Not open for further replies.

Siderea

Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
ND
My doctor has me doing things differently at night so I not only fall asleep, but sleep well. I'm taking a mixture of herbs and melatonin 20 minutes before bed, and it's helping tremendously. I used to take valerian root on its own to help me sleep, and it was moderately helpful. This herb mixture includes a higher dosage of valerian root than I was taking along with about 10 other high doses of herbs to help knock me out. Believe it or not, the mixture isn't always enough. Sometimes my adrenaline is too high, but the greatest reason I have sleep problems is due to an overactive adrenal gland (which is overactive due to an inability to digest and absorb food, meaning I'm not creating energy.)

But I wanted more help with sleep. So I decided to try aromatherapy! I bought a diffuser with several neat features. It's a humidifier, pumping out lots of mist all night long. It also has a feature where it lights up and glows various colors, rotating through the colors slowly. The light is bright enough to read a book while laying in bed, but dim enough to create a sleepy night time atmosphere. As for the aromatherapy, I'm adding an organic blend of essential oils called "Tranquil," and it's powerful. I didn't expect a smell to affect me that much!

In other words, I LOVE my aromatherapy diffuser/ humidifier! I don't know what I'd do without it now that I'm getting used to it.

What are some natural methods you use to help "knock you out" at night so you can sleep?

Sleep is certainly the best cure I've found. If you've seen my other thread, naps are the only things that make me regain a normal level of energy, albeit for a short period of time afterwards (30mins-2hours). I'm fortunate as many CF sufferers do not get benefit from sleep at all, but it's good that it works for some of us.

Actually, I don't think that sleep is always something that really does help people that deal with a lot of pain issues. My husband is always a lot worse off if he spends too much time in bed.

That said, a glass of hot tea is one of the things that we will both do in the evening to help us fall asleep faster.

A sharp whack on the top of the head with a rubber mallet helps me to sleep. Must be a rubber one as metal just dents the skull.

Getting good sleep absolutely helps, but it can be hard to come by. I've taken melatonin for a while, but after a few months it stops helping. Insomnia seems to be somewhat common with fibro and can really make everything worse. Sleeping pills don't seem to help a lot either. They help me sleep but it isn't very refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back