sleep problems and using a weighted blanket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a cotton sheet folded to a quarter. Weighted sheets contain materials not suitable to a Fibromyalgia sufferer!
Cotton all the way. Not even wool!
The thing about this is that we are not all alike. The things that clearly are unsuitable for one person with fibro are fine for another, so statements like this are not really true over all.

It is very useful for all of us to mention what triggers each of us, and what makes things better; what we can tolerate and what we cannot. It helps to inform others and let people know that others have the same experiences. But no one thing is true of all of us.

While I generally eschew synthetics, I do wear 100% polyester base layers when it is cold, as these are the warmest. I have no problem whatever with wool or any other fiber in clothing, with only one exception: wool socks. Can't wear them unless on top of another sock. But if the wool socks are not next to my skin they are fine. Wool in a blanket or sweater is just fine.

You're so right Sunkacola - it is so important to remember that we're all different, and the things that we each experience might not apply perfectly to others. The wonderful thing about being here in a forum like this is that we can share our experiences and take in the ideas and suggestions of other people from all around the world, but ultimately find and choose our own path - the one that works best for our unique body and perspective.

The more I discuss fibromyalgia with fellow sufferers, the more I realise how diverse its presentation can be. For you, having moderated this forum for such a long time, that awareness must be so much broader! The way I see it, knowing about those differences can comfortingly reassure us all that we're not going potty (I know I have those moments) and of course, we can support each other towards a better baseline.

I know something is wrong if my muscles burn. That’s the sign i don’t like something on or near me. I.E. some synthetics within a 2 meters can affect me greatly. Dust as well. It’s my body not the item.
As for reviews… I’m sorry as someone who reads reviews avidly I have found their all subjective and are fairly unreliable. As a Fibromyalgia sufferer it is impossible to stop oneself from being a throwaway person. You have to try and test yourself as no one is the same. We’re all suffering something like the same issues but not for the same reasons.

We are too complicated for the world to understand and therefore likely never to be helped! I no longer personally listen to anything the world says or does. It matters nothing anymore as my world cannot be understood by anyone out there. I had the most understanding wife ever, yet my illness nearly destroyed her.

So, no to partners but friends applenty. Unless I’m cured… of course!

Last edited:
As for reviews… I’m sorry as someone who reads reviews avidly I have found their all subjective and are fairly unreliable. As a Fibromyalgia sufferer it is impossible to stop oneself from being a throwaway person. You have to try and test yourself as no one is the same. We’re all suffering something like the same issues but not for the same reasons.
OK, that's now agreed, as sunkacola and Jemima have also said: we are all different, also as regards problems with certain items...

But isn't that also what the reviews say?! That's how I read them anyway. Or can you give an example of what you mean? And do you mean a "review" in the technical sense of a study measuring the reliability of studies - or differently, how? In my experience a review as opposed to a study is usually the most objective and reliable as far as medical evidence goes, often enough concluding that there is some evidence that some things help, but usually concluding that there is not enough evidence despite certain hunches about something.
We are too complicated for the world to understand and therefore likely never to be helped! I no longer personally listen to anything the world says or does. It matters nothing anymore as my world cannot be understood by anyone out there.
Yes, "we", meaning many medical conditions, are at the moment too complicated for medicine and maybe for the world. But what progress has been made by both regarding medical conditions and regarding FM in the last 20 years! We were non-existing, but now are generally being seen. All studies are still exasperatingly piecework, despite some (like Goebel's 'autoimmune' study in August) being presented in a disproportionately boastful way. But they are standing on each others shoulders, and after a decade of 600 studies a year (pubmed) on FM, they have gone up to 800 and probably more per year. They contain results that different kinds of mind matters, physio, diets, meds and supps can help us, but also that it's not easy, so we have to be proactive and self-advocate.
I hear you are no longer listening because others seem to have hurt you so often and similarly we all do well to turn away from leeches, vampires and those who don't understand. You may not be in a position to be happy on your own or find people who are understanding (altho you say you have friends - do none of them really understand? Are they not friends?). But they do exist, here and elsewhere. Maybe you're here to listen, and certainly we're listening to you and hearing you, but wdn't want you to end up in self-fulfilling prophecies thru general distrust. I agree that no-one else can help us better than we can help ourselves, but we do need the suggestions of others for new ideas. That's why I love this forum, because it demonstrates and puts to life that we matter and find and share our thoughts and ideas. So a great place to be for listening and careful sharing.
I had the most understanding wife ever, yet my illness nearly destroyed her.
I very much understand the pain & grief - perhaps even feelings of guilt? - you're in over that and the resulting pessimism!

