Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2020
Country
CA
State
BC
I am newly diagnosed and feeling confused and overwhelmed by information. I have a few questions that I hope someone can help with.
1. Is it true that fibro is often "brought on" because of prolonged stress?
2. If so, when the stresses are dealt with, does the pain/, symptoms go away?
3. I was diagnosed after many different tests, physio, massage. Finally a neuro-muscular doctor sent me to a pain management doctor. He is the one who said he thinks I have fibro. I've had mostly neck/shoulder/head pain for years, also depression and anxiety, bathroom issues, moody .I've gained about 25 lbs in the last couple years and am exhausted all the time. However, I am also the person that just pushes through and continues. This makes it hard for me to accept that I am as bad as most people who have fibro and are in lots of pain. Is this just me in denial or of pride because I don't want to accept it?
When I try to think about whem my good days were and when I was normal, I can't even remember. At least 12 years....

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Island Girl, and welcome to the forum. Sorry you have to be here, but we are here to help and to support each other as best we can, so it's a good place to come.

Although "they" don't know for sure what causes FM, one of the factors that is associated with it is prolonged stress. Fibromyalgia patients also are often "type A" personalities, and/or people who have worked hard, and had a tendency to push through discomfort and pain. So you are joining many thousands of us in this, myself included.

If stress is handled adequately and carefully, it can definitely be reduced, which can alleviate some of the pain and other symptoms of FM, but I don't know if the syndrome will go completely away. It's pretty hard to live a stress-free life. Especially these days. On the other hand, I believe strongly in having a positive attitude toward your issues with FM, and while I caution against expecting or hoping for miracles, I do know that life can be lived and enjoyed even with fibromyalgia, and there are many things a person can do to assist with that. And perhaps it can go away completely, even. I have not heard of that, but that doesn't mean it's never happened.

Acceptance of what is happening for you is very important. Now, that doesn't mean accept it and then just lie down and do nothing! It only means accept where you are each day and then do what you can to help yourself, rather than spending your energy being angry or frustrated about it, or pushing through the pain and making it worse.

I have worked with my body a lot, and have a very different life now from what it was a few years ago when I could hardly get out of bed some mornings. I wrote all my advice in a post you will find at the top of the General forum. I suggest reading that, and starting to apply as many of those things as you possibly can. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have once you have read it. We are here to help.

I have read your post and it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all the detail you have given. I guess being that Type A person, I am relating the impact of stress, and how it is affecting my body, as a weakness. I would NEVER think that about anyone else so I know it is ridiculous to say about myself.
Someone recently said to me that Fibromyalgia is just what they tell you when they can't explain your symptoms 🥺 Of course, this annoyed me and I stewed on it for days probably adding to the reason for my headache pain!

I have read your post and it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all the detail you have given. I guess being that Type A person, I am relating the impact of stress, and how it is affecting my body, as a weakness. I would NEVER think that about anyone else so I know it is ridiculous to say about myself.
Someone recently said to me that Fibromyalgia is just what they tell you when they can't explain your symptoms 🥺 Of course, this annoyed me and I stewed on it for days probably adding to the reason for my headache pain!
I fully understand! I could have said all the things you said above! I always thought I couldn't show any weakness, also. And at first, I stewed on this fibro thing and only caused myself more problems. Now, I don't blame the doctors. If they don't know yet, they don't know. I think some day they will figure out more about FM, but it is clearly not a priority for them. It is true that they give that diagnosis when they just can't find out what is wrong. There is a good side to getting a diagnosis even so, and that is you can put it on insurance forms and get medication and so on. That's really the only advantage. But, heck, we take what we can get, right? :)

re. 3: Similar here - my wife had to get me going, even made some of the first appointments (OK for me). But when I realized the full flare isn't going to let off, I gave in and decided to put my "Type A"-energy into finding out and alleviating all I can, feeling it is my duty and my strength to do so. And when I got the diagnosis from the 2nd rheum. I was a bit sad for a week, but had been surprised it wasn't diagnosed earlier. I accepted it on the one hand, but still went to every other doc-type (25) but one & a centre for rare diseases & a rheum. clinic. Perhaps that's a possibility to similarly divert your energy?
re. 1: Yes. & 2: No. I had got my stress down quite a few years before I got my single flares and then my full flare. I was happier and more content than ever before in my life. My symptoms have little to do with current stress. But because I am concentrating on getting everything down, stress is one of the things. Starting work again 2 weeks ago the main stress was remembering to go off 10 mins earlier than I used to, but I'm there now.
re. 1 again: I wouldn't contend someone saying that my fibro might be the result of 4-5 decades of personal & job stress, incl. anxiety (esp. social phobia) plus pain (back, skin, gut/tummy, nerves). But if someone tells me I need therapy *because I'm a type A*, I answer: Sorry no, if I weren't type A, I'd be long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back