going back over past posts (which I highly recommend!) you'll find all kinds of helpful information and even some things you may want to try for helping with pain relief.

I think it's perfectly normal to be hesitant about starting any medication. It's a struggle between wanting relief and believing that there's some way you can fight it without becoming reliant on medications... perfectly normal.

fmsnotfun,
Hello and welcome to the forum. Since you might be nervous about starting a new medication, it is important to know as much about it as you can before taking it. If you read the posts in the pain management section you will find comments from others about Cymbalta. I take Neurontin and use Excedrin Migraine pills to control my pain. There are many different choices, but it does not hurt to try a medication to see if it helps you. Waiting only prolongs your pain, and often what may not work for someone else, may work for you.

Having fibro is scary, as the symptoms are many and some are just plain weird. Others like IBS and sleep problems can really drag you down.
Please take time to read around the forum and ask more questions and offer your opinion in posts that interest you. There are several other men on site that can help you as well.

I am glad you found this forum and hope you will stop in often. :)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I know it's scary but, at least, be thankful you have a diagnosis and possible treatment plan. So many people have no idea what's going on or have doctors that won't listen to them. You're lucky in that regard. Sometimes, it's not easy seeing the roses when everything looks so bleak. ;)

You'll find lots of information on here about Cymbalta. I take Citalopram and Trazadone for other issues but they both are used to treat Fibromyalgia. I think I'm somewhat lucky because I take one in the morning and one at night; which, I think that helps me not have a down time. However, everyone reacts differently. Cymbalta may work well for you or it may not. All you can do, is read all the information you can on it and make your own decision. If you're not comfortable taking it, ask your doctor for something you are comfortable taking. There is no harm in trying, right?

Thanks you guys! I appreciate so much that you guys have responded to me with valuable guidance and support. I'll keep reading and researching on this forum. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back