DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2022
Country
US
State
MI
Hi all.

I've been seeing a chiropractor for some weeks now, and while it has helped me in certain areas, I'm wondering how often I actually need to be going. I'm currently seeing him twice a week, although he recommended 3x /week.

I originally went to have my leg re-aligned, which was fixed since day one. However my fibro pain is mainly in my hands, so now I find myself unsure as to why I'm going other than to stay "tuned up" to possibly help with fibro.

Anyone out there try chiro? Is it really worthwhile if I'm going to have chronic pain regardless of whether I go or not? Trying to rationalize it in my head.

ask yourself if it is honestly helping you to go.. if the answer is yes, then go, if no, then dont go, or go when you feel the need to for other things.

I have done chiro, but not for my fibro. I have other issues that he helps with - neck, low back, SI joints.

Hi ellief, I've also gone to chiro but not for fibro. If chiro is free then sure keep going. For me I can only get $600 coverage, so I only go if my neck is hurting or I feel 'off.' I find massage is better and a Thai massage is best.

G’day ellief, I started seeing a chiro, like others but not for fibro. When my gp found out I was seeing the chiro he actually told me to stop seeing him immediately as my spine can’t be “cracked” , but I found the cost for the tiny amount of time he would do what he could wasn’t worth it.
So I was sent to an osteopath,, best move I ever made. Sometimes it helps my fibro and definitely helps my polyarthralgia.

I love my chiropractor, and he has been of tremendous help to me. He also is very skilled at recommending supplements that help me. I usually go to him once a month to stay tuned up and only go more often if I need something addressed specifically.
I have chronic back and neck problems in addition to fibro.

Ask your chiropractor his reason for wanting you to come twice a week, and ask yourself if you feel it is helping you, and base your decision on those answers.

Note: Chiropractors do not "crack" your back, as the GP told @Harpy . That is a misconception. To crack your back would be to break it. Chiropractic makes very slight adjustments (or larger if truly needed) to the alignment of your whole body.
If your spine is not working correctly, nothing else will work right, and it cannot work right if it is misaligned. What happens then is other parts of the body compensate for it by doing more than their job, causing problems all down the line and often resulting in widespread pain,
which doesn't mean that everyone needs a chiropractor. It all depends on what is going on in your body.

If you find it helpful, keep going, although the only time I saw mine 2 or 3X a week was immediately after a car accident that put everything from my head on down out of alignment.

I am very interested in trying out a chiropractor, but have not yet done so. However, two or three times a week seems excessive to me even though I have very little knowledge of the practice.
Medicare, my insurance, offers only very limited coverage for chiropractic.

I am very interested in trying out a chiropractor, but have not yet done so. However, two or three times a week seems excessive to me even though I have very little knowledge of the practice.
Medicare, my insurance, offers only very limited coverage for chiropractic.
honestly, Jamie, just for fibro it probably would not help much, but if you have other issues going on, it might.

I self pay - usually about $35/visit (here in northcentral WI anyway) - chiropractic is generally much cheaper then regular medical care, but it is limited in what it can do for you. i would hazard a guess that around $40-50 would be a good average.
with my neck and low back problems, yes, chiropractic is useful to me to help with those areas.

If you want to try it, talk with others - friends, family - to get recommendations..

I tend to prefer a small practice myself.. the one I have gone to the last several years has a very small office that also offers massage services thru another business that works with him. the two are often quite compatible with one another.. massage before chiro treatment helps loosen tight muscles, making adjustments easier. on the flip side of that, massage after can help keep the adjustment longer..

When I first started seeing this particular DC he had me coming in a couple times a week because of an acute problem with SI joints.. as things progressed, my visits were reduced to once a week then every other week, and so on. Now I call when I feel the need for an adjustment.
But yeah, i have to agree that 2-3 times a week, without an acute problem, is excessive and a bit of a money grab (regardless of insurance or self pay).

Thank you for the info, Cookie.
I do have back pain, as well as osteoarthritis in my neck, and cervical radiculopathy. I'll speak to either my primary or pain management doctor about a possible referral.

Thank you for the info, Cookie.
I do have back pain, as well as osteoarthritis in my neck, and cervical radiculopathy. I'll speak to either my primary or pain management doctor about a possible referral.
i would still talk to family and/or friends as well.. not all chiropractors are created equal.. just like with medical doctors, some are better than others, some are simply quacks..

Yes sunkacola, I know chiro’s don’t “ crack” they do adjustments.
I was just saying the term “ crack” in brackets as that’s how my gp put it. As he knows my spine is in a bad way.
( I also hear others use the term “ crack” when they get a loud pop with their adjustments).
There’s nothing the chiro could do for me , just using that little pop thing that did nothing.

Ah, I understand.
I think it all depends on who the chiropractor is, what their skill level is, and what they have studied that adds on to their practice. Like mine being skilled with testing for what supplements would help, what exercises at home I should do or not do, and so on. He's almost a wizard at it and he helps me on many different levels. Just a little pop thing wouldn't help me either, but if you find one who is multi-skilled and has really good equipment and knowledge of a wide range of things it could be different. Not saying you should do that. Just saying not all chiropractors are equal by any means.

That’s very true, the chiro I was seeing is one of the best in my state. A very knowledgeable man. He even told me there was not much he could do for me. The only thing he did help me with was some low back pain, as my lumbar has calcified ( fused itself) . Most of my family see this chiro.

Really glad you have a good one. And if that's what he says, then no doubt it is true. I'd believe it if my chiro said that to me.

I don't think my chiro has helped me with fibro specifically but has helped a lot with relieving or lessening some of the various things that have arisen from the fibro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back