Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
OR
I was surprised to run across a good research paper that was focused on uunderstanding how fibromyalgia patients view their condition. Many times this kind of research seems to be focused on identifying ways that the patients are making their symptoms worse by having a bad attitude (which irritates me).

This paper was different. The authors carefully sought to understand what the fibromyalgia patients has to say without preconceived notions or bias.

The intended audience is nurses who will be interacting with fibromyalgia patients.

If you are interested here is the info:

Perspectives on Living With Fibromyalgia
Authors: Ann Gill Taylor, Katharine E. Adelstein, Tamara G. Fischer-White, Maheswari Murugesan, Joel G. Anderson
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Ann Gill Taylor, School of Nursing, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 800782, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA.

Global Qualitative Nursing Research

Author Biographies

Ann Gill Taylor, EdD, RN, FAAN, is the Betty Norman Norris Professor of Nursing at the University of Virginia School of Nursing in Charlottesville, Virginia, USA.

Katharine E. Adelstein, MSN, RN, ANP-BC, is a PhD candidate at the University of Virginia School of Nursing in Charlottesville, Virginia, USA.

Tamara G. Fischer-White, PhD, RN, RYT, is a recent PhD graduate of the University of Virginia School of Nursing in Charlottesville, Virginia, USA.

Maheswari Murugesan, MSN, RN, is a PhD student at the University of Virginia School of Nursing in Charlottesville, Virginia, USA.

Joel G. Anderson, PhD, CHTP, is an assistant professor of nursing at the University of Virginia School of Nursing in Charlottesville, Virginia, USA.

Hi Dk...I totally identify with this paper and agree. Whilest I was a functioning fibro person who had found a new identity within my new limits I still had a positive sense of self...that positive sense of my self and still finding satisfaction and happiness in life was key not falling into deep despair and depression.

Their methods must have been pretty good. It's refreshing to see a research group starts by listening.

I'm glad you enjoyed the paper

I read a bit and added it to reading list...my brain it too fried today. But I read that it takes an average of 3 yrs to diagnose going to 3.7 doctors...me 12 yrs 20 doctors, teams of neurologists and students, every doctor in the psych ward of 2 hospitals (they all thought it was anxiety and depression and gave me the option to stay and be under longterm observation where they tested me for everything. Everyone in the ward thought I was dying. My mother suggested I ask to see a rheumatologist, I didn't know what they did so I said I would if I remembered. I did ask my doctor and he said yes. But then he forgot to get me seen by one and I had to ask again. Then she cancelled a few times and forgot. She asked me a bunch of weird questions and I thought, oh great another crazy doc that thinks it's all in my head. To my surprise the next day I was given an 80% certainty that it was fibro. 8 Neurologists couldnt figure it out. I still stick to the fibro diagnosis for now. But recently I found out I have a bunch of inherited metabolic problems, neurotransmitter problems, low blood pressure problems, and high levels of ammonia in my system. Sometimes I speculate that fibro is just a term for people with an undiagnosed illness or with something that they haven't discovered yet...never know. Anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back