DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
None
Hi all,

In all the forums I have been on I have never come across this. I got a call from my attorney today telling me that he talked to the judge in my case and the judge told him he was willing to give me a fully favorable decision if I would agree to move my on set date from May of 2014 to July 1, 2015. The judge stated that he was not comfortable with my on set date because I quit work on a Friday and filed on a Monday. He stated that I should have waited at least one year after quitting to file to show that my condition had lasted more than a year and was expected to last another year or result in death. I asked my attorney what would happen if I would not accept that deal and he said most likely the judge would deny my claim. So of course I took the deal. It rather feels like I plead guilty to second degree murder instead of first degree murder in exchange for a lighter sentence. But I am happy with the results.

My attorney is sending me something to sign, then he will send it to the judge to sign, then it will finally be over. Yeah! This has been a long time coming.

Well done Tipbill. I'm so pleased for you and have been wondering as its March if you had heard as you have not been around lately. I guess its all the silly rules they have being stuck to so rigidly but at least the future is secure now and it's all over..Yey!

TipBill,
I'm very happy that you received a favorable decision! Only one who has gone thru the SS disability application process knows how long, grueling, and tedious it can be. Congratulations on surviving it. Thank you also for sharing your SS journey with us all. I'm sure it was helpful for other SSD applicants (present and future).

I hope the ssdi benefits provide you and your family a little bit more financial security. Take care!

All the best,
rt :)

Last edited:
HibTipBill,

That's great! It takes a load off the shoulders lol
When you have help with your income.

You can concentrate on your health now!

Good luck
Sagey

Hi TipBill,

That's great! It takes a load off your shoulders lol
When you have help with your income.

You can concentrate on your health now!

Good luck
Sagey

Congratulations, TipBill! You did it! You got through the SS disability application process! I hope that the ssdi gives you and your family a bit of financial relief.

One bit of advice - since you mentioned earlier that you are married (and assuming that you are filing jointly, and your base income was at least $32,000), you will have to pay taxes on your lump sum back pay. So do keep some of it aside and don't use all of it pay off your accumulated bills.

For more details, you might want to check with your tax preparer, and also view this IRS webpages:
https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/...l-security-income/back-payments/back-payments

Take care!

Holey Moley! I went to my tax guy this week and had him prepare my taxes. Don't assume all tax preparers know about filing options for the SS disability lumpsum back pay mentioned by BlueParadise above. My guy didn't know.

Luckily I had a copy of the IRS webpage linked above and showed it to him. In the end I still had to pay almost 1/4 of my back pay in taxes! Yikes!....
:(

I asked our tax preparer what would happen specifically next year with our taxes if I should happen to get a favorable decision. He told me that any taxes I owed on the SSDI could be spread over 3 years. I hope he is right. I have already had to change my onset date by a year which will lower my back pay drastically and I have to give 1/4 to my attorney so if I have to give 1/4-1/2 to taxes I will be left with practically nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back