Recently Diagnosed (╯︵╰,)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'm not quite sure what the difference is between "getting used to it" and "living with it",
  • living with it is never getting used to it - it is working out a way to overcome it in everday life ie not bending over not lifting heavy items putting the pain to the back by doing some other item ie I do Ham Radio which takes my contration from the pain and places it some where else - this is not "tolerance" this is simply management of pain it does not replace pain it simply there to take my Concentration from it - the pain is still there with tolerance the pain is no longer there as so many have pointed out on this forum - with fibromyalgia I can currently live with it because I know that as long as my meds work I will not get the extreme pain I had before the meds true I get flare ups but they are mild compared to what I felt before the meds I can live with the current situation because there is currently no new solution but I don't tolerate pain even with the flare ups I will still move my concreation from the pain to some thing else I still feel it but I am living with it but for a short time it is not the only thing that is dominent in my brain . If I tolerated the pain then by definition I would feel no pain. I don't think anyone actually gets used to pain. I think the most important things with Fibromygia is 1) Pain relief 2) moving concentration from the pain ie making sure Fibro is not the most important aspect of your life 3) trying to maintain quality of life

Ahhh, OK, so you're saying you work on pain, to overcome it, prevent triggers, distract/move concentration, management altho it is still there, and you can live with it because you know that it could be worse, because there is no other solution.
These are all things that I call the ableness or ability to tolerate pain....

Distraction/moving concentration/focusing on other things I've trained since being one of the most pain tolerant on the school playground playing "Chinese burn" and other pain inflicting games.

This is what I call being mentally pain tolerant. Together with radical acceptance this is also a big part of pain management and ACT, acceptance and commitment therapy etc. Whether you call it tolerance or coping or management - this is what I've been referring to all along.
I'm not sure where the many on this forum are who say have pointed out this is not tolerance: I can only see you at the moment. But I could quote those who have said they have a high pain tolerance even if their pain level is high, including on this thread, and that would seem to contradict you...
If I tolerated the pain then by definition I would feel no pain.
Looking up definitions, there is a definition of tolerance like "developed a tolerance to painkillers" (or other drugs), which might be the type you mean, I'm not sure: The same dose has less effect and that might seem to mean for this discussion that the pain gets less. However the amount of drug is still there, in the same way the amount of pain is still there, but it's having less of an effect, i.e. incapacitating us.

The main general definition of tolerance is however "capacity to endure pain or hardship". And we can see from the also main definition of (social) tolerance how it means means the pain is still there: "indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own". That conflicting thing is still there, but we don't mind it, we endure it. Your definition of tolerance would mean that if I tolerate someone with a different belief, then I would be adopting that belief, so that the difference is no longer there. If I can tolerate a person that means that there is a problem with that person, not that there isn't.
By above dictionary definitions, tolerance means that a difference is there, i.e. the pain is still there.
The physical pain tolerance I mean is that the pain signals are still being sent, but distraction stops my brain from getting them too much. As soon as I stop the distraction, the pain is "suddenly there". My pain all my life drives me to be hyperactive, even when resting my body: by doing things online to keep my brain occupied, distracting.
But as you've now explained this would also be what you do, just that you don't like me calling it 'tolerance' because you have some other definition of tolerance which I can't find anywhere else.
I don't think anyone actually gets used to pain.
Ehm, I asked you above to explain why I feel I feel I do, and you just said because we're different, which would mean that you accept that my body does get used to pain.
Now you've turned back and are implying I'm wrong to believe so: but how can you know what my pain is like? I'd've thought that contradicts your principles?
And what makes you say this although other people and also research say it does happen?
One matter if you personally don't feel you get used to your pain, but strange you can't allow others to feel so.
Again: Like you I can prevent some of my severe pain, & I can let it bounce off, part by habit, part wilfully.
I think the most important things with Fibromygia is 1) Pain relief 2) moving concentration from the pain ie making sure Fibro is not the most important aspect of your life 3) trying to maintain quality of life
Brilliant. That's what I've been saying all along. I still call exactly that pain tolerance. And I still haven't understood what kind of definition of tolerance you are using that would contradict that; but would like to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back