Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2011
Country
US
State
VA
Hello all! First-time poster. I apologize for the pending text wall. I'll keep it as brief as possible.

I've had fibro/chronic fatigue, plus a small slew of other problems, since I hit puberty. It was always bad, but it got progressively worse until I was about 22 (I'm 25 now). By the time I graduated from high school, it was abundantly clear that I could never work a normal job or go to college. I tried to pursue another avenue of work, but I found out that I couldn't keep that up, either.

Absolutely zero of my problems were actually diagnosed until I was 22. It was the usual-- no doctors would believe me, or they brushed me off, or sent me on wild goose chases for diagnoses that didn't really make sense. I've found out that my problems are definitively autoimmune, but even that's hazy. I have autoimmune thyroiditis, but it's not the sole cause of my symptoms. My rheumatologist is calling what I have "mixed connective tissue disorder" until/unless I develop another symptom that lets her pinpoint what's going on.

I'm hoping to apply for social security disability, but I can't apply on my own merits. I've never once worked a job that paid into social security.

Is it possible for my mother to apply for me being a disabled child and therefore be able to draw from my parent's social security? The social security website states that you can file when the child is any age as long as the disability began before the age of 22. I wasn't diagnosed before then, but I have the medical records reflecting my pursuit and the school reports showing the enormous number of days that I missed (I would have been expelled if not for my GPA).

I'm already assuming that I'm going to be denied and have to appeal.

Does anyone have any experience with filing for disability for a child with fibro/trying to do this/filing for disability at all?

Thanks!

Last edited:
(Achh, computer just ate my previous reply.)
I don't have any knowledge or wisdom about social security stuff, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum and to applaud you for your hard work and perseverance in finishing high school with good grades even though you were suffering so much. You are obviously a strong woman, MissM, and I know you'll make it. Hang in there, and good luck with the social sec stuff.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Since you never paided into Social Security, then what you should apply for is SSI. Go to the nearest Social Security office to get the info you need, or check for it online at the government website. I always heard that SSI was handled by the states, even thou it is a federal program. So the local office would be able to get you started.
They usually get advice and reports from your doctors and consider all your health conditions. SSI is a bit different then SSD, sometimes more income, but also other requirements. :)

I, also, can't answer your question about Social Security because I'm Canadian. However, I felt like I was reading my life story. I was denied Alberta's version of disability because my doctor wrote something along the lines of "she has mild Arthritis" somewhere in the middle of the letter. The rest of the letter explained why I wasn't able to work but all they cared about was the "mild Arthritis". You see, the criteria for eligibility is having a debilitating disease. They neglected to see that every other aspect of my situation is debilitating and, Arthritis wasn't the reason why I applied. Arthritis hasn't been discussed since I progressed from Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis to Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, when I was in my early teens.

Have you had your anti-RNP antibodies checked? The anti-RNP only shows up in people with MCTD and is usually used as a criteria for diagnosis. I've had a positive anti-RNP on every single antibody test I have ever had, up until my last one. The doctor isn't sure what that means as, the reason why I have had so many anti-RNP tests is because not one doctor agreed with the other doctor's diagnosis. Each and every one, would tell me how surprised they were when the anti-RNP came back positive because I never have had the classic presentation.

Anyways, sorry I can't be of much help regarding the Social Security issue. However, welcome to the board and if you have any questions about MCTD don't hesitate to ask :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back