Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2016
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi all. My latest Fibro symptom is a weird stomach issue. I have Ibs, which is usually under control, but lately we’ve been in a weather pattern that sits around freezing - pouring rain some days, snow others- and it’s absolutely killing me. Lately, whenever the temp drops, no matter what I’ve eaten, my stomach goes crazy. It literally feels like my stomach is inflamed along with everything else. I will be feeling fine. I’ll suddenly feel sick, and then it starts with the whole thing - cramping, diarrhea, nausea, no appetite, etc. When it warms up again, my stomach goes back to normal. Anyone else experience this?. I feel like I’m losing my mind. 🙄

Is this not your IBS? I don't know much about that, but it sounds as if those are IBS symptoms. Have you found anything that helps?

Don't know if this is useful or not, but often when I have lower back pain it brings on nausea, which of course has a bad impact on appetite.

Is there any chance at all that you could go somewhere for even a couple of weeks in the winter where the weather is better? I live where winter is wonderful but I like to go somewhere cooler in the summer, because here summer can be pretty hot (like above 110F for days at a time) . I can't go for the whole summer but even a week or two makes a remarkable difference for me. If you can do it even for a short time it might help.

And PS.....you are not losing your mind, although fibro can make you feel that way!

You’re probably right - whether it’s my ibs getting worse or whether all the inflammation is causing more gut cramping. I guess it’s alll muscle and tissue. I would love to get away for a bit. Right now with covid, it’s not possible. Maybe next year. Oddly, I want to go further north where it’s cold, but at least more consistent.

Sounds like some kind of heat pack on your belly would help? Or adapting your clothing? My gut has IBSD, my stomach has hyperacidity, which caters for a whole range of symptoms and food to eliminate, but different ones. Haven't seen any connection with the cold tho. Generally the cold used to flare my fibro (until TCM/acupressure reset my temperature control). Praps the connection is more indirect, the cold is affecting something in your body or something you are doing different, like eating different, which in turn is affecting your stomach?

That could be. I think it’s more the barometric pressure than anything. I seem to react to every change, up or down, in different ways. Up causes migraines and fatigue and down causes pain and stomach issues. Or maybe the stomach is the precursor to the migraine..... There are always so many maybes with my fibro.

That could be. I think it’s more the barometric pressure than anything. I seem to react to every change, up or down, in different ways. Up causes migraines and fatigue and down causes pain and stomach issues. Or maybe the stomach is the precursor to the migraine..... There are always so many maybes with my fibro.
'so many maybes': Hmm, I'm always for keeping cause & effect open, rather than rigid, but also keep looking to find connections, because I've had so much successes with that. So I make hypotheses and pinpoint them in my pain diary until I find a pattern that's fairly consistent.
In this case writing down the barometric pressure whenever these 4 symptoms crop up. Barometric pressure would be something different to the temp. dropping. And migraine after stomach is something different to migraine after pressure up. Of course one symptom could be caused by two things, e.g. migraine either by stomach or by pressure up, too.

My acupressurist keeps wanting to relate my symptoms to the weather or moon, sometimes much too esoteric for me - she may see a pattern there for herself (she has fibro too). But I see it much more in the things I (over)do (at the moment: working, dentist) or forget to do (at the moment: go to bed too later, altho I'm long dead). It's just that it demands quite a bit of nitpicking self-discipline to write possible triggers down and listening to my body. I get it that many say flares don't have much of a pattern. But I try to find that part which does. And my experience is that that is more than 80% in my case, altho I'd do it if it were just 20%... YMMV.

It's tricky in my case. I have chronic migraine, which blurs the line between what is a fibro effect and what is my friend migraine and what is a mix of the two. Where I live, the barometric changes are almost constant. The odd week where we have some stability I feel significantly better. I've been tracking the weather/pressure for awhile now and the effects are pretty consistent, but I'm also re-doing fodmap and tracking my food intake to get a better handle on that aspect. I'll just keep moving forward.

I'll just keep moving forward.
Sounds good. Also good to remember that even going into and out of dead ends is moving forward, and progress.

Foodwise I had an eosophagus-block again today (which my docs can't explain yet) and used my 2020 pain diary to try to see a pattern. I could only see that they're been less than when I was in lots of additional pain thru doc-therapies and -exams up to May. Also that heat doesn't help, cold food isn't the problem, nor is not chewing, main food types were tomatoes (which I've got pretty down now, cos of colon pain from them), tofu and carrots. Since I had severe reflux at night due to some baobao powder (with high vitamin C, tasted sour) I tested in some natural yoghurt in the evening. That would suggest the stomach hyperacidity burnt my esophagus. But my heartburn dates don't correspond and I can't find any other reflux dates. Hmm... have to watch for that connection now.
Come to think of it, I'd eaten at least 5 small tomatoes in the last few days too, and my a is burning - maybe that 'helped' the other 2 symptoms as well. My wife had bought me a salad-mix and I'd forgotten to give her them...

Just saw you'd asked about bloating and nausea and soothing foods quite a few months back - are you any further there yet? I do think everyone's elimination diet will be pretty different....

Last edited:
I can’t remember what I wrote back then, but I think what I thought was bloating was actually muscle inflammation across my diaphragm. I had tightness in my back and it felt like a band all the way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back