Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Mn
Hi All,
I've had 3 years of pain getting worse and worse and saw dr after dr and had numerous mris, blood tests for thyroid, etc....
Finally went to a Rhumo and was diagnosed last month w fibro.

My grandma had it as well.

here's my question--- i only have the pain in my face-- its on both sides--- yet the right side is worse than the left. its from in back of my eyes (which causes dry eyes and i can no longer wear contacts) to going down my cheeks and then pain into my jaw.

the face pain is horrific-- but i have pain in no other part of my body. its almost like my cheeks are pulsing the pain is so bad.:cry:

Which is what gets me to wonder if its Fibro or Trigeminal Neuralgia (sp)-- even though they say that's only on one side of the face.

Can you only have Fibro pain in the face?

Thanks for any advice. The Dr put me on 60 mg of Cymbalta and I also use an infrared sauna at home-- unfortunately I'm not seeing any relief from either

Aimee

Welcome You can have fibro pain in any part of the body. Sometimes you can have fibro pain in one places for months weeks years.then you find it can move.move anywhere.
It can stay in your face ,but u might find you start hurting in a new place at anytime.
Sorry it's not great news .

I agree with forgetmenot, it can start and stay in one place, or it can spread slowly or it can spread like a forest fire. I am not joking about this but have you ever thought about having your head examined. It might be something in your brain that is causing pain only in your face. I don't know. I wish you the best of luck though.

I have face jaw and head pain most of the time...have you heard of tmj disorder. The pain radiates from your jaw with various causes...but it can also be part of fibro too. Usually to get a diagnosis of fibro the pain has to be in all quadrants of the body....but the others are correct it can start anywhere and either stay there or move around randomly.

There is also something called mayofacial pain syndrome...this is different to fibro and can affect singular areas...you could ask to see a neurologist who often is more experienced with head/face pain and often treatment is still a low dose anti depressant like amitryptiline, but I am sure a neuro would have many medications available to try under his supervision if that is the route you would want to try.

TN can hit both sides of the face and is often associated with TMJ disorder. Each side of my face is affected slightly differently ...the right side is much stiffer than the left and i have had TN in my right side making it hard to chew or swallow without yelping.....luckily with rest the sharp electric shock pains improved but the deep aching and stiffness remains.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back