Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2004
Country
US
State
AZ
I have lost about 20 pounds in the past few years, probably because of the nausea I experience off and on without warning. Also nothing sounds good, looks good, or tastes good. (I also have sjorgrens, which apparently messes with my taste buds and leaves my dry tongue raw if I eat anything spicy or cold). Does anyone have a suggestion about what to eat after a bout of nausea and pain? I've been flaring for over a week. I don't have any yogurt and I don't like chicken soup. I do have eggs but I'm tired of eating eggs. Maybe cottage cheese? I made chimichangas last night for dinner but haven't eaten one yet because the thought turns my stomach...

I don't have this symptom, unfortunately. Sometimes nausea can be caused by being dehydrated, so maybe foods to hydrate. What about fruits and veggies? Sometimes the idea of heavy for foods makes me queasy too. Yogurt, humus with celery, and honestly sometimes potato chips are the only thing that sound good even though they are not hydrating. I hope you find something soon��

Reading this thread i have been suffering with dry mouth and a nasty taste...yuk sorry to be so graphic. My tongue is coated and no matter what i try salt rinses, tongue brushing, tongue scraper...i just end up sore and nasty taste still there. This is a new problem for me.... i am meant to go to dentist but honestly you have all been listening to me moan about the pain everywhere and high stress i just can't deal with what catastrophe might happen to my jaw and neck if i go as i can barely open my mouth to talk or eat and if i force it the pain goes nuts , jaw locks and my teeth are all bashing each other.

I feel stuck and so much has gone so bad i feel paralized and afraid to do anything different for fear of the consequences as just cant take one more thing.

My doctor gave me antibiotics which i reluctantly took as my gums were a bit sore to save me a dental visit while i am so poorly but it feels like my immunity has all gone haywire as i look after my oral health so thoroughly.

Do any of you have mouth tongue gum problems aside from LucyJane666 when usually you are fine? Any tips Lucyjane666 for dry mouth?

I sometimes get dry mouth from my medication and I use Biotine to help it. It seems to work reasonably well.

I get mild dry mouth too, I think it is from the flexeril. I drink a lot of water. I especially like unflavored soda water, it is very soothing.

A few weeks ago my doctor suggested I cut back a bit on how much water I drink. My sodium levels were too low.

Hi, Willow, as Krista said in the last post, Biotine helps, but it is temporary. I have to use biotene toothpaste because anything else makes my tongue sore and bleeding--yes, sometimes I taste blood. I also use the rinse. Rinsing with water and baking soda provides temporary relief, but it's best not to use hydrogen peroxide except occasionally because it stains the teeth. Drinking lots of water every day helps to hydrate and also rinse bacteria away. But honestly, I haven't yet found anything that puts the sjorgrens out of commission and stops the flare; it comes and goes as it pleases. Very painful, though.

You mention you've just taken antibiotics. Did the white coating start during or right after this prescription? If so, it may be thrush, an overgrowth of yeast, a common side effect of some antibiotics. Yogurt and probiotics are often used to cure yeast, but I use a prescription mouth rinse from my dentist when I develop yeast.

Like you, I have TMD (tempro-mandibular disorder) and my teeth are chipping from the dry mouth. It's important to keep your teeth clean when you have dry mouth as the lack of saliva can lead to decay, but if you're like me, some nights the pain is so bad that you just don't care! I, too, experience the nasty taste and food often tastes 'weird' or 'off.'

I was a periodontal hygienist BF (before fibro), so I'd suggest that you see your dentist, who may or may not help. My dentist recommends biotene, prescribes the medication for oral thrush, but ignores my chipped teeth. However, if you have chipped teeth that are rubbing or cutting/scraping the tongue you need an appointment to have them smoothed off so that they don't make things worse.

Good Luck, and God Bless you!

Getemgirl, I'm with you on the potato chips! Sometimes they are the only thing that sounds good, tastes good and satisfies some hunger. I think it has something to do with the salt in my case, because I think it helps with the nausea as well as my sore tongue.

