Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Ca
I have heard of a few surgeries to help with fibromyalgia and it's side effects. Has anyone had surgery for this and if so, did it work. I have tried so many things for years and even became suicidal at one point. I am o.k mentally at this moment but this is so depressing.thank you for reading and time

What kind of surgery. I've never heard of surgery for FMS. I don't understand how there could be a surgery to fix this kind of thing?
I've had FMS for 15 yrs. Never heard of such a thing.
Are u sure?

I've not heard of surgery for fibromyalgia. A person with fibro can have surgery for other conditions which might be increasing pain, but I can't imagine a surgery that will cure or help fibro. I'd be interested in what you have heard.

Ditto. I am intrigued, but not sure what would be operated on?

they can burn the nerves back together. ive not had it yet. but it does sound promising. i did hear that there is a med that will coat the nerve. like electrical tape over a frayed lamp cord. like i say folks do your research!

Well, if pain were my only issue, I'd have to have that done from head to toe, and what about fatigue, unregulated body temp, restless leg, IBS, etc, etc. These are all part of fibro. I don't think it's possible with any kind of surgery. Maybe a surgery to address one particular type of pain?

I have to agree with the 'no surgery' for fibro. I stay pretty up to date with fibro info and belong to a study group. Never heard of a surgery. As stated, the nerve pain is not the only issue with fibro.

I found this online, the only info I can find regarding fibro and surgery. There is NO surgery for fibro. The only "surgery" that was done was for bone abnormalities, that may have cause nerve pain. But that was not fibro. I have attached the RA article clip regarding the 20/20 program that aired in 2000;
Internet sites devoted to CFS and FM have generated a great deal of excitement over this report and others. Such sites report anecdotal testimonials in which patients describe improvement (not resolution) in their CFS or FM symptomatology following neurosurgical decompression. The unpublished "successful" results of Dr. Michael Rosner and others can be found at these sites. Despite the promising tone of this ABC News 20/20 report, Dr. Johnson stated that (1) this surgical approach should only be considered in those having abnormal neurologic examinations AND abnormal MRI findings at the base of the skull; and (2) that this surgical approach should be considered experimental.

I've seen those sites as well, Python, and dug into the research. I would add that it is a surgery of last resort with potential for many complications. Nothing says it cures fibro. I stay on top of new research as well and follow-up with reading as many of the actual papers as I can access through by UW online library card.

Thanks both of you for your input and providing an educated response!....Hugs!

Never heard of that one. Surgery of any kind should be LAST RESORT, unless emergency.

Surgery causes MORE trauma to the body/soul of us, so why go there unless emergency. I'm dealing with horrible complications of hip replacement and good grief, talk about TRAUMA to the body....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back