Sore neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcolly

Just wondering could anyone recommend a pillow. I'm in so much pain at nite just with my head resting on my pillow. My neck, head,shoulders. I have an orthopaedic pillow but it's just too hard at the moment

I recommend a good quality neck support like the ones people use on flights to help them sleep upright.
I've got one that buttons up at the front and wear it all day (indoors) when I get neck pain. I use it at night too as it provides support between shoulder and pillow.
At the moment I have pain that feels like it's in muscles that connect shoulder to the sides of my head, so you have my sympathy. If I don't rest this it will just keep getting worse, so treat it like an actual sprain or it may hang around.

Just a thought....I go to a chiropractor when my neck is bad. He recommended a pillow for me that I use. It makes a little bit of a difference but having him adjust my neck is far more useful. I try to alternate between him and a masseuse who does deep tissue on my neck and shoulders. I also do daily yoga stretches for my neck and back. All of it helps. If your neck is really sore, roll up a towel and place under your neck and sleep with no pillow. It's a challenge because you may want to turn in your sleep but the goal is to stay flat on your back with your neck resting on the towel. It must be supported. Do that for a few days (plus the yoga stretches and chiro visit) and any inflammation should recede in your neck. Let me know if this helps! Good luck.

i like overstuffed feather pillows - they are quite easy to manipulate into just the right spots to support my neck no matter how I am lying..
sadly, they are getting harder and harder to find anymore.. and I am in need of a new one, soon.

if you sleep on your back, then yeah, i like Cutiegirl's suggestion of the rolled up towel..
I cant sleep on my back.. but i can lie on my back with the towel behind my neck for a short while (10-15 minutes) as long as I can have my knees raised... takes the stress off my lower back that way.

Hi @Kcolly and welcome to our forum! 👋
pain at nite just with my head resting on my pillow. My neck, head, shoulders
Like @Cutiegirl I treat my neck with neck stretches and back yoga, also if it's bad: pressing my head against my hand in each direction (some say: except to the front).

Generally daily isometric back exercises first thing are a must for me.
Lying on my back: pressing shoulders elbows and wrists on a hard mattress or a mat - the wrists make all the difference, good PTs know that. And lying on my front: moving torso left and right: elbows to the side hands to the front and then hands under forehead. All of these with buttocks pressed together and arch stretched as straight as possible.
Also if my "hunchback" is part of the problem, and for that as long as my lower back can take it lying on my back with a hard cushion under the kyphosis - and definitely then no pillow at all in the middle, however I have one feather pillow for each side for lying twist-stretched on my front/side, face half down to keep my nostrils free from post nasal drip and stuffiness.
So altogether for my upper body I use the 2 pillows on the sides, the hard cushion, on a hard mattress with a soft topper.

If those pains then still come up at night I try first short neck stretches 1', then the hunchback cushion 5', then my massager 2'.
Next up I personally can reduce all pains with a 15 second cold shower, which also helps my whole body and mind reset, even though it's charged up for 10 minutes afterwards. If I weren't up to that I'd tried cold washing. Cold packs or TENS my body hates, but those'd be something I'd try if I could. And Yoga Nidra to get back to sleep quicker after the burst of cool.

Last of all, especially if I'd somehow forgotten the back exercises I'd then have no choice but to do them for at least half of the repetitions at night, for 5 mins, whatever it costs, because that pain & unrest is yucky. Again Yoga Nidra to come down quicker, or if I'm then fully awake anyway then again cold (shower).

Tonight my right thigh was hurting front and side, stopping me from lying to that side. I was surprised how quickly and thoroughly my massager took care of it, altho it didn't feel as if it'd be able to. It felt like bone, but obviously it was muscles.

Last edited:
If you own more than one pillow you can rotate them. Remember no pillow is also an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back