So What Exactly is Happening in our Muscles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Flannery, and welcome to the forum.

the thing with FM is that no one knows what the actual causes of it are. the doctors don't know, the researchers don't know, and no one here knows. That's the whole crux of fibromyalgia. They don't know.

The good news is that you don't need to know the whys and the causes. In fact, I suggest that you not spend very much time or energy trying to find that out because you will not be likely to find anything, and your time and energy can be better spent working to manage your symptoms as best you can so that you can have a good life within your limitations.

I suggest you read the post I wrote full of advice on doing this. Several people have said it was helpful to them, and I hope it is for you.

I mirror this thought. Even the experts don't have a clear understanding of the whys, so all we can do is manage it as well as we can. Live a happy life in spite of the illness. Sometimes, it's lighter when we just stop trying to understand complicated things and simply accept and deal with as much grace as we can.

Hi Flannery, I am very interested in your line of inquiry. I have to agree with you that some voices are much louder than others and if you can't seek out information from those who suffer, where can you go? I would be very interested in discussing your approach to Fibro research, off forum, if needed. I try to read whatever comes across my desk as I also suffer from terrible frozen muscle syndrome in my sleep. Even in a forum, we have to find those like-mided individuals that give us comfort, as Sunkacola said,we are, after all, only human.

Hi All,
reading the forums we should always take in consideration that writing, instead of expressing vocally a thought, is an impersonal way to a message because the receiver is not in front of you or at the phone with you. No matter how much effort and love and compassion we put in writing, the message sometimes can be received in the wrong way.
I generally go over the potential "tone" of what s written and look the positive side of what everybody writes.
I m sure Sunkola did not mean to harm Flannert or anybody, however the message in the way it was written may have been perceived offensive by Flannery.
Said so, i see both point of views and although it s true that we can never figure the cause (because no doctor so far can), it is nice to see initiatives like Flannery directed to dont just talk about "ok i feel bad - yeah, i know it s FM, we all are in there, read my post" but to "lets discuss more in details what you guys physically feel at muscle levels (just an example)" and have a proactive discussion about it.
Best of love to both Sunkola and Flannery.

Hello all, just found the forum and very happy to have done so. I've been sick with ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia for almost 40 years and have gone from being able to work around home a few hours in the morning to now maybe an hour before the awful muscle pains/spasms start around my ribs wrapping around to my spine which is one of the symptoms I haven't found a way to deal with very well.

Heating pads help, for a bit. Sometimes hot baths, again for a bit it helps. Very small amounts of cannabis (edibles and in state where it is legal) help with the pain but often have to add a low dose codeine for the times the tight muscles make me think I'll soon hear/feel a rib snap. I'm sure it has inflamed the rib cartilage enough to give me a case of costochondritis.

I read all of the medical research that I can and am still left with just what is happening in our FM muscles. Lactic acid build up, neuralgia, not enough blood or oxygen in the muscles???? Does anyone have a better understanding than I do of what the main cause of all our muscle pain/tightness might be?
I have been in chronic pain over a year now. Primary doctor had no answers?? So I suggested to him since I also have pain in my bones and all over my body, sometimes flu like burning inside my legs. I have been to Pain Management, Breathing Dr. to test me, another Primary doctor, and OSMS (Orthopedic, still have appts. They have given me a shot in the hip, then last week in my back. It is helping 'part of my body' but my muscles hurt and I found the starting point. I still have chronic pain, they say it takes up to 14 days for back shot. The shot I had in my hip lasted 2 days. I never have had a hip problem. Now, for a little optimistic point of my view. I was so healthy when I moved back home here in Wisconsin, and then all of this. Is Wisconsin haunted or greedy doctors. I was in hospital ICU 2 days rest of week in hospital, left and felt worse than when I went in.

Hey Sister50! Thank you for your acknowledgment, little things mean so much. I’m 50ish too. Take care of you...and hope everyone else does too. Fibro sucks but we keep trying ❤️

I think it has a lot to do with lactic acid. The only one constant that works for me, is working out with weights at least 4x a week. If I skip even just one full week my symptoms start coming on strong. I truly believe that there is a connection with the lactic acid.
one time I went for a massage and even though I prefaced my conversation and concerns with the massage therapist about having fibromyalgia he went fairly aggressive with my one hour massage. After it was all said and done I ended up on the floor (that’s the only way I can get some relief; hard surface) for two weeks and having to take prednisone. Why do I think this happened?? Because a massage releases lactic acid.

Tracyann,
that is crazy. i went yesterday to a massage therapist and had same thing. told him about the fibro and i thought it would do a swedish relaxing massage. nope..he went strong and deep everywhere. but he also explained to me that there is a purpose on it and after 6 visits i will start to see the benefits.
it sounds like he wanted to sell me the package but i honestly trust him and his experience.
i ll update you after 6..i have two more this week and the rest next.

I usually don't tolerate anything tough, but I was surprised that a really strong tissue massage was OK for (dry) skin and back. I'm interested in hearing more.

Hi Mark: What was the answer from EpicGenetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back