I think many of us can relate. My wife is also very understanding, sees my pain, but sometimes too understanding, too empathetic, catastrophyzing too much, when I'm in dog-mode ;-) (not realizing/thinking about my pain) she makes an issue of it, which doesn't make it better, and she suffers more than I do. But that's her problem, not mine, and I encourage her to let it go, like I do, and live that, which she sees, knows, tries to do. She suffers that I can hardly travel anymore, as she'd love to. But again that's her problem, I do my best to find a compromise which is advantageous for me while clearly self-caring. Like for instance testing overdoing something a little bit, like a 5-6mi walk today using my new supps, despite some cold & wind there. And a week's holiday one hour from home, 3 days of which I was 'ill' and cdnt do much. But no more seaside trips with me: If she needs to, then alone or with someone else. We are still finding compromises, and I'm confident that my supps will allow a bit more. These are things I talk with my psychologist about, and she confirms the way I go about it. And my wife talks with counsellors and friends about it herself. So I do think there are good ways of living with loved ones without it destroying them - but you do have to work at it. FM is a sudden death of parts of our old life and so new life which no one asked for, especially not in that speed and force. That needs a thorough grieving process, to empower a new orientation, new activity to make the most of it, and hope and not stay stuck in the grief about the old life. (My old life like many of ours was very active and I seemed to be defining myself by this activity, but thankfully I'd worked on not doing so all along, so I can embrace my new life of self-care very well, as unaccustomed as it seems to allow myself to do what I want and my body needs instead of serving others with all my energy, self-caring meaning having learnt to want what my body needs and keeping what my mind wants inside those limits, which is still a lot.)

Last edited:
@JayCS

So sorry to say you have completely misunderstood what I have said. That’s the way and problem with the world. That is why I no longer listen to it! It’s full of irrelevant thoughts, ideas, and opinions.

People just actually don’t listen anymore they just form opinions over other peoples issues. Just like the Doctors in the NHS.

Wasteful thinking.

@JayCS

So sorry to say you have completely misunderstood what I have said. That’s the way and problem with the world. That is why I no longer listen to it! It’s full of irrelevant thoughts, ideas, and opinions.

People just actually don’t listen anymore they just form opinions over other peoples issues. Just like the Doctors in the NHS.

Wasteful thinking.
With absolute respect, Mr Bee, if you feel that way, why on earth are you here?

Please be aware that when you make negative blanket statements like these, every reader will assume you are also describing them. Insulting those who are looking for help in a forum like this is inappropriate and unnecessary.

Last edited:
Hiya @JayCS, i think I’d like to try the sleep lab thing, how did you go about it? did they check brain waves too? I’m not sure if we’ve got things like that in our area, but I’d like to try. apparently our brainwaves keep coming out of deep sleep mode (or so I read?) might explain the abnormal tiredness some of us get ??????? 🐹🐹< (nearest I could find to guinea pigs haha)

Respect? In dissection of every detail I impart to your website? Really now you have just emphasised exactly what I said!

Respect? In dissection of every detail I impart to your website? Really now you have just emphasised exactly what I said!
Please understand, I'm not commenting on the information you share in relation to Fibromyalgia - your insights are appreciated! I'm just hoping that you might be mindful of the emotional impact of your negative phrasing.

Hi @Mr Bee the opinions of the forum members are just a way of trying to help and support, we’re all in the same boat + we all have a very odd/debilitating condition, we’re just trying, we can’t really do any more, that’s why the forum was set up so fibro suffers can align with each other and if we’ve found something good/helpful-pass it along, it is life effecting, for ourselves and for the people in our personal spheres (as you’ve sadly experienced) that’s all we can do? ? ? 🧚‍♀️🧚🏻‍♂️🐝

Last edited:
No one here is dissecting your every comment. We comment on other people's comments all the time, to agree or not to agree. . Everyone, including you, is welcome here to say what they feel or think, but if you say insulting things about what others have said, you will be called on it.

Blanket statements that start out with "people don't...." are always going to be inaccurate, because no statement can possibly apply to the entire population of homo sapiens, so people will take exception to those statements, and some will say so in their reply.

I understand you have had bad experience. I have too. So have others here. And if you choose to say "people I have encountered always....." then no one will take offense or have a problem with what you say.

But you have not met everyone. And my guess is that many people here are not what you describe with your sweeping statements, especially as they have had similar experiences to yours. It can be very comforting and also highly informative to enter into conversation here because in some ways we are all in the same boat with fibromyalgia, despite it having different manifestations in each of us. But if a person pushes everyone away by insisting that no one listens or understands, that person won't gain the same benefit from being here and I think that would be a shame.

I get that you are very disappointed about people and this comes from your experience and I am truly sorry that you have had such experiences. I have probably had as many bad experiences as you have. Seriously. Many people here have, and that can be the beauty of a forum like this. we can commiserate. I am disappointed with people too. But I know that my feelings or opinions on that don't apply to everyone, and I make a point of leaving room for people to show me that they are good people who will listen and not be disappointing. Some of those people are on this forum. Those folks aim to understand and to help.

