Swollen glands, abdominal pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

JukeGen

I'm not sure if this is fibro related but I'm going to mention it anyway in the hope someone can help. Last year I had a sore throat, swollen glands and a swollen lymphnode by my right collarbone which restricted my movement. I thought it was some sort of cold so I didn't go to the doctors but then I started to lose my appetite and have pain in my abdomen which became very severe so I went to the doctors, forgetting all about my throat and swollen glands etc and the doctors thought it could be appendicitis. I didn't eat for 3 days and then I was admitted to hospital, they did lots of bloods and urine tests which came back with nothing and an ultrasound where they found large ovarian cysts but decided it wasn't that. They kept me in overnight, I was in agony so they had me on a drip, painkillers and antibiotics. They released me on Christmas eve because they said they weren't doing anymore tests at that time and I didn't want to be stuck in hospital over Christmas. The antibiotics definitely helped and I slowly started to get better which meant they stopped trying to figure out what it was and left me to it. A few months after that, after having symptoms for years, they diagnosed me with fibro and chronic fatigue so I think whatever it was that was wrong with me caused such a flare it triggered the fibro into full action. For the past 2 weeks I have had swollen glands and a sore throat...my lymphnode by my right collarbone is enlarged and starting to restrict my movement again and the pain has started to go into my abdomen/pelvic area and I am losing my appetite. I am seeing all the signs that kicked this off last year. I tried phoning the doctors last week but the receptionist said I had to take a PCR test before they could book an appointment so by the time that was done and I got my results it was the weekend...I'm waiting for the doctors to open just now so I can phone again and speak to a doctor this time but I'm wondering if anyone has had anything similar and if it could be fibro related? It seems to be some type of infection but it didn't show up in my tests so I don't know what to do and I don't know how to get the doctor to understand that this floored me last year, I ended up bed bound for a couple of months. I'm at college and I've already taken a week off because of this, I can keep up with my course online but I'm worried I'm going to lose my bursary because of my absences but I can't go in because I'm in so much pain and so tired and the stress of that is causing a flare as it is on top of whatever this infection is. Mostly just a rant, sorry guys but I just don't know who to turn to. Everyone seems to think I'm crazy, but I'm adamant I had whatever this is last year! (It's definitely not covid)

Hi JukeGen,

I'm so sorry you're going through this! The abdominal pain sounds scary and overwhelming - and of course something you'd recognise the second time around. Don't let anyone tell you that you're being crazy - keep pushing, and I hope you'll get some answers.

As far as I can gather, a lot of people with fibro experience swollen glands and lymph nodes. In relation to glands, we were chatting not long ago about the connection between fibromyalgia and reactivated Epstein Barr virus - you can read that forum thread here and use the search function, because it's not the first time it's come up. If you Google the two conditions together, you'll find some studies. Apparently, alongside swollen glands, lymph nodes, and tonsils, reactivated EBV can cause swollen liver and spleen, so that could be something to suggest to your doctor. Bearing in mind that I'm totally guessing, and not a doctor in the slightest!

I get a swollen lymph node behind one of my collar bones - literally under the bone about halfway across - from time to time. It can feel as if someone's stabbed me there, and if I push on it the pain shoots up and down. Is that similar, or something else entirely? As for pain in your abdomen, I imagine that there are so many things this could be, so you're sadly looking at the frustration of hassling doctors until someone helps :confused: I wish I could offer better advice, other than taking really good care of yourself with nutrition and rest, and carrying on pressing for medical help. Perhaps someone else will have another suggestion.

Good luck with it all 🌷

Had a very quick examination from a nurse who thinks it's mesenteric adenitis. Can't find much information, something to do with a virus making your stomach glands inflamed as well but most common in children under 16...I'm 28...she said she doesn't care about lack of appetite so long as I'm drinking fluids, take paracetamol and rest and it should be gone in 7-14 days...its already been over a week and it's getting worse...I'm going to give it a day or two but if it gets worse I'll be asking to speak to a doctor to get a proper diagnosis. The nurse just seemed to want me out as soon as possible. Surely with how swollen my glands are they should be trying to work out what the virus is that's causing it instead of just fobbing me off...

Had a very quick examination from a nurse who thinks it's mesenteric adenitis. Can't find much information, something to do with a virus making your stomach glands inflamed as well but most common in children under 16...I'm 28...she said she doesn't care about lack of appetite so long as I'm drinking fluids, take paracetamol and rest and it should be gone in 7-14 days...its already been over a week and it's getting worse...I'm going to give it a day or two but if it gets worse I'll be asking to speak to a doctor to get a proper diagnosis. The nurse just seemed to want me out as soon as possible. Surely with how swollen my glands are they should be trying to work out what the virus is that's causing it instead of just fobbing me off...
Unfortunately, there always seems to be a disinclination to identify viruses unless illness has been very prolonged - and even then there can still be reluctance. I'm sorry you're getting that response :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back