Not open for further replies.

AnxiousHuman

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
My anxious mind already wants to apologise for a thread for which the best answer is: Go see a doctor.
And although I know that's the way to go I'm a little bit anxious about doing so.
So I guess I'm hoping for some piece of mind or confirmation that I'm not just seeing things.

So about me: I'm 24 years old and started having certain symptoms about 8 years ago after extensive knee surgery and an emotionally difficult period in my life. Now that's where my first issue starts - from what I read online that seems quite young to develop fibromyalgia.
Anyway, during my teens I had research done into thyriod issues and the like because of these symptoms. But my blood test always came back perfectly fine.
Now about 2 years ago I moved countries and the symptoms started getting worse with the certain amount of stress from university and even worse with the lack of movement within the pandamic (I'm also not sure if that's normal at all).

But all the possibilities of things it could be always seemed a little of until I did some research into fibromyalgia, because interestingly enough it's something my dad is diagnosed with.

Right so I should probably tell you the symptoms I've been tracking for the last year now:

- Tired/ Fatigue
- Pain tolerance feels like it's lowering, but no extensive bruising
- Waking up tired/drained or sometimes anxious
- Difficulty sleeping, but could sleep all day (if that even makes sense)
- Muscle spasms (the leg / butt cheek one takes entire leg out during walking)
- Stiff hips & other joints (sometimes the hip one, the pain gets so bad I feel unable to move)
- Muscles feel short sometimes? I don't know if that perfectly describes the situation.
- Pain in Hips, Knees, Shoulders, Back, Ankles (from most often to least flare ups)
- Pain jabs stomache - left intestine often
- Feeling uncomfortable all over, that one just adds to the fatigue sometimes
- Body parts fall asleep easily and often
- Itchy (legs mainly)
- Extremely painful and Long periods - sometimes 4 months apart. (again no clue if it's connected but figured I'd give all the info)
- Uncomfortable in sun (skin, headaches)
- Sensitivity to temprature
- Headaches (often)
- Brain fog, Difficulty concentrating
- Heightened (social) anxiety, increased panic attacks
- Easy to sensory overload

Again, I know I should just get in contact with a doctor. But I'm all kinds of anxious and worry that it will just get blamed on my weight or that there will be issues with insurance while studying abroad.

So what I'm kind of asking for is if this sounds familiar or if I'm completly of.
And maybe you have some recommendations about how to approach a doctor about this mather.

Honestly, it's been a long time with these symptoms now.. And I'm just looking for why.

If you have gotten this far int o my incredibly long post, sincerely, thank you.

Is there any swelling? If there is it sounds like an autoimmune disease. Some of the diseases can have random symptoms that do not seem connected but are. I know this because I have Granulomatosis w/ polyangiitis where the symptoms are like this. Also, within this disease, there are other diseases that are parts of it. I would see an immunologist if possible if not a rheumatologist for extensive blood tests. I am not a doctor but I do a lot of research for new ailments and especially medication interactions and ALL side effects.

No, no inflammation of any kind.
From what I've researched so far most auto immune diseases include symptoms that I don't experience. But I'll defenitly read up on it.

Many of your symptoms could be related to fibromyalgia. On the other hand, they could be caused by something else, and as you know only getting tested medically will give you answers.....if you get answers even then.
The main thing is, do your best first off to find a doctor who will listen to you - if possible get a recommendation from someone you know. Or, research doctors in your area to find one who actually work with chronic pain patients, and/or patients with multiple symptoms. If the first doctor you see says it's all psychological or dismisses you or doesn't believe you, get a different one. Unfortunately, the only way to find out what is going on is to get a lot of tests in order to rule out all of the things it could be and come to a conclusion. It's a dull and exasperating process, and no fun at all, but necessary.
If you are having anxiety attacks, it is possible that some medication would help with that, but that may not help with all the other things beyond allowing you to relax somewhat. Stress exacerbates all of the other things.

We are here to support you and cheer you along in that process, so write here any time you want and we will try to help.

Hi there :)
your anxiety seems pivotal here, praps you cd target that first/at the same time, praps with CBT, that's what helped me most with that.
And if not generally going for counselling, then going thru everything that is keeping you off of going to the doc's. Like thinking about how you cd react if it did get blamed on your weight (which I doubt). Or checking with your insurance or getting someone else to check it for you what's OK and what isn't.
To answer your direct question: Yes, it does sound familiar, no you are not completely off, and yes, you shd get it checked as soon as your insurance allows and you've gathered up your courage. Sunkacola's suggestions are also mine.

Edit: You ask "Muscles feel short sometimes?"
I kept pondering & feeling them and my joints and found that seemingly muscular pains I have around my joints are the tendon insertions, then developed a twist-stretch of all limbs outwards to quickly get that and the stiffness and also diverse single muscular aches down. Dunno if that helps... With a lot of things like this most doctors will be out of their depth. It's either up to us to analyze and think up something, or to be lucky to find something by very lengthy trial and error that alleviates it...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back