noonoo

Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
MA
Hello, all!

I just developed a new and extremely painful symptom. seemingly overnight. A couple of days ago I noticed a sore inside my lower lip, right at the base of my gums. It was pretty painful but I figured it would go away in a couple of days. I've had canker sores before and I know they can be painful.

The sore did not go away, and it has gotten bigger and more painful. This morning my whole mouth was hurting, and when I looked at my gums I saw they were red and puffy. I have never been a faithful flosser -- I sort of do it for a while and then slack off, and then pick it up again. In general I have not taken great care of myself over the past 11 years because I have been caring for my severely mentally ill son, and all my resources have gone toward keeping him alive when he's not been in the hospital. My doctors believe that this constant, long-term trauma is what likely triggered the Fibro in me.

Anyway, back to my mouth: at this point it feels like all the tissue in my mouth is swollen. Everything, including my teeth and tongue, hurts. A lot. The redness, swelling, and all-over pain just seemed to come on this morning. And my question is: do you think this could be related to the FMS? I have Googled it and it seems some people do make that connection.

I did a search on these forums but didn't come up with anything (maybe I just used the wrong keywords).

Has anyone had this experience, and if so, do you have any advice? I am not sure whether to call my dentist or my doctor! Oh, and just fyi, I do grind my teeth at night for sure, and I do have some recession, which suddenly looks a lot worse as well.

I suspect some very painful and costly dental work is in my near future. :(

It would help to know if anyone else has experienced this, and what you did to make it better!

I wish you all a great sleep. :)

About one week ago, I had a sore in the very same place! It did not go away in normal time and it hurt like hell! It got bigger but it didn't affect the rest of my mouth and it finally got better. I thought maybe it was stress related; another new and exciting symptom to contend with!
Today I have one on the side of my tongue; annoying but not like that other one. Why, all of a sudden, am I getting these painful things?They say if you have a sour stomach, you get them but I don't think that's the case here.

I would say go see your dentist. Sometimes this can be an infection in your gums and other times it can be inflamation that can work it's way into a bad infection, so be smart and get it checked out. I have had both kinds of inflamation issues and it is handy to now know that my dentist can help deal with it. Also having such problems listed in your medical records can help doctors see that the problems are real.

I used to get this at the begining of a flare. It would start in my mouth and then after a few days or weeks proceed into something else just as or more-so painful. I think fibro lowers our resistence and allows infections or even viral infections in and able to get foot in the door, to cause us more grief. I hope you feel better soon. :)

I would say go see your dentist. Sometimes this can be an infection in your gums and other times it can be inflamation that can work it's way into a bad infection, so be smart and get it checked out. I have had both kinds of inflamation issues and it is handy to now know that my dentist can help deal with it. Also having such problems listed in your medical records can help doctors see that the problems are real.

I used to get this at the begining of a flare. It would start in my mouth and then after a few days or weeks proceed into something else just as or more-so painful. I think fibro lowers our resistence and allows infections or even viral infections in and able to get foot in the door, to cause us more grief. I hope you feel better soon. :)

That is sound advice. I would bet that it does not have anything to do with fibro. It could be something very serious like sweed mentioned. It might be a nasty infection. You should seek immediate medical help if it lasts longer than 24 hours. I wish you luck.

Thanks so much all of you for your responses and I am sorry it took me so long to acknowledge them! Half the time I am feeling so under the weather I don't have the energy to type or even read. The mouth stuff did clear up and yes, I do need to follow up with my dentist. I did see my PCP. who did say my mouth tissue looks fine. Hope everyone is doing well.

I'm really sorry to hear this! I know how bad oral pain can be... when I was a teen I suffered from really painful sores (all over my tongue), my tongue looked like a map! My doctor told me this was happening because my immune system was really weak (I was a really stressed out teen!). So once I calmed down this condition improved. Are you sure this symptom is a chronic thing? It could be triggered by stress only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back