Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2020
Country
US
State
WA
Does anyone know if skin odor from overactive sebaceous glands is related to fibromyalgia? I've had sebaceous dermatitis for at least 10 years, but over the past year it must have gone into overdrive because I've noticed a musky, sometimes cheesy, smell coming from my scalp, face, and neck. I've seen it associated with Parkinson's, but nothing on FM. Anyone else experiencing this or know someone who has? Thanks.

Wash your hair everyday with a good tea tree oil shampoo. Either get a tea tree soap for face and neck or use the shampoo on face and neck.

Not sure if this helps at all but you could try chlorophyll liquid drops. I found this after reading the reviews. It helps with skin issues and acts like a natural deodorant from the inside out. The tee tree wash is also great. it has helped with the itchiest scalp ever. good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if skin odor from overactive sebaceous glands is related to fibromyalgia? I've had sebaceous dermatitis for at least 10 years, but over the past year it must have gone into overdrive because I've noticed a musky, sometimes cheesy, smell coming from my scalp, face, and neck. I've seen it associated with Parkinson's, but nothing on FM. Anyone else experiencing this or know someone who has? Thanks.
Hi! Alright, is it normal to get excited when you meet someone with same symptoms?

Holy crow do I know what you are going through. Mottling, lesions, odor my skin was like a new beast for me.

I worked with my Dermatologist who is graciously aware that I don't have a lot of money to be throwing down on treatments.

1. I use Nizarol SA as directed for my scalp. I also use a scalp brush. I use Nioxin as directed to regrow hair I've lost. I use Briogeo's tea tree oil scalp treatment. I use Andalou or Jason's hair care products when I don't need the SA. Zinc Pyrithione from Purdador actually irritated my scalp condition.

2. I use Naturium's Glycolic Body Wash. I use Kenkoderm's SA lotion on trouble spots for my skin. I use Cetaphil Eczema Lotion (has collodial oatmeal, shea butter and sunflower seed oil). On the rest of my body. When I shave I dilute 70% Isopropyl Alcohol 2:1 with water on a cotton swab to clean the area. I use deodorant and then apply Cetaphil lotion. This limits the razor burn + folliculitis I get. I use Pipette's diaper rash cream on my bottom and my bikini line as underwear + excessive sweating irritate my skin there.

3. For my face I use Cetaphil's Gentle Face Wash. I use a Benzoyl Peroxide wash that's made in the pharmacy. Pan Oxyl is an OTC one. My insurance covers the pharmacy one. I use Dermatologica's $16 travel sized microexfoliant. Naturium just came out with an SA wash too. For active sores that are weeping I use the Collodial acne spot covers. I use a Niacinamide toner + adaplene gel for my sebaceous pores. I use Dermacalm SOS therapy face moisturizer by Amelie Monnier. I got it on Amazon. It's clinically tested and doesn't contain mineral oil or vegetable oil like the other known brands of skincare lotions. Also avoid anything with Olive Oil in skincare, as it is great for the heart but clinically shown to worsen the skin barrier.

4. After I workout or have the wonderful experience of excessive sweating I shower. I don't use Sulfates in my soaps or shampoos, so they don't dry out or irritate my skin/scalp. For any odd rashes that pop up that aren't hives I use a corticosteriod cream like Cortizone. For hives I take Benadryl. I have a body deodorant spray called Duradry with mineral salts so I can spray this anywhere that gets extra sweaty.

5. I have a rx Clindamycin ointment and a Spirnolctone oral med to help combat the cystic acne and rosacea I get. I have an antibacterial rx ointment for those stinky, scabby folliculitis open lesions.

6. I launder my sheets, pillow covers, towels and wash clothes with a sanitizing detergent. I have a reg detergent and in the conditioning spot I add the sanitizing. I don't reuse towels or face cloths. And, I change my sheets twice a week.

I had to do quite a bit of experimenting to get here.

Working with a dermatologist is a must for me. As is keeping a regular skincare regimen. I need to exfoliate more than most people, because my sebaceous glands are out of whack. The derm and I chose these skincare items, because they are clinically tested and avoid the irritating ingredients.

I haven't had to use the antibacterial rx since I've started this regimen. And, the burning sensations I used to get have gone away completely. But definitely work with a doctor, because each person has their own sensitivities and there are a lot of different skin conditions.

I also do "ice baths" it's just cold water for as long as I can tolerate it. I'm actually allergic to the cold, so I take Benadryl after mine to counter the hives. Or I'll use ice packs on my face or affected area.

I've also stuck to natural fibers in clothing and bedding. My derm didn't recommend this it just feels better on my skin.

I hope this helps. Please keep me updated.

I also forgot to add to work with your GP or PCP. There quite a few hormones, and vitamin deficiencies that can play a role in skin conditions.

I, for instance, am incredibly low in Vitamin D. So, my doc has me on the highest IUs of D3. It's affecting my hair loss.

My thyroid and hormone levels were normal.

I don't know how much you've already done, but I know for me and my docs the vitamin checks were lower on the checklist to rule out.

I'm actually allergic to the cold
Oh wow...so am I. I wonder if there is a connection of breaking out in hives (uticaria) and fibromyalgia?

a connection of breaking out in hives (urticaria) and fibromyalgia?
Well, I'd then definitely be thinking of MCAS, mast cell activation syndrome, as co-morbidity, like I have....

Interesting point @JayCS. I never thought of that. I will research MCAS. Is there a website that you would recommend? My doctor's appointment is on Monday so I am making a list of what tests to ask for.

For MCAS I like Bruce Hoffman (hoffmancentre) best/most. Not on youtube, but also saw him in a week long webinar and there he also seemed good.
Richard Hagmeyer (site & youtube) has a few interesting points, but I don't like his "style".

But generally like my allergist suggested a questionnaire is a good starting point, like "mastzellen uni bonn validated questionnaire". That's a questionnaire from Molderings the German expert who works closely together with others like Afrin (others are Akin and Theoharides). Like with fibro criteria or the online test on our main homepage that questionnaire is a pointer for us and for docs. The questionnaire also lists typical tests that might help diagnose, blood and urine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back