Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2012
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi Everyone, I have short and long term memory loss, dizziness, and mild headaches, due to what I think is Fibro symptoms. I want to tell my Doctor but I heard that now the government is encouraging Doctors to take peoples licenses away and they are getting paid if they do so. I am reluctant to tell him anything that is going on with my brain. I can't have my car taken from me. I would like to know if anyone else has heard of this.

I haven't heard about this, and no doctor has tried that with me. They've never even brought up driving. They did try to send me to a psychologist for the pain that was all in my head, though.

But, if I'm honest, I have found myself driving during times when I really should not have been. I was very weak, very tired, and very slow to react to everything. I found myself thinking things like, "Oh, a stop sign coming up. I should be slowing down, but I'm too tired to care. Can't I just keep my feet where they are?" And then slamming on my breaks as I realized how dangerous that was. I've never been in a wreck before in my life, and I think if it happens it's going to be my fault because I wasn't fully functioning. So I've learned that I shouldn't drive when I'm not feeling strong. I've cancelled appointments simply because I wasn't fit to drive, and no one else could. I'm very independent and my husband works more than full time.

So, can I blame the government for this? No, I do understand it. But I also think they're overstepping their bounds. The government needs to trust us to make good decisions, not assume we can't think for ourselves and know when we shouldn't be driving.

They will take your license here in the US for a seizure disorder or fainting disorder, as I couldn't drive for 9 months when they found out I have a fainting disorder, but the Dr didn't take my license away, he just told me do not drive or else I will report it to have your license pulled, I wasn't even tempted to drive during that time because I was scared to death of passing out while driving...
But I'm not sure about Canada.... Your government is a little different with some of those things, not sure if this is one of them tho... :/ sorry, I wish I could help more!

If your doctor reports you, in the USA, they will take your license. However, once it is proven you are not having any more, say seizures, from taking medication you can get it back. The best thing you can do is just not drive. I know that and have it be public knowledge and also maybe not get it back.

Each state is different and the rules of reporting are different. So just don't drive and be safe and allow others to be safe as well.

Over here they will take your licensee if you have a seizure issue, or even any kind of tumor in your brain. Only if they find something abnormal that could cause you to have an accident. They can't do it unless is proved you DO have a serious issue that might cause you to have accident while on the road. If I were you I'd get checked, for real!

I have similar issues and will definitely get my head checked, since my headaches are way too often and I'm getting more nausea. You should definitely get checked if you are noticing your memory is getting worse and your headaches are taking place more often.

My mother-in-law got diagnosed with dementia and would get lost if she left her neighborhood and they didn't take her driver's license. I think they should have but they just told her to stop driving but I don't think she could remember that. She drove off the road and into a snowy ditch and sat there for hours until someone found her and she did have a cell phone but she couldn't tell the rescuers where she had gone off the road. But she lives in ND. I think you should seriously consider how it would feel if you got into an accident and injured someone, anyone.

Yes I agree, if I feel that I am a unsafe driver I would not drive. I have never had a close call or any accident. I just am wondering if Fibromyalgia is a reason to take away peoples licenses. If I don't feel good I just don't drive, I just hard this from a friend who told me not to see a Doctor because he could pull your license for Fibromyalgia. To me that really doesn't make sense because I know I can drive safely. I just wanted to hear if that has happened to anyone.

Lana, I doubt they can do that only because you have fibro. If you had any other issue that could affect your driving then yeah, but they just can't take your license. If I were you I'd just tell your doctor, specially if you headache patter has changed and your headaches are more frequent or more painful.

Where I live, they can take your license away medically for a time for certain conditions. It is often if someone has seizures. But it can also be if they have episodes of going unconscious. I do think you need to be honest with your doctor so that he or she can help you to try to get feeling better. I do understand why you are afraid to do so, however.

I have never heard of doctors getting paid to take people's driver's licenses away from them. What a horrible thing that would be!

Now, if you aren't up to driving, for whatever reason, don't do it, of course. But lots of people who don't have fibro also suffer from dizziness, headaches, and a little memory loss from time to time. I think knowing when you're not up to driving is just part of the responsibility of being a good driver.

If you're worried about being honest with your doctor, maybe it's time to get a new doctor. No way would I continue seeing someone if I didn't trust them with all my symptoms. How can your doctor help you if he/she doesn't know everything that's wrong?

Thank you all so much for your advise, I feel like Im surrounded with good friends. I love how we all help each other. I don't know what I would do wthout you guys on this Forum. I am going to make a appointment so I can be perfectly honest with my Doctor. Your right emilyi I don't trust him he can be very moody and down right nasty sometimes. Thank guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back