DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/1992
Country
US
State
IA
Hello!
I am 11 weeks into rotator cuff surgery rehab and having problems with my bicep and deltoid muscles. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in the 90's and wonder if it is the fibro causing the problems or something else. When we add any weights to the therapy my muscles ball up and cause sharp pains. We back up the weights and spend a few days massaging out the muscles. It's not only very painful but is delaying my rehab. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for being here,
GmaSherry

Well, I am not a rehab expert and neither is anyone else here, but we can certainly try to help.
Have you seen the doctor about this issue post-surgery? If not, I recommend you do, for starters.
If you have, and they say it's part of your fibro, then it possibly is because often people with fibro take longer to heal and feel more pain for longer than people who don't have it.

As for the rehab, in my experience doing physical therapy can be very helpful, but only if it is done as slowly as the body needs it to be done. I might suggest taking longer breaks in between the weight work, and then starting back with the lightest weights possible, and only if that is tolerated by your body for several sessions do you move to more weight. When I say lightest weight, I mean really light...one pound or even less. It might feel silly to do so little, but really I have found it's the only way to go.

And if even that doesn't help, ask if there is therapy you can do with no weights at all, maybe just stretching. It's possible your body just needs more time and you could get to the weights later on if they are really needed. I sure do wish you luck, and welcome to the forum. We are here to help.

Well, I am not a rehab expert and neither is anyone else here, but we can certainly try to help.
Have you seen the doctor about this issue post-surgery? If not, I recommend you do, for starters.
If you have, and they say it's part of your fibro, then it possibly is because often people with fibro take longer to heal and feel more pain for longer than people who don't have it.

As for the rehab, in my experience doing physical therapy can be very helpful, but only if it is done as slowly as the body needs it to be done. I might suggest taking longer breaks in between the weight work, and then starting back with the lightest weights possible, and only if that is tolerated by your body for several sessions do you move to more weight. When I say lightest weight, I mean really light...one pound or even less. It might feel silly to do so little, but really I have found it's the only way to go.

And if even that doesn't help, ask if there is therapy you can do with no weights at all, maybe just stretching. It's possible your body just needs more time and you could get to the weights later on if they are really needed. I sure do wish you luck, and welcome to the forum. We are here to help.
Have not talked to the dr since this problem started. In my experience, the therapists seem to know a little more. At my last dr visit he thought everything was ahead of schedule and said to keep doing what the rehab therapist wanted me to do.We have been doing everything very slowly. 1 pound or no weights at all. As soon as the muscle tightens up we rest it. I was hoping maybe at least one person would see this that has gone through it. Maybe just to reassure me that it can be done without the shoulder freezing up from lack of therapy. :) So far my flexibility in the shoulder is still making headway. I hope it stays that way with the problems with the muscles.

Thanks sunkacola for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back