Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2009
Country
US
State
OH
My doctor wants me to reduce the use of zolpidem and taper to not using it. However, until going on it several years ago I was getting very poor sleep. Now I sleep much better and am more active and have less pain. I am worried about going off of it. What other recommendations other than melatonin can increase deep sleep?

As fibromyalgia is neurological, the sleep aspect is the hardest to tackle without medications.

Any website, supplement recommendations? what are other peoples experiences with sleep aids like zolpidem?

The best solution for a good night's sleep is often:
  • Getting some light to moderate exercise done throughout the day
  • Keeping a regular sleep schedule
  • Avoid all caffeine at least 6-8 hours prior to bed
  • Avoid technology, phones, TV, and similar prior to bed
* please note, product recommendations, websites ads, and link advertisements will be deleted *

One very natural method is to have climaxed either on you own or by a partner. The body will be relaxed, and it's easy to fall asleep without any medication.

I've stopped taking pain killers as they were reducing my libido, which among other side effects was causing phimosis, tightening of the foreskin, due to not having any erections. This meant that when i did get an erection it was so tight the skin would tear by over stretching. Not very pleasant, no bleeding but lots of tiny splits around the foreskin. Which leads to even less desire to get an erection.

But by stopping the pain killers, regular stretching of the foreskin, and now masturbation before going to sleep, i get a fairly good sleep. I still have pain and tiredness when i do wake up, but if i get my self washed and dressed rather than turn over and go back to sleep. I can have a good day starting at 9am rather than 2pm if i go back to sleep.

Give yourself a task or something you want to do, in the morning, and think about what you are going to do and how, when you do go to bed. In the morning, try and remember what you have planned, and get up. And do it.

It's a slow process, but i got through it. Now my sleep is better, I get more done, I feel happier and I'm ready for sex even if its on my own.

I hope I haven't shocked you, with my cure, but i think you will find doctors will agree with my findings.

I too have this same problem and the same complaint as you do. And if you are anything like me there isn't anything that can help other than medication. It's unfortunate but so far true. If your Dr. wants to taper you off and you know this will lead to sleepless nights and more pain than I think you need to have a talk with them. This is exactly what my Dr. did as well. So, I got the courage up and told her that she can't taper me. Not yet anyway. At least that is what I want. I have too many issues with sleep as it is. Even with the medication. Taking it away will just be disastrous for me. She argued with me and told me all the reasons why she wanted to taper me when I knew there was only one reason for her to taper me despite what I said to her, and that is fear. That day she didn't taper me but I thought we were under an understanding for the next month and the month after that. The next month came and she said nothing to me and wrote it out. So I expected no change. Well, she completely ignored me and started tapering me anyway and said nothing to me about her changing the milligram. She tried to be sneaky I guess. She probably thought I wouldn't notice. I got home and went to bed as usual but couldn't fall asleep. Since I was having trouble sleeping half the time even with the higher milligram I didn't suspect anything that first night. But when it happened again and again I knew something was fishy and went and looked at my bottle. Sure enough, she brought it down. A lot of doctors don't either care enough or are too scared when prescribing anything that "is a controlled substance". So, if your doctor doesn't listen either then you will just have to go find another doctor which I am in the process of doing. Due to the coronavirus, I haven't been able to see any doctors so I have to wait a little longer. But I don't have a choice and you might not either. Just being real. I have been dealing with Insomnia in which I now believe has been Narcolepsy this whole time, Fibromyalgia, and many other disabling conditions for 20 years. And nothing has changed for me for the good in the medical community. I wish it were different. But the fight goes on. Good luck to you.

I use Tizandine to go to sleep. It's a muscle relaxer. It will knock u out. Don't see how it's used for anything else.

Hi JenT.
I have never taken zolpidem so have nothing to say about that specifically.
However, I would say this: if you have been taking a medication for a long time and have no side effects and it is successful for you, don't let anyone talk you into or force you to taper off it unless it is an addictive substance or in some other way actually dangerous.

If you need something new to try, you might consider Trazadone, which is actually an anti-depressant but works very well for some people to help them sleep, and is non-narcotic, non-addictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back