Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
Connecticut
I am a 26 years old and was diagnosed December 2013 with fibromyalgia after many years of neck and upper back pain. My pain started with very tight muscles and frequent spasms. I'd get headaches and just a lot of pain in my neck. Now that has diminished somewhat, although I still get shooting pain in my neck and head. The newest and definitely my least favorite symptom is heightened pain sensitivity everywhere. There are days where if I even brush my arms or legs it hurts. I feel like I need to be wrapped in bubble wrap! It's made it so that any sort of touch is uncomfortable at best. And now even when I want a hug or to go cuddle in bed, I get worried that it will just hurt and be uncomfortable. I just feel like a giant raw nerve that any pressure hurts.

I tried cymbalta for a week and became deeply depressed to a scary point so I stopped the medication right away and within a few days returned back to normal. I am hyper sensitive to medications and now I'm scared of trying new ones because that week on cymbalta was so devastating. I have had better luck with natural remedies, but SAM-e which has been helpful in the past is now too much for my stomach.

Between the fibro, digestive problems, anxiety and PTSD my nervous system is on super overdrive. The pain is really starting to interfere with everything in my life. When I go to exercise I can still do the movements, but the next day, where I would have had sore muscles I feel like the entire muscle is bruised and just brushing it is very painful.

I'm definitely feeling more and more hopeless. I hate that this disease is stealing away so much of my life and injuring my personal relationships. Has anyone felt that hyper-pain sensitivity? What has worked for you? Does exercise really help (I miss being active so much!) or just hurt?

Also has anyone noticed a correlation between low weight and increased pain? I'm trying to maintain a good weight, but am having a huge amount of trouble. I'm now officially underweight and have very low body fat (really not good for women!) I keep wondering if everything hurts more because there's nothing protecting it? I am just so desperate for answers!

Alanna,
Welcome to the forum. I understand your concern about your weight and being worried about exercising. Another member goes swimming in a heated pool and does her exercises that way to reduce the strain on her muscles. Plus the warm water is very easy to move around in. Do you have a YMCA, in your area or another area that might provide water exercises. I usually go for a nice easy walk a couple of times a week. No speed walking just a easy stroll where I can enjoy nature and ease the stress in my life. Others do yoga and use exercise machines.
So I find that exercise helps as long as I am not pushing myself in hopes of improving muscle tone which does not work well with fibro.

Other ideas include trying to relieve stress. Like reading or painting, crafts and hobbies, watching funny movies and relaxing as much as possible. Sometimes our bodies need a time out to get back strength and get over deep fatigue. Take rest breaks as well.

Take time to read posts and to answers other posts and hopefully you will find some good ideas to help control your pain and improve your life.
Looking forward to reading your posts. :)

Hi Alanna... I hope you'll be able to learn a lot from the forum and take advantage of the excellent support system that members here offer.

I certainly understand your reluctance to try new meds after what happened with the Cymbalta... scary indeed! :sad: I'm thinking they surely wouldn't all cause the same devastation, but I'd be hesitant to try something new, too.

Just remember that as hopeless as it feels sometimes, there *are* things that will make a difference, even if a slight one... you just need to find what it is in your own case. Maybe the exercise will be that thing for you... or maybe a heated pad for the bed, etc. There are a lot of things to try, and I hope you'll find something to help real soon!

Have you talked with your Dr's about the sensitivity to touch? From what you said, it sounds like things (ie: a gentle touch, a hug, certain fabrics, a light breeze almost) are causing you pain and discomfort?.... If you haven't, you need to talk to your Dr's about this. It might mean you have ever something called 'Allodynia' or 'hyperalgesia'. If you haven't heard of these, please research them and speak with your Dr!
I have Allodynia, if you have questions, ask away!

Hi Alanna,
I am sorry for what you are going through. I have fibro too as well as allodynia. The allodynia was the final symptom that sent me looking for answers. Even when I go to sleep, I cannot have my legs or feet touching each other as they will "hurt" if they do. Like you, I am very thin and underweight. But I have not noticed any connection with my weight and increased pain levels. I have noticed, as with all of my other symptoms, that they seem to increase over a few days and decrease over a few days. I have a "baseline" pain/sensitivity that stays. I can tell when I wake up in the morning when my feet and hands hurt. It's weird like the joints hurt, which spreads to other joints and muscles. I was always "running amuck" but now I am learning to embrace a slower pace. I wish you the best in finding all that works for you. :)

Alanna, listen to what 1sweed said, she always has something useful to say :) I can't offer a lot advice for your case in particular, because I know everyone experiences fibro in a different way, so I can't really tell whether exercise will make things worse for you or not. But the idea 1sweed gave you of swimming in a heated pool sound sounds like an excellent choice! If you can go for it then do it, G-d knows that if I could be active again I just would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back