SammieBee

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2020
Country
UK
Hello everyone,
I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (Aug 13th) although I have been living with symptoms for 3 years. I am generally o.k however noticed that whenever I comb or wash my hair the shedding is much more than usual!! Is this another symptom of fibro? I am also experiencing very very itchy skin and I am literally leaving marks on my skin from scratching so much.I take anti hestimine tablets which seems to work..
Another thing I've noticed is heart palpitations/ racing heart beat particularly at night, this is quite scary and yesterday my consultant asked me to come back for another blood test as my CK markers were high, ive done a bit of research and found out its to do with muscle enzymes.
Basically I'd like some advice as all of this is new to me, I have the usual aches and pains at the moment well for 5 months I've had pain in my shoulder/rotary cuff and lower back; lack of sleep and brain fog.

Please, any advice would be great because I feel quite lost. Thank you

Hi SammieBee: I've always shed quite a bit, that hasn't got worse.
Itchy skin I've always had and need to keep contact with water, soap and synthetics to a minimum, then it's no problem for me.
For my racing heart beat I measure blood pressure and pulse and do the Wim Hof breathing exercise and autogenic training, I get it down quick.
