Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2002
Country
US
State
NJ
I have had fibro for at least 20 years at this point and have been able to manage okay basically. Then 2.5 yrs ago I had a total knee replacement and that quad started to ache and knee dr said it's week, go for physical therapy. Started late last week and by the following day(s) the pain has extended from my knee up to that hip and everywhere in between. I know I did too many repetitions of stretching exercises at PT although I've known the therapist for a long time and she knows I have fibro. But I know for sure I overdid it with too many repetitions. Had a PT appt today for later but cancelled due to my pain. Seeing a new rheumatologist the end of the month.

Why can't physical therapists take fibro more seriously and realize we have to start slow with our therapy or else we wind up in worse pain?

Why can't physical therapists take fibro more seriously and realize we have to start slow with our therapy or else we wind up in worse pain?
I think they'd have to have it themselves, "properly". And even then....
As often as we overdo it ourselves, altho we already feel the pain or suspect it, others can't sense it.
I'm lucky in that my wife has the strong empathy to be the only person who sees my pain before I do, the only person I've heard
of who does so. Sometimes too much.
But our challenge is to learn the thresholds, the limits, the sweet spots and how far we can go over them ourselves...
But learning is by doing and you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. My physios learnt by my feedback. Even good ones can't be better than we are: We are the experts and need to teach them...

Thank you for your reply. I had the worst fibro pain for 3 days after my PT session that I mentioned. We have to advocate for ourselves and if the therapist doesn't take our situation seriously, they are not worth seeing.

I just had the same surgery and I have legs spasms which can turn my whole leg and foot. I talked with my chronic pain doctor. Been seeing him for over a year. With being treated I have so much more freedom from episodes. Never know what type of these episodes or how long they will be. But back to you. My doctors told me to eat bananas everyday and take magnesium everyday. This has worked wonders for me! I’m on a medical treatment plan with medication and shots. I’ve gone from a 10 out 10, being the highest point. Down to a 7/8 - 7/6. Pain level. I’m not cured, but I’m no longer not living a life at the moment to fibromyalgia. I don’t know your regiment of life with Fibromyalgia, but try the banana a day and the magnesium. It works for me. Good luck!
Katherine Rea

Thank you Katherine. I was on another fibro site and Magnesium Malate was suggested to take as a supplement for those who have fibro. First I'm having bloodwork done to see if I have deficiencies and then I can start to take it once a day to start. I do take it back about physical therapists not understanding fibro because my therapist has taken a step back with me and I am doing fewer repetitions and eliminating some stretches altogether for now.

Magnesium Malate was suggested to take as a supplement for those who have fibro.
It's the form that has a little evidence specifically for fibro, but as always we still have to see personally if it helps or not.
I've taken it off and on almost 2 years, as well as the (bis)glycinate form, and never felt that much difference.
At the moment I've stopped it, as I'm taking so many supps.
Added to that I'm suddenly sleeping too much, not waking up properly, so I've even stopped passiflora. Less GABA didn't work. 🧐

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back