Not open for further replies.

Uhura

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
This isn't a new a new symptom, just one that no one has explained to me. Does anyone else have it where there upper body skin is hot to the touch. It doesn't always hurt although it is worse during a flare up. It is just that if you put your hand on it, it feels hot. Neck and upper body the most hot. But lower legs and feet are normal, although the lower leg can be cold at times even if the rest of my body is fine. I have been promised it isn't a circulation problem. It started when I got fibromyalgia, accompanied by nerve pain.

Does anyone else experiece this. I don't feel like there is any tingling or like bugs are under my skin. I just wonder why part of my body feels hot when the rest is fine or at most in a flare up of nerve pain. (That is different than the fibromyalgia in that different parts of my skin can burn but not feel hot but in a fibromyalgia flare up my legs feel like I have been over-exercising and they are about to give out even though they never do give out.)

Hi Uhura,

I haven't experienced this myself, but I remembered reading somewhere that people with FM have something strange going on with their skin - so something local, rather than simply issues with nerve signalling and the brain. Apparently all sorts of skin issues can come up with the condition, and around 50% of FM patients have trouble in this area, ranging from phantom sensations through to all-out rashes. Took me a moment to find it again, but this was the study!

This is from the FMA UK website:
A Swedish study published in 1997 in the Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology also suggests immune system involvement. The researchers took skin biopsies from 25 patients with FM and compared them with healthy controls, patients with rheumatoid arthritis and patients with local chronic pain following whiplash injury. They found that the biopsies from fibromyalgia patients had significantly higher values of immunoglobulin G deposits in the dermis and blood vessel walls and a higher number of mast cells. Mast cells are white blood cells that release histamine, which is known to cause itching, allergies and rashes. Increased mast cell activity indicates that the immune system is overactive and is likely to be adding to the oversensitivity of the skin nerve endings increasing the overall dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system responses.
If you Google "FMA UK Fibromyalgia and Skin Problems" you can read the whole article. Perhaps this is what's causing your skin heat... It says Vitamin D can help skin irritation, so perhaps try that out if you haven't already. I hope you find something useful!

Interesting. A lot of what they talk about, a lot of what people have from fibromyalgia, I have had since before I got fibromyalgia because I am also on the autism spectrum. So the touch thing where for example if someone touches you and then stops, most people stop feeling that touch when the person takes their hand away. I continue to feel it. And the sensitivity to light and other things that are accompanied by autism were not new to me when I got fibromyalgia. It was the pain and nerve pain that were new to me.
Oh well. So far I am not doing too badly today. Unlike a lot of people with fibromyalgia that I read about, nights are hardest for me.

How is everyone else doing today?

I also tend to have a worse time at night, Uhura - particularly when I'm in a bad flare. I think for anyone dealing with multiple conditions, it can be incredibly hard to know where one thing stops and the next starts. For me, looking back, I am certain that my fibro symptoms built up gradually over years, with cognitive issues and depression dominating with low rumbles of certain types of pain before the full cacophony manifested. Between all the different symptoms that people seem to experience, it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario - and we all seem to each have such a different ride!

I'm glad to hear you're not doing too badly today - even if it's still not great. I'm having not the best couple of weeks, but things have been worse - and the other side will arrive eventually 🙃 Thank you for asking!

Omg this is weird. I hate being touched, it's painful & has been for years. I only ever wear shorts because I can't bear anything touching my legs(it's bad enough that I have to wear shorts & socks/shoes. My torso isn't too bad but still causes me issues. & on top of that the CS/Fibro comes along & makes it unbearable. Someone told me it's a form of TD (Tactile Defensiveness) but i'm not so sure, I just think i'm odd. I freak out at the thought of silk or those other materials that others seem to like so much. I have to wash new clothes/towels god knows how may times before they become worn/stiff/tough (old worn in feeling?) The toiletries aisle/Pharmacy drives me berserk as well, the smell gets in my eyes (that wasn't a typo) & makes them dry & painful, & I end up rubbing them till i'm red in the face.

I'm glad to hear someone else with the same kind of thing. I'm not i'm horrified because I wouldn't wish it on anyone else, but I feel kinda glad that someone has this & I feel a little better knowing it's not just in my head.

Omg this is weird. I hate being touched, it's painful & has been for years. I only ever wear shorts because I can't bear anything touching my legs(it's bad enough that I have to wear shorts & socks/shoes. My torso isn't too bad but still causes me issues. & on top of that the CS/Fibro comes along & makes it unbearable. Someone told me it's a form of TD (Tactile Defensiveness) but i'm not so sure, I just think i'm odd. I freak out at the thought of silk or those other materials that others seem to like so much. I have to wash new clothes/towels god knows how may times before they become worn/stiff/tough (old worn in feeling?) The toiletries aisle/Pharmacy drives me berserk as well, the smell gets in my eyes (that wasn't a typo) & makes them dry & painful, & I end up rubbing them till i'm red in the face.

I'm glad to hear someone else with the same kind of thing. I'm not i'm horrified because I wouldn't wish it on anyone else, but I feel kinda glad that someone has this & I feel a little better knowing it's not just in my head.
This is allodynia, GrumpyGit. Also a fairly common fibro symptom, so not in your head at all. The sensations can be quite varied for different sufferers. You're certainly not alone in your experiences!

This isn't a new a new symptom, just one that no one has explained to me. Does anyone else have it where there upper body skin is hot to the touch. It doesn't always hurt although it is worse during a flare up. It is just that if you put your hand on it, it feels hot. Neck and upper body the most hot. But lower legs and feet are normal, although the lower leg can be cold at times even if the rest of my body is fine. I have been promised it isn't a circulation problem. It started when I got fibromyalgia, accompanied by nerve pain.

Does anyone else experiece this. I don't feel like there is any tingling or like bugs are under my skin. I just wonder why part of my body feels hot when the rest is fine or at most in a flare up of nerve pain. (That is different than the fibromyalgia in that different parts of my skin can burn but not feel hot but in a fibromyalgia flare up my legs feel like I have been over-exercising and they are about to give out even though they never do give out.)
My lower right leg is the same. I had a knee replacement years ago. I have not walked in way over a year. Right in the middle of my leg (between my knee and ankle) I have horrible pain, fire heat inside my leg, pain and hot on outside of leg. I can't stand any touch to my upper body either. Been to so many doctors, no answers.

HI. Anyone here hate air conditioning? In a severe flare I want it or a fan on me and feel my nerve pain needing ice pack. In everday life, I just hate how direct it feels. Too hot or too cold. Been this way since since before fibromyalgia.

My wife - without FM - has always often had hands very hot to the touch, and we don't know why either. Curious, I just found 2 articles on healthline (this title & hot feet) and on medicalnewstoday which showed me that this obviously is something different & 'unknown of'. My question to check wd be thyroid. My personal workaround wd (as ever) be trying cold showering.
As to air conditioning: Yes, me, definitely, anything windy, fans, wind, even slight breezes. Yesterday hot & breezy after short times cycling & having got a severe sore throat at night anyway, I decided not to go on a bike trip, as I was fearing getting ill and the wind was also creeping into my limbs as pain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back