I love fruits and vegs and eat a lot of fruit (never ever do I eat enough vegetables but I am trying...).

Usually after the nausea subsides (sometimes not for days), I am starving and could eat every bite of food in an entire restaurant! After a very stressful weekend away with the grand kids recently I came home so sick, couldn't eat, miserable from exhaustion, etc, I weighed myself. 127 lbs. I haven't weighed so little since my thirties. It scared me, primarily because I had not been dieting and the weight loss was a result of starvation. Not a good way to get thin. I weighed 156 at my highest weight (only a few years ago), but I was way too heavy, since I'm only 5'2," and since my diagnoses I have ranged from 133-145. I have to admit, I really liked having to buy size 6 jeans because my jeans were falling off me, but I am also happy to be back around 135 since it means that I am not starving because of these dreadful diseases.

Good luck and God Bless You and Us All

Thanks LucyJane......i do take really good care of my teeth, brush and floss twice a day etc and mouth rinse with water to help reduce any bacteria...infact i think i have over brushed thinking it will reduce dentist visits and foolishly worn away bits of my gums! Since getting fibro I haven't been as often as i know it will create pain and locking jaw afterwards for weeks.

A false economy as now i think i have some periodental problems from overbrushing and dry mouth and not getting one filling that cracked repaired.

I have been using biotene too for a few years.

I think i will have to go to the dentist like you say. I keep switching as they are not all as gentle as i need and haven't found someone i can kind of relax with. The guy i see is nice and listens but he is a bit heavy handed ...women dentists with small fingers and less pushing who only prod where needed suit me better these days as i am petite about 128lbs and 5ft 5 " with a smallish mouth and and fine jaw bone.

They say they understand fibro but they don't!

This coating has been coming and going for a while....usually i am all fresh and this is yukky. I have taken probiotics while taking antobiotics to try and help myself.

Thanks again warm hugs

Willow, I honestly believe that your dentist needs to be replaced if he is causing pain. Today's dentists know that many people who are older than thirty-forty years or more have a fear of the dentist from bad dentists we had in our childhoods. I have no idea how old you are, but if your dentist causes pain, find another dentist. Lets face it; injections aren't always pain-free, but a good dentist knows how to keep the discomfort at a minimal level. I think the main thing is trust. If you aren't comfortable with this dentist, then get another one soon.

I have a huge filling that was done many years ago, and the tooth finally cracked from the dry mouth. My dentist and hygienist agree with me; as long as there is no decay and no pain, I can wait to get it crowned. Expensive and something I'd prefer to put off as long as possible.

I, too, have root exposure, which means that the roots may eventually decay...or become sensitive. Sounds like you're doing a good job with hygiene. I'm sure that fibro affects the gums and teeth as well as everything else, since so many autoimmune diseases accompany fibro. Good luck to you, and gentle hugs as well.

Willow,
I have TMJ or Temporal Joint Dysfunction which sounds just like TMD/ same thing, different name. Anyway, I have been developing a lot of mouth sores since the summer of 2014. Sometimes they're on my gums or cheeks but usually, lately, they've been on my tongue. I spoke with my dentist about it when I went for my cleaning. He said I needed to take Valacyclovir. Its a prescription and its been working until recently. This most recent one popped up tonight on the top of my tongue but the previous one hasn't gone away yet. Its been about 2 weeks since that one formed.
I either get 5 or more at a time along my inner gumline or just one bad one that always gets in the way when I talk or chew. When my rheumy calls me back about my blood work I will have a question about these "herpetic eruptions", as my dentist calls them.

Gosh LucyJane and Cherlyl Ann i though i was alone with all these mouth issues. Sounds like its going to be another ongoing battle. Thanks for all the advice. I have the dentist today...he says he will have a gentle look and take a panoramic xray.

Dry mouth can be caused from Sjogrens Syndrome which I have along with FM. there is a blood test available to confirm it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back