If you say the doctors don't listen to you, we will all join in with our own similar stories, because almost all of us have them. But if you say that about people on this forum - no one listens, - it is going to be commented on, and someone may disagree with you. If that bothers you, I suggest that you avoid making those sweeping blanket statements about people.

As I said, no one is interested in dissecting your comments. But we will reply to them with our own experience and opinions, just as you do.
We all have the opportunity to do that here, as long as we are not insulting one another.

So sorry to say you have completely misunderstood what I have said. That’s the way and problem with the world. That is why I no longer listen to it! It’s full of irrelevant thoughts, ideas, and opinions. People just actually don’t listen anymore they just form opinions over other peoples issues. Just like the Doctors in the NHS. Wasteful thinking.
Hmm, pity... - maybe I was "guessing" quite a bit and asking questions to see if I understood, because it was a bit short and so I didn't find it easy to understand. I take a long time before I form an opinion and I've haven't even formed too much of one about you now. What I see now tho is that you had formed an opinion before I answered and asked questions, that you are keeping it short despite my/our long answers, my questions and interest, and keeping to your opinion, and not listening to one single part of one of the 2 long answers of mine.
You say you know it all before you read, if I now understand you correctly?
You say "Wasteful thinking" - again such a short answer that I don't know what/who you mean. I could take it personally - maybe others would, maybe you too, but actually I feel like I'm listening to Hamlet or Ecclesiastes... a resigned (is that the word?) philosopher with irrelevant thoughts for maybe mental hygiene... So I can't take it personally at all and won't form an opinion about it, maybe ask:
Do you mean yourself or do you mean me? Should I not waste my thoughts on you or you not on me? Or is it a general moan about the world?
You know yourself best, praps, and are not precluding yourself... so maybe you're just talking with and about yourself?... :cool:

I actually found your pondering & ideas thought-provoking and not a waste for myself at all, otherwise I wdnt have bothered spending time on them. Also looking back I don't regret a word, even tho you seem beyond taking any of it in, or maybe you have completely misunderstood what I have said... Interesting that my ideas, actually heartily felt and aiming to support and help, come over to you as "dissecting" - first time anyone's said that. When I go into detail, if that's what you mean, I am actually taking you very seriously, perhaps much more seriously than you are intending or more seriously than you can believe anyone might be truly interested in you. But I am. That's the way I am and I'm not sorry for it.
I'm wondering what kind of reactions you are looking for. None at all? Agreement? Do you want me/us to feel provoked or insulted? Or do you want to just vent and show us what kind of a person you are?
Questions, questions, no opinions, too mysterious, too hard to understand, but if you answer any questions or go into details yourself, I'll be glad to continue listening. :cool:

Last edited:
sleep lab thing, how did you go about it? did they check brain waves too? I’m not sure if we’ve got things like that in our area, but I’d like to try. apparently our brainwaves keep coming out of deep sleep mode (or so I read?) might explain the abnormal tiredness some of us get ??????? 🐹🐹< (nearest I could find to guinea pigs haha)
Yep, I do think everyone should try it, even tho it didn't help me too much. There's two kinds: more pneumatology or, psychiatry/neurology, some have both. And you can go into the lab there or let them come home. I'dve slept a lot worse there, so was happy they suggested coming. A male nurse put the whole contraption on me, brain, heart, pulse, breathing, the whole lot. Surprisingly I slept quite well & long, despite the blood pressure being measured regularly. Firstly they "found" I was snoring 78% of the time, which I and my wife contended, so I recorded my breathing for 8h and snorted about 5mins of it. So disproved that. But my nostrils often close up at night, and having something stuck at the front of my nostrils might not disturb others, but it does me. But that made me check with my ENT, who suggested lasering - instead then and again now I'm finding different ways of stopping my nose clotting. Second they say that my dream time and deep sleep time was reduced. The great thing however was tho that both psychiatrists were pretty nice and listened, thae main one recommending two psychologists (who cdnt help, had no idea of pain psychology, so after a time I've now gone back to a good one I'd been to a couple of times pre-fibro), and his "assistant" turned out to be a brilliant listener and helped with a spinal tap (ooooouch!) to check if it's anything like MS, but was also interested & constructively commenting on my supps, suggested trying a med in case it is RLS, thinking outside the box...
Maybe I was lucky. But since sleep is such a core, why not make sure?

I’d like to try it, how do you do it from home? Do you have the put the contraption on your head and stick wires on you? Do you take the machine home or something?did the dr refer you or private? It’s interesting I find brainwaves and brainwave levels interesting anyway but more so fibro ones 🧠 🌊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back