Not open for further replies.

fibr o_o head

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2020
Country
UK
Hi all! Hoping this message finds you well as can be expected! Wishing you the best in your struggles whatever they are.

I am 27 years old and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia this year (April) but I’ve had symptoms since around 2016. I experience a lot of pain and discomfort, and have experienced weight gain and much-increased stiffness and very recently, hypermobility in my joints which causes pain when I walk. However I would say, tentatively, that I am in an early stage of the illness and things could be worse. It is my desperate desire (of course) to forestall the disease before it advances and to see, to what extent it is possible for me to rehabilitate myself from the position where i am currently.

Some of the videos I come across online make out that breaking through a pain barrier to an increased rate of exercise pays off in the end even if the illness throws up severe, quite scary, pushback initially. There was one youtube video on weight training as the magic bullet for one individual, for example. I am not always sure to what extent I should trust such accounts.

Basically, I am thinking that i will get a rowing machine as a way to strengthen myself up gently. At the moment the only exercise I do is modest (very modest, tbh!) amounts of walking and yoga.

Has anybody got any advice about rowing as a way to exercise with fibromyalgia? Pros? Cons? Thank you!

May i also just say I do not mean to imply to anybody on the forum that you can merely “exercise your way out of”, fibromyalgia and i hope that no one will take offence: I’m just trying and considering everything at this stage. Thanks! x FH

Hi fibr o-o head,
I am also in the early stages of what I believe is fibro. My pains have started very recently but I have had many uncomfortable symptoms for many years. Lots of blood tests and everything was always clear.
You will find lots of great advice on this forum if you look back at older posts.
There are many things that we can do to possibly slow down the progress of this condition. People on this forum have talked about the importance of eating healthy, trying to sleep well, reducing stress (as much as is humanly possible), and of course exercising.
Yoga and walking are supposed to be really good but I am not sure about rowing. Sorry I can't give you any advice on that.
You are young and it's great that you are taking control and considering everything at this stage that could be beneficial to you. I wish you all the best 😊

I think that if you would enjoy using a rowing machine, you should get one and use it. It is an excellent form of exercise, and I wish I had one! The important thing to remember, is don't go at it the way that maybe you used to (as I did) with a "push through the pain" approach. Go at it gently and work up slowly to avoid setbacks. Even now I have to gauge the amount of exercise I do on a daily basis with how my body is feeling.

The fact that you are taking a pro-active approach and working to find what exercise works for you is great! Please let us know how it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back