Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivygrace

Hi has anyone experienced major surgery since being diagnosed with fibro? I'm thinking of elective surgery after significant weight loss and I'm really concerned about my recovery, if anyone had any experience please let me know tia

Hi Ivygrace,
sorry (well not really 😜) I haven't.
It seems to me to be the very personal/individual questions how severe problems you're experiencing in comparison with how your body usually reacts to cuts, hospital etc. so maybe my various decisions and experiences are something for you to get your head round.
I've decided against getting a probably harmless spinal tumour out, unless the annual checks show it's growing. For some a tumour may be a mental problem, for me it isn't, and if it was, I'd treat it mentally, i.e. with my psychotherapist. What I reckon with is additional overall Ache, local pains that will take months to heal and make finding a good posture, esp. for sleeping, a problem for a long time.
I've just postponed my esophagus dilation next week (2 days in hospital) due to severe midterm Achey "fatigue", but I'll be getting it done when I'm thru. Altho it's without any cutting, just a balloon via gastroscopy, I know that could cause several weeks of problems. It probably needs to be done regularly, so I'll try it once, making sure everyone and I myself do things exactly as I need them best....
Hospital problems generally: My experience with 2 weeks inpatient in a fibro/rheum clinic in 2020, something that is supposed to help not harm, was quite a setback due to problems with food (altho they did their best), sleeping (bed, snorers) and missing helpful treatments, whilst the many treatments there harmed 70%, helped 10%. Now the treatment part would no longer be a problem, because I know what I need and could do my supps & exercises there. Bed I know I'm at least better off with a ToGo-mattress and bedclothes from home than theirs. Food I know exactly what I need now (most I'd have to bring with me).

Last edited:
Hi has anyone experienced major surgery since being diagnosed with fibro? I'm thinking of elective surgery after significant weight loss and I'm really concerned about my recovery, if anyone had any experience please let me know tia
Hi Ivygrace,

I had a relatively small scale surgical procedure (3 days in hospital) after my fibro had appeared, but before it fully peaked. At that point at least, my recovery was completely normal, and I didn't experience any ongoing local pain after healing. Whether that would be the case now, I wouldn't want to speculate. I really hope you find others who can advise on this! Whatever you decide to do, the very best of luck to you 🍀

That’s my biggest fear having an operation and the after pain.
I read this article a while back and have copied& pasted link for you. It’ll be a help to you I’m sure and definitely worth the read as you’ll get info on how to handle it and so many useful tips. I’ll be doing what they advise if I have to have surgery at any time. I really feel for you cause when surgery is needed and you know there’s no option it fills you with dread. I wish you a good recovery& hope it’s not too unbearable for you. It’s hard to do but I also read once that just before you’re put to sleep if you think positive when you wake up things will be more positive I appreciate that’s a very hard thing to do when you’re forever anticipating pain. Thing is you might be perfectly alright we just imagine the worst
Please let us know how you get on and how you’re feeling.

That’s my biggest fear having an operation and the after pain.
I read this article a while back and have copied& pasted link for you. It’ll be a help to you I’m sure and definitely worth the read as you’ll get info on how to handle it and so many useful tips. I’ll be doing what they advise if I have to have surgery at any time. I really feel for you cause when surgery is needed and you know there’s no option it fills you with dread. I wish you a good recovery& hope it’s not too unbearable for you. It’s hard to do but I also read once that just before you’re put to sleep if you think positive when you wake up things will be more positive I appreciate that’s a very hard thing to do when you’re forever anticipating pain. Thing is you might be perfectly alright we just imagine the worst
Please let us know how you get on and how you’re feeling.
Dolphindora, please remember that we do not permit outside links on this forum, with only a very few exceptions. Please review the forum rules for this information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back