Other
Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
NY
Hi all.
Haven't been here in awhile, I was in a flare at first but doing better.I started a great yoga class that started atc10:00 am.I never thought I could but I psyched myself to make sure Id go.I set my alarm clock for 8;15 am and jumped in the shower.I was determined to do this.

I got a nice mat and went to a great class.it was a good pace and I was able to finish the whole 1 hr class.I was in pretty good shape when I came out.I felt very relaxed and less stressed.Im going to continue this to help my Fibromyalgia.It has a lot of benefits and gets us out of the house. I know u guys can do it also if u tried.

If u told me last week I would be doing this I wouldn't believe it lol.

I'm going to keep going

Sagey

That is great news! I completely agree with you - when you are in a flare or just a bad day, you cannot even imagine doing anything physical, let alone a yoga class, an actual yoga class outside of the house. I am in such a flare and I read your post in awe - but had to remind myself that I can do this too. Maybe not today, but I can set a goal for tomorrow, find a 15 minute yoga video and start from there.

Things don't always have to come in giant leaps, small steps in life are just as important, in fact, most important !!!!

Hi Vickithecat,

Thanks, I know we all think we can't do it, but we can.I was very tired the night before.I could barely walk from my plantar fasciitiis.I iced my feet for twenty minutes and set my alarm.I paid for the class online ahead of time , so there was no backing out lol. I sometimes psych myself out because I feel so sick ,but I went to bed early ,took my sleeping pill and got up slowly but did it.

We really have to push ourselves more then a person without a chronic illness.I've done it a thousand times and then I change my mind , and don't do it.
Vicki try to do a class outside the house.It makes so much of a difference.You feel " normal" again.Just getting in the car and turning the music on motivated me.The socialization for us really helps.We need this as human beings to be around others.It was so relaxing and I felt myself just going into my head and relaxing my muscles.I made sure I bought a super thick yoga mat.And it only cost $14 in the store.

I thought I would wake up and not be able to walk, but I did good and felt only a little muscle aches.I did take Advil. Before I started the class, u can take whatever works for u.Last night I had some upper back pain and I used my tens machine , which I haven't used in awhile and it worked great! Within an hour my pain was decreased.

If any of u don't know what tens machine is,its a battery operated device that comes with sticky patches that u can place on your body parts back , upper shoulders, lower back,that helps decrease pain. It's really small electrical impulses that are generated and u can decrease or increase the amount of power by adjusting the box controls up or down.I place the sticky electrodes on my back and upper shoulders by my neck for about 20 minutes at a time.Just so you know most insurances will cover it.If you have back pain or other ailments.Just ask your doctor about it.
It's something we can use instead of meds or in conjunction with meds.

Hope everyone is having a good day

Sagey

Hi Vickthecat,

I'm sorry your in a flare.I hope it ends soon and you can try it.

Feel better

Sagey

I had borrowed the Tens machine of a friend of mine and had it many times during physical therapy, but somehow it never did anything for my pain. I tried all kinds of sessions, length of time, strengths etc. The physical therapists simply told me that it works with 80% of the people, I sadly fall in that 20%. I was definitely ready to make the investment in the best tens machine as well, had been saving money for it etc.

A class outside of my house - I really wish. The area where I live is a high end area (we are not rich whatsoever, we are renters leading a normal frugal life). In fact there are yoga classes right next door to where I live, but I see those women coming and going....wearing the best/expensive brand of yoga clothing, fanciest of mats/gear, talking about their travels to spas/to retreats in India, with their perfect bodies, doing yoga the perfect way, then driving away in their Porsche/BMW cars...I would simply feel very out of place, very stressed out. I also still suffer from frozen shoulder so most of the moves I have to adjust or simply skip. You have to see my downward facing dog - it is more like a downward on my face!

But yes, we have to keep pushing ourselves and believe that we can do more. I recently started doing 'step' on my good days - I used to be a trainer in it in the 90s and I felt nostalgic, thought I better make use of the old step we had in the house (used by my handicapped father), I put on some youtube videos from the 90's and had a pretty good time. In just 12 minutes I had a full body exercise, sweating like crazy. The next day the muscle pain was bad, but it was so worth it!

Moving feels so good!

First of all I'm so happy that you're back and feeling much better Sagey! I missed your kind and sweet posts cause it usually melt my heart everytime I read it. I'm so jealous of anyone who could do yoga right about now cause I love any kind of stretching exercise especially doing it outdoor . Ahh I also miss running in the park in early morning too. But for now I get loads of cramps just simply trying to bending down and I constantly lost my footing and crash way too often my bf said he would get me a helmet if I do that again , so I'm with you on that Vickythecat ( suddenly I have an odd desire to watch Richard simmon video). However, I'm still trying to get more air and walk outside as long as the weather is helping. When I can do it nothing is better. A few month ago I manage to free my self from agoraphobia, I'm going to try my best to stay that way too. So happy you are doing fantastic Sagey!!! ;) I'm sure you can keep on going .

Hi Vicki,

Good Im glad you tried something and it worked out for you.
We have to keep moving.Im feeling more energetic lately because I've been doing a lot of activities.So keep it up,and you'll see results!
Glad your flare had passed, they suck lol.

Sagey

Hi Tipnatee,

Glad to see u back.Im so glad I started and aim going to try once a week for now and then once I get more loose,I'll increase my days.But like u said it's hard for u to do.So if walking is good for u, then go on a hike in the woods on a trail that would be fun.Ive wanted to do that also.I love being around nature and the animals it's just good to be free and outside.im glad your able to get over you agoraphobia.

Sagey

Hi Tipnatee,

Glad to see u back.Im so glad I started and aim going to try once a week for now and then once I get more loose,I'll increase my days.But like u said it's hard for u to do.So if walking is good for u, then go on a hike in the woods on a trail that would be fun.Ive wanted to do that also.I love being around nature and the animals it's just good to be free and outside.im glad your able to get over you agoraphobia.

Sagey

Hi Tipnatee,

Sagey

I love outdoor and camping , that's my goal. Thanks to the new found fad of glamping I might stood a chance once more lol. I can only imagine what fibro-glamping would looks like. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back