Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/1995
Country
US
State
IL
Anyone have severe pain under their scapula and down the shoulders to the back and top side of the arm? Hurts to stretch or even lift arms sometimes.seems it starts every winter but this time it's hurt for at least 5 months.

Hi Doctrinaut,

yeah, used to, like many other back and other local pains.

In case you're interested in doing something to improve it and haven't already read my tools for that:
All of these I manage now to get down pretty quickly with exercises, stretches, acupressure, a massager and arnica cream. If I haven't got something in my toolbox for it, I put it in youtube along with the locality, here shoulder/scapula, and try out 5-10 videos, there's always something to learn, and in combination with sensing better where the origin is always something to help. If there isn't immediately, then using new words I've learnt helps find someone who can help or give me enough ideas to help myself. )To get rid of all the suggestions I'm not asking for, I click on "filter", then "videos".)

On the topic of local pains, a sort-of-new pain in my hands has come up (noticed doing a few push ups to see how my energy is doing). I've long realized that zero tolerance for local pains and doing something about them immediately is a lot better than letting them become chronic. But I first didn't take that too seriously, which is not "best practice": luckily however after carrying my little grandchild a bit I started feeling into my hand more, by accident, and suddenly found the origin surprisingly at the bottom of my index/pointing finger, presumably the insertion point of a tendon, as usual. Same on the other side, which means it may be more of a "system" problem rather than a small injury or overstraining.
- That by the way may be interesting for you: One scapula, or both, equal or different?

Then I massaged it for a few minutes, just with the fingers and palm of my other hand, and then changing hands (I was still on the playground, resting, the others knew they needed to just leave me alone for a while) noticed that the pain was going all thru my hands and lower arms, from the tiny (?)origin to really big areas. And it then got a lot worse that day, so I had the feeling maybe I'd overdone it. Although I actually don't care at all about any worsening pains if it's for the general good, as I am pain tolerant. But the day after - there was nothing, all gone, but didn't do any tests. And today 2 days after? I'll do a test now, try some push ups, altho my energy isn't what it could be.... 🏆 20 push ups - no pain in my hand, but a little around my wrist joints. I'd noticed before that my finger joints and wrists are stiff, but when I move them with my other hand there is no pain, so again these are the tendon insertion points causing the stiffness. So I'll now be trying massages of these points...........:

Edit: Ah, one origin around the right wrist is a spot at/on the head of the ulna (pinky finger side of wrist), another on the left wrist is on the head of the radius (thumb side of wrist).
My fingers are harder - they feel (don't look) "thick", swollen, as if I'd put them in stinging nettles. The two smallest on either side seem best. A quick youtube search this time does not help, because that points me to actually swollen fingers, but they aren't. Need to go deeper for that, or just try something out. Not sure if my gardening will help or harm or both...

Scapula by the way is a typical place for "trigger" points, the ones that hurt like mad where you push, the ones that hurt somewhere else when you push them (that's the original theory), and the more nerve ones that cause burning or tingling elsewhere. I haven't done any trigger pointing on my back lately, but I remember I had to be careful to not seemingly increase the problems.... But again, I think it first gets worse, then better - no guarantees tho, like with any stain remover it's good to try a small place first and see how it goes.... ;)

Starting in winter is interesting. The effect of the cold on my local pains is something I underrated until I went back to trying a whole body cryotherapy a few months back, which had often helped with energy. Now however going into the ice-cold barrel was quite OK altogether, but I came out and suddenly I had the same very stiff painful neck and something else that I hadn't had since the last cryotherapy, that I'd quickly improved myself, whilst my acupressurist had tried for months without it helping (she helped with lots of things, but that was the limit). So I very much understand the cold having an effect. Not that 3 scarves help my neck after cryotherapy, but is there anything warm you could put on the shoulder, like a heat pad when you're outside to stop it coming up next time (if it ever stops that is...) or worsening, or to improve it?

Not sure when your 5 months started or if the winter cold explains them where you are, but I actually find if I don't do anything about my local pains the chances are high (80%) that they stay or at least come up "forever", whilst having now gotten them down even when I have a big Ache/exhaustion flare only 2-3 local pains come up for a time (hours) and are well controllable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back