Stiffness and pain in finger joints upon waking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s hard for you. Sorry you’re having to deal with that. I managed to get an appointment with a rheumatologist today actually. Quite surprised I managed to find one during lockdown but let’s hope she can help at least figure out what’s going on.

My big toe is worst. Some days I would get the axe and chop it off.
Oh my gosh, I have the same wish at times (although of course no one really wants to do without a big toe). One of mine goes into this weird thing when I get up from sitting or lying down. It feels fine until I start to walk, then is terribly painful at the point where my toes bend as I step. Usually it is gone in ten minutes or so but makes walking very hard at first. Doesn't happen all the time, but is excruciating when it does!
Also, I have stiff hands in the morning, worst when it is cold outside. I think these things are probably osteoarthritis.

So, update. I saw a rheumatologist today and she is going to send me for x-rays but she thinks it could be early stages of osteoarthritis in my fingers. She said that typically finger pain in people with fibromyalgia is connected with carpal tunnel which I don’t have. Other than that though, she said it just could be fibro if it isn’t osteo arthritis. I guess I’ll know more once I’ve had the x-rays and take it from there.

Not quite sure what it is your do .can u explain it again.don’t wanna hurt myself.
My physio called it "Charlie Chaplin-position" when she saw it, cos he also turns his feet outwards. But he bent his knees, I don't. Best start are the ballet feet positions. I started off using the first position. That still works best when lying in bed, face down (for thigh pain), but 2nd works then too. When standing I now usually use the fifth position, if I don't feel safe standing, the fourth (legs apart). The main point is I turn the legs outwards until I feel exactly the tendons being stretched which are causing the stiffness etc., and only as far as nothing cramps, and only for 10-20 seconds. That's hips, knees, ankles and feet all at once. Plus arms (shoulders, elbows, wrists and a bit hands): I started with arms down, turning them incl. palms outwards and inwards as far as comfy. Now I've found that putting them up and the same stretches my back too. And makes me look more elegant like a ballet dancer (did that as a kid o_O). I've seen that arm position called "open fifth" on one image for kid's ballet, but can't find the name elsewhere, altho it is used a lot in ballet(s).) Additionally I stretch back and neck backwards. I started with switching between outwards and inwards, but outwards is more effective. As I've had difficulty sitting (back) and standing (thighs) while working, I've started using it while standing, every few minutes for 10 seconds. Sometimes I stand in the fifth position I've found it extremely effective. Of course: only go as far as it feels good.
(Sorry for the late answer, due to struggling with working... )

My hands are very bad today .it’s bad enough with fibromyalgia but I have carpal tunnel to.I went to Asda’s .that’s a big supermarket if your not from the uk.I was looking at mugs ,I found a bee I love bees .and it has a double handle which is great .helps hold.But I dropped five mugs thank god I never broke them.and my mask hide my embarrassment.But I hate my hands

Did you get Covid? I had it in sept 2021 and afterwards had very achy finger joints. Now the pain comes and goes.

Not sure if the question is for me or Forgetmenot but, to my knowledge, I haven’t had COVID, or at least not symptomatic.

Update on the medical situation; just had pelvic MRI to rule out ankylosing spondylitis in addition to fibromyalgia as this can cause finger pain and stiffness. X-rays were clear for regular arthritic condition in hands and feet. Constant pain now in one finger, not just upon waking. Rheumatologist will know results in two weeks. Fingers crossed (pun intended) it’s negative. Not sure I can cope with another new chronic pain condition on top of fibromyalgia and CMP.

Sounds like possibly psoriatic arthritis. My hands would be swollen and painful upon waking for several hours then slowly get better until the next day, then it would repeat. I went to a rheumatologist and was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis when I was 26 years old and have been on a biologic for over 10 years. The swelling is one, pain occasionally when I'm due for injections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back