Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
None
Does anyone else find the mere act of showering to be exhausting? I am down to showering 3-4 times a week because I just don't have the energy to do it. I can no longer get in and out of my tub and my shower is to small to put a shower chair in it so I have to stand while I shower. Sometimes I get so exhausted that I stumble out of the shower and immediately go and lay down on the bed. I have to throw a blanket on the bed so I don't get the bedspread and sheets wet. I will lay there for five minutes or so until I feel I have enough energy to get up and get dried off. If I have to go somewhere I will have to shower the night before because just the act of showering exhausts all of my energy. Forget doing my hair and putting on makeup. Anybody else?

Me Too TipBill...big effort and sometimes dry myself quickly and get into bed to recover!

I like showering because my muscles loosen. However, when it is winter and the bathroom is cold, I shower a lot less and don't really want to do it much.

I have this problem too. I have actually gotten bad enough between the exhaustion and my leg weakness that I have to have my boyfriend sit in the bathroom with me while I shower because I have gotten weak enough several times that I've nearly fallen. As soon as I get done with my shower (which takes 3 times as long as it used to), I have to lay down and rest for at least 30 minutes before I try to do anything else. It's enough of a chore now that I don't get a shower nearly as often as I would like because it's just too big of a task sometimes.

I too enjoy the feeling of a warm shower but it is such a chore to do it, mainly dressing and undressing and trying not to slip and fall.

Sometimes is such an effort i get up planning to shower almost straight way then have a cup of tea and my brekky and put it off ...the hours tick by as its like a big work up ...undressing washing and drying my hair dressing again.......i also always rinse and dry off the shower tiles and glass screen afterwards so as to keep it looking fresh and clean as this saves on limescale and any mould spots occuring.

So i do that to save larger cleaning jobs building up around the house too often.

LOL sometimes i leave washing my hair but it gets damp anyway and dries randomly so I look like a scarecrow! ...then i just hope nobody calls round for a visit!

Like you Tipbill forget the makeup and pouffed up hairstyle of years gone by...much as i long to be that woman she's pretty much non existent....thank goodness for phones so i can chat with friends without them seeing me still in my pj's!

Merry Christmas Tipbill and to all the dear fibro friends on this site....hope we can all manage to shower for the big day! LOL

Last edited:
I find it so hard to shower! (Don't worry, I still do it...lol) It tires me out completely and I need to rest before I get dressed and do my hair and makeup. I also find it hard to wash my hair as my arms often feel like they have no strength...on those days I have my husband wash my hair for me. You're not alone in this!

I love the shower,helps me feel good.as for that exhaustion,for me I have to work through it,if I give in I get worse .if I just potter about it helps lift it.belive me it's not easy,I feel like I'm going to drop.but after about 30 minutes it does lift.so for me a shower really helps.

Hi TipBill,

I completely understand. I used to HAVE to shower daily but now I shower every 3 days. I have a stand up shower and it is difficult. I will lean on the wall of the shower with warm water hitting my back ( which is always in pain) and rest for a few. Shaving my legs is a nightmare. I'm so glad I have an understanding husband. You are not alone.

Harpert, glad to hear I'm not the only one who skips a day or two. In fact, I got in trouble with my son in law shortly before Christmas for telling my granddaughter who is seven that "grandma only showers once a week whether she needs it or not". It was a joke but she was to young to understand that so she repeated it back to her dad and he got on me about it. They are having a difficult time getting her to shower, brush her teeth and change her underwear on a daily basis. I explained to her that it was only a joke and that yes, she should shower on a daily basis if she is going to be around other people. Like you, I lean on the shower wall and let the water run down my back. It feels so amazing but I can't stand up for very long so I have to be quick about it. Usually I will get myself wet, turn off the shower, wash my hair, turn the shower back on, rinse my hair, turn the shower off again, condition my hair and wash my body then turn the shower back on and rinse my hair and body. I can't leave the shower running for the entire time because the heat and steam wear me out so bad.

I need a frequent hot shower in the morning to help with the pain and stiffness of my lower-back due to DDD.

What I find useful are a plastic shower stool, so I don't need to stand while showering. Also, have switched out my regular shower head for a Waterpik handheld-type with a long hose that reaches me when I'm sitting/washing.

And after my partner fell in the shower last year and broke an arm, the installation of grab-bars helped make showering safer for all.

Be safe, everyone!

I want to thank you all for responding to this post. I have had fibro for at least 8 yrs. It used to be easier for me to shower but 4 yrs ago I was in an accident and I went from med level fibro to as my Dr puts it completely off the charts fibro. It is very difficult for me to shower now and for the reasons you posted. I am not alone and I am not crazy. THANK YOU THANK ALL

Hi,

I definitely agree, I have to wait to get enough mental and physical energy to get to the shower.

Some days it's just so hard to scrub my hair and wash myself.On really bad days I might sit down in the shower to rest my legs and vegetate.

It's sad that we have to conserve our energy just to take a shower. But that's Fibro

That is why we don't have enough energy for sex lol! (Good excuse)

Sagey

I simply have to take a shower everyday (put it down to childhood trauma aka years of bedwetting) but on most days, it becomes a huge task I put off for hours. I used to be a person who got up and showered right away to wake up, but now I have to wait for the meds to kick in, for my body to warm up etc.

So I try to make the shower experience as refreshing and fun as possible - I pamper myself with lots of lovely smelling shower gels and sponges, shampoos (often 2 in one - less effort) I also invested in a variety of towels - thick, small, heavy, large, light etc. and 2 bathrobes. Depending on my pain/fatigue, I choose the towel/robe accordingly.

Drying off seems to be the most difficult part for me. I get cold very easily, exhaust myself from drying all the corners and details, so I have to rest in between. I also keep my hair short, so drying it is easier as well. (the only time I am grateful for my very thin hair)

I wish there was a 'body-dryer', you step in, get dried in a few seconds, and done - or how about instead of a car wash, a 'body wash-tunnel'...roll me in, wash me top to bottom (softly/slowly!), dry me off...done! :)))))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back