magnum

Diagnosis
09/1998
Country
US
State
Colorado
Hi all,
I have had FM since 1998 but am new to this forum. There are so many useful posts that I am excited to try such as changing my diet. You guys rock! My doctor is begging me to get out and exercise. As many of you know, it comes with a price. I went to Water World with my family and it had steep hills to walk up. I was in screaming pain for a week. Have any of you tried "riverwalking"? Some pools have a lazy river where you can walk against the current and it does give you a good workout. I wondered if it may be a good idea to try it since it doesn't jounce and bounce. I live north of Denver and it is dry here. I still feel pain even though the humidity is low. I do notice that rainstorms make it pretty intense though.
Sorry for the long winded post but just wanted to get started.

magnum,
Welcome to the forum. While riverwalking sounds like fun, it would depend on whether the water is warm or ice cold. Cold water could make you hurt more. In PA, we have spring fed creeks and lakes, and rivers, that the water is ice cold. I have learned that wading in them can make my muscles cramp up and my joints hurt. How about strolling along the river bank or walking along a nature trail? Of course watch out for the grizzly bears, lol.

It used to be that doctors recommended that we with fibro just get out and over work our muscles and all would be well again. Some of us learned the hard way that the more pushing we do, in either work or exercise, the less we are able to do. You can do easy walking or go to a gym and do light exercises. Toss a plastic ball around or go swimming in a local pool where the water is warmer. If the river is shallow and the water is not freezing cold simple wading without pushing against the current would be good for you. I love wading in creeks and rivers, but had to stop do to my weak, unsteady legs.

You could try it and let us know how it works for you. I would say to go with a friend in case you have trouble getting out of the water or getting home again. Playing it safe is the best thing you can do when you have fibro. :)

Rivers usually have ice cold water, so I don't think it's riverwalking is a very good idea, but if you a referring to an artificial river, then I think it's ok to give it a shot. Maybe you could just take long walk before trying this. Walking is also a way to exercise.

This sounds like a very nice thing for a pool to have! I haven't tried it, and before you mentioned it, I hadn't even heard of it before, but it seems as if it would be a good form of exercise. Whether or not it would help or hurt fibro, though, I couldn't say because I don't know enough about it (yet!)

Of course I'd not try it in a real river for a number of reasons, but these pool "rivers" you mentioned sound very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back