sleep problems and using a weighted blanket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoXfear

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/2017
Country
NL
For the past year i've been using a weighted blanket with a cover that you can wash. I've noticed since using it that my sleep and the pain in the morning has gotten much better. While it is a expensive thing to buy (€150,- for the one i use), the difference it has made in my energy levels and overall pain especially when waking up made it all worth it. I seem to sleep deeper and even if i don't sleep i feel somewhat rested. So if you have trouble sleeping this may be worth the try.

Good to see it mentioned here, seems a pretty British thing, maybe due to the cultural differences in bed stuff.
I've considered it (I'd've needed to get an even more expensive one organic cotton from I think Sweden), but my trials with making my blankets more/heavier made me feel it only helps for a short time and then I have to break out of it and free myself and recover...

I use one from a dutch company called simply cosy. They have 3 different types of covers and i use them without my normal blanket and in the winter with my normal blanket on top of it. the best one to choose is 8kg.

I tried once a few years ago and I woke up in more pain. The weight of the 15lb one was to much for me. I guess it works for some and doesn't for others.
Glad it has helped you out.

Just watching TV commercials for weighted blankets makes me - all kidding aside - claustrophobic! I sleep year round with nothing more than a bedsheet or a light fleece blanket over myself. I also sleep hot, so the thought of being covered by a warm, weighted blanket is a non-starter for me in more ways than one! LOL!

I believe that, as Drummer76 said earlier, those things work for some and don't work for others, for various reasons. But it's good to know it's an option that works for some people with fibromyalgia, as long as being covered by one doesn't cause either anxiety or excess warmth!

I have been using an weighted blanket myself for about two years. It's 25 lbs and it works for me! I'm a military veteran with PTSD, fibromyalgia, 2 neck fusions from C3-C7. I live in chronic pain from all this, to include chronic headaches. I definitely recommend the weighted blanket, because it works and helps me greatly to get better sleep. I toss and turn all night every night, but now a little less with blanket.

claustrophobic
Yes, that sort of fits for what the trials with heavy blankets did to me, not as a mental fear, but physically, unfree, pinning me down... Someone told me if it's too much then they just throw it off, but this feeling lingers on in me for quite some time, causing great discomfort, which makes me have to get up or even (cold) shower to be able to sleep again.
That may be different due to fibro: It reminds me of me needing cuddling at night before fibro, but hardly tolerating it since then. Some of the people who like weighted blankets say it's got to do with the cuddling feeling. That's the reason why I thought it might be something for me.
Another factor may be like Mirador also says that I often get warmer & colder all night, have to balance that out quickly with more or less clothes, duvets, but small things/changes (apart from always 4 pairs of socks).
May sound silly, but I sometimes wonder if not feeling cuddled ('loved') enough (all my life actually) was an emotional cause of fibro - altho that seems to contradict not tolerating it for long now...
Some people intensify it by also using compression gloves and socks. Tried tighter socks myself to prevent more varicosis, but didn't like that either, prefer just putting my legs up as often as possible.

Last edited:
Crealoa17, I sleep with a pregnancy pillow that envelopes my body and the covers lay over the top of it. The only part of my body that has covers directly over it is my lower legs that I have folded a light quilt and place over them. I can not sleep with clothing on either or wake up feeling so uncomfortable, so I understand the pillow tunnel.

Crealoa17, I sleep with a pregnancy pillow that envelopes my body and the covers lay over the top of it. The only part of my body that has covers directly over it is my lower legs that I have folded a light quilt and place over them. wake up feeling so uncomfortable, so I understand the pillow tunnel.
You just gave me an idea to use my giant stuffed animals on either side. Thank you!

I prefer weighted blankets too whatever the weather is. Its making more comfortable thus, I can really rest well. I've read that the deep pressure of the blanket is used to stimulate production of mood boosting hormones.

You just gave me an idea to use my giant stuffed animals on either side. Thank you!
It really can help. I sleep with a body pillow so that I can use it as a back rest or between my legs if I am on my side, or if on my back I put one leg up onto it.

Hi all :) Susan here newly diagnosed fibromyalgia gal, but suspect have had this since early 30’s if not late 20’s. I started using a weighted cooling blanket the last few months and it has made a world of difference. I picked it up for 50.00 at a home discount supply store. The brand is Pendleton. I was already taking trazadone, neurontin and flexeril but this was what facilitated a good sleep for me. I hope this helps.

I will have to try something like that as long as you don't get to hot under it I have the fibro sweats real bad, But as you can tell from the time on my post I am not sleeping I wake up several times during the night my legs never stop moving so this could be the ticket. Thank you for sharing this idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back