Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
Ar
I have found stretching to helpful with the pain, it helps relaxes the overworked nerves that sends off signals to the muscles. This is something I have to do every single day. To feel relief.

I think I will start doing this as well. It won't be too bad on the body. Any particular ones you suggest?

Anything that will increase the blood flow will help the pain. I like to take warm to hold showers to get the blood flowing. What the hell, why not stretch during a hot shower.

A lot of people find that exercising in general can help with their pain, but of course many can't cope with the exercise that other people may be able to. Stretching is great, as you don't really have to go anywhere special to do it, and you can simply try it during the course of the day, no matter where you happen to be at the time. Even if you're in pain and can't get out of bed, you can do some stretches to try and help your muscles to strengthen. I think Josh's suggestion about having a shower certainly has a lot of merit, because hot water always makes me feel better, and it would help your muscles to relax as well so there would be a much smaller chance of you suffering any pain after your stretches.

I love to read the simple things that do help, if we think of it the better things in life are the most simple ones. ;)

The process of stretching might seem simple, but in fact it's a great way to activate the muscles, that is why is makes such a difference in the way we feel.

AMEN to the hot showers. many mornings I feel I can't get going until I have a hot shower. Even if you don't feel you need to clean, just letting the hot shower loosen your muscles. At bed time, I pull out the heating pad I keep beside my pillow and it helps at night while watching that last show to let me relax. If I am in a lot of pain and flared up , I pull out the cloth ice pack. ( I keep two in the freezer all the time) that helps but no longer than 15 minutes. I have actually worn out one heating pad. also adding a wet wash cloth on top of the heating pad helps too. I fear stretching as I have my ribs that feel like they want to pock out, since my beginning of this started with vitamin D deficiency, which most Doctors don't check that level, yet they tell us to stay out of the sun. As I noted on another blog, when you have vitamin D deficiency, your upper torso and back muscles are very week and hurt. If I stretched my spine and ribs would move out of place. My level is back up, but now I have fibro and still have back and ribs issues. so on the positive side, try the showers, heating pad and ice pack if helps. I can't take all the meds, most of you can tolerate. So I have to revert to these alternatives. No lyrica, no gabain, just amptrilyne and diazepam and aleve. Hang in there everyone.

Sounds like you have a difficult time angelstart5, My doc finally checked my vitamin D levels but a month after she told me to start taking 2000 IU per day and it was just at the bottom of "normal" level. She bumped me up to 3000 IU daily. You hang in there as well. Gentle hugs

Vitamin D levels make a big difference? I had no idea, what sort of supplements do you take to increase the level?

Vitamin D levels make a big difference? I had no idea, what sort of supplements do you take to increase the level?

for increasing the Vitamin D level, I was told you should be at 30, I was at 15. My spine Medical Doctor started me at 50,000 IUs a day, yes 50,000IU (which is a prescription only) and when I asked the pharmacists if that was right, she said yes they are giving those large amounts out a lot lately. That told me there is an epidemic, plus I have read recently Vitamin D deficiency is an epidemic these days. Anyway I took 50,000IU for about 8 weeks then we went to 8000 then to 6000 and my level got up to 42, a little high so now I take 3000IU each day. I can at least now reach for things and not worry about the muscles being weak. Now I just have problems with my Fibro flare ups that push my right ribs out and I get real tight and painful like knots around my shoulder blades. Lastly I have notice that if I run a couple of errands like to Walmart to get meds, the walking far on the concrete floor, the next day I feel like I fell down 30 stairs and hurt all over, in terrible pain. Please make sure your Doctor checks your Vitamin D levels and ask ahead of time. 2 months ago, I went to my regular Primary P. and she didn't check my Vitamin D level. What is the problem here with the Doc's?

I never had to take vitamin D supplements, but I always heard that catching sun always help in this particular, I suppose the sun is not enough to generate the necessary amount right?

I never had to take vitamin D supplements, but I always heard that catching sun always help in this particular, I suppose the sun is not enough to generate the necessary amount right?

The sun is the best, but I have been reading that we should be out in the sun for 2-3 times a day for 15 minutes each time. I couldn't believe I was vitamin D deficiency as for the past 15 years I had horses and was always out side especially on weekends cleaning stalls. It was last year the aches started and I had to give up my horses to rescue. They have good homes now. I don't get it. All I can say is have your vitamin d blood work checked, hope you have insurance, and then see what your doctor says if you need Vitamin D supplements. Good Luck,

I was referred by my Dr. to a physical therapist for my fibro symptoms. She gave me some good stretches that improve mobility and get blood flowing to the muscles. I try to do them right before bed, as they do seem to help me sleep better, then I do a few when I wake up, cause that's when I'm always the most sore. I would recommend seeing a physical therapist and getting some specific stretches that help with your specific set of muscle/mobility problems. I also like the warm shower suggestion. I feel like I'm in Heaven every time I take a shower! Thought I was the only one haha. Also walks throughout the day help some.

I love stretching. It's the next best thing to sex for me. lol. I love it. It does make me feel better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back