Not open for further replies.

Izac Joz

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IN
State
Delhi
So far, I am not sure if FIBRO shows a certain pattern of genetic inheritance but I curious to know if anyone else (besides you) have/had this in your family?

This is a good question. While I don't have the answer, I am curious about this as well. Because my mother has recently been diagnosed, I do have concerns too. I'm wondering if it could be passed on through genetics and whether or not this increases my chance of having fibro in the future.

Science can't say for sure at this point although they suspect something is going on because Fibromyalgia does tend to affect multiple people in the same family. More research is being done so I'm sure eventually they will have evidence to support this theory.

I was actually wondering this myself, and had found some pretty interesting information on the mayo clinic site;
Fibromyalgia isn't passed directly from parents to children the way diseases such as cystic fibrosis and hemophilia are. But family studies have found that the odds of having fibromyalgia are several times higher in the immediate families of people with fibromyalgia than in families in which no one has fibromyalgia. These observations suggest that heredity is a factor in causing fibromyalgia.

It seems that basically if you KNEW someone in your family that had it, your risks are higher, but just because you didn't know them, or know they had it, doesn't mean it wasn't farther up in your family tree.

My mom has been the first diagnosed in our family. However, that is not to say that ancestors didn't have the condition. I think the diagnosis of FIBRO is still relatively "new" and so our ancestors may have had it without even realizing it. In fact, they may have even been misdiagnosed.

Thanks KNH55 for the link. I checked it out and found it informative. I am still wondering why Fibromyalgia is something that primarily affects women. I know that there are some men sufferers, but I am still curious as to what it is that makes women more prone to Fibro. Does anyone know the exact reason or is it actually still unknown?

Nobody in my family had it, but the people I would care for did, however there is genetics that do play a role.

Me and my daughter both have Fibro.

Hi nana, myself and my first aunt both have Fibro. It's terrible, but sometimes I'm thankful that I have someone so close that understands. She lives across state, but we try to see each other once a month and talk on the phone almost daily. How about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back