Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
6/1997
Country
US
State
ca
Hi there - I am new to this site and have been out of work since March 2013. My disability benefits ended last year so have no income now.

I applied for social security disability and after jumping thru all the hoops and waiting for months I just got turned down.

I want to re-apply and have scheduled a consultation with am attorney because I don't think I would be successful re-applying without help.

Anyone out there have a similar experience or advice?

Since I will be eligible for social security next month @ 62 I looked into what my benefit would be for early retirement vs. social security and the difference is significant in favor of the disability.

Was wondering what an attorney might charge in the event that we win. Is it worth it to try?

First off since you applied and got turned down, I would say you are right to appeal the decision and try again and again if necessary. I appealed for years and was finally sent a letter concerning I was going to be sent to a meeting with a SSD judge. So that prompted me to hire a attorney, which delayed my case another year but I finally won my SSD, but the lawyer got $5000, of my back pay. However, my disability income was next to nothing, but was better than nothing. If yours works out to be more, be aware that at age 65, your disability money will change to regular social security payments. I do not know if your income will stay the same or drop at that point.

If you get a attorney be sure to check with the SS office and hire one approved by them, as these lawyers can not charge you more than what the SS office allows them to charge. If you pick one that is not approved they could charge you much more then the allowed set amount.

I just turned 62, and so I must wait until I am 65 to get SS benefits. I am hoping that my regular SS payments will be more than my disability. One can only hope. I am sure other members will add to what I have written.

By the way welcome to the forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back