Not open for further replies.

KNH55

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CT
Hi, I have been doing a bit of research and have found that the Paleo diet may help people with fibro. I am curious if anyone has ever tried it and how it worked for you. Thanks!

What does the Paleo diet consist of? I honestly have never heard of it. But as I have said before I do prefer holisitic healing compared to pharmacutecal. I do try to eat pretty healthy so I am interested to see how this diet works. Hopefully there is no dairy in it. That is the one thing I cannot stomach. I am lactose intolerant, although I can eat cheese occasionally. Can you elaborate on the diet?

Basically you eat:
Grass-produced meats
Fish/seafood
Fresh fruits and veggies
Eggs
Nuts and seeds

You do NOT eat:
Cereal grains
Legumes (including peanuts)
Dairy
Refined sugar
Potatoes
Processed foods
Salt
Refined vegetable oils

Here is the sample day that is given on the paleo website:
Breakfast: Omega-3 or free ranging eggs scrambled in olive oil with chopped parsley. Grapefruit, or any fresh fruit in season, herbal tea
Snack: Sliced lean beef, fresh apricots or seasonal fruit
Lunch: Caesar salad with chicken (olive oil and lemon dressing), herbal tea
Snack: Apple slices, raw walnuts
Dinner: Tomato and avocado slices; grilled skinless turkey breast; steamed broccoli, carrots, and artichoke; bowl of fresh blueberries, raisins, and almonds; one glass white wine or mineral water.

It supposedly has many benefits and for you it is lactose intolerant friendly :) The one benefit that would be good for us is it is supposed to reduce inflammation and help with arthritis and fibro. People swear it helps with their pain so I have been curious if anyone has tried it.

I have never heard of the paleo diet before. if it works for you, then it is something that you will have to live with. For me, my health improved on a complete vegetable and fruit diet. I actually, lived on smoothies and found my health improving. My IBS basically went away. I believe the success of the diet, heavy in phytochemicals and antioxidants, as well as blending (which, made my IBS really almost go away), helped me tremendously.

Best of luck on your diet. Hi really hope that this works well for you. Rest, drink your fluids and find what works. I think that is the best adivce, find what works for you.

Chris Kresser has the best info on paleo. One caution people in pain often have adrenal issues which causes the body to store metal especially copper is a common problem in these people see Dr wilson's website on copper toxicity. Also calcium is needed if mega doceing with vitamin c for copper detox. .
Soy, seeds nuts and beans,wheat, and chocolate, lemons, greens are all high in copper.

Hey KNH55 ive dealt with fibromyalgia for years. Throughout my journey dealing with fibromyalgia, I have learned the value of diet in treating fibromyalgia. Below I have included a list of foods that have both helped and hurt me in my struggle against fibromyalgia.

What to Eat

Lots of fresh, local fruits and veggies, especially the veggies.

They are high in fiber, and are also rich in vitamins, minerals,
antioxidants, and phytochemicals.

Good lean proteins, like fish, chicken, and lean grass fed beef.
These foods that are high in protein, serve our bodies in that they help repair muscle tissue.

Probiotics; yogurts, and other fermented foods.
These replenish positive flora in the stomach remedying symptoms of leaky gut syndrome which is commonly associated with fibromyalgia.

Good healthy fats and omega oils

These have been proven to help tender joints, a study targeted towards
patients with rheumatoid arthritis saw a decrease in general joint pain
with three months of supplementing omega 3 fatty acids into their diets,
good source for omega 3′s are: Flaxseeds, walnuts,salmon, sardines, and soybeans

Nuts
I’m allergic, but for those who are not they are a great source of proteins and omegas

Sunshine
Try to get that daily dose of vitamin D! Most people suffering from fibromyalgia also have a vitamin D deficiency which simply amplifies your symptoms. If you need, vitamin D supplements suffice.

Bone Broths and Organ meats

This one is tough for some to swallow, but so important, they are high in calcium
and essential minerals.

Supplements

Because sometimes its so hard to attain everything you need 100% naturally; Magnesium is critical and so are the aforementioned vitamin D supplements, Iron is also great for women!

What not to eat

Wheat, Grains, Cereals, and Gluten
These are all inflammatory to the body.

Dairy

Most people are lactose intolerant to some extent, however this does not include hard cheeses or cultured dairy.

Caffeine, and Alcohol

Caffeine onsets fatigue by nature of making the body hyperactive for a short period of
time and alcohol provides the body with a high amount of low quality calories that are
exhausted quickly also inducing fatigue.

Refined Sugars

Refined sugars present the same problem as alcohol; excessive low quality calories
(energy) that induce fatigue
Trans fats, Dyes, Preservatives, Fortification, Sulfates, Artificial nitrites

These act as excitoxin molecules which heighten the bodies sensitivity to pain, and for obvious reasons should be avoided

Nightshades
STAY AWAY! These guys cause flareups!

Hope this info helped and id love to hear back from you guys on how this works out for you!

For me, my health improved on a complete vegetable and fruit diet. I actually, lived on smoothies and found my health improving.

What do you do about protein or protein substitute? And have you been on this long enough so that you could know already what the long term effects will end up being? What does your doctor say about it? (I know that's a lot of questions, but I love learning all I can about different ways of eating.)

Great news about the IBS! One of my friends has it and has terrible pain from it pretty often, but I'm not sure I can suggest a no protein diet. Actually it's many kinds of veggies that cause the problems for her so I guess this one would be out anyhow.

Mariposa,
I have had IBS and Fibromyalgia for years and struggle like your friend because all the "research" says an all veggie/fruit diet is best. I simply cannot tolerate any kind of veggies or most fruits! I have found that the best thing for me is eating as close to the dukan diet as I can. Dukan is a french doctor that came up with a lifestyle change eating plan that reminds you of the atkins diet if you are familiar with that, low carb.
I have found excellent recipes online that help you to not miss bread, cakes and all the other things made with refined sugar and flour!

And everyone here is so right...it's all trial and error until you find what works for you. You absolutely cannot give up or give in, you must keep trying!

Good luck!
Michelle

I have read a little about the Paleo diet, and pretty much it seems like it would be a healthy diet, and if it also helps with the pain, then that is even better.
Giving up dairy is hard for me, some of my favorite foods are cheese, and yogurt, but I guess if it is going to help me have a pain free existence, then it is certainly worth at least giving it a shot, and seeing if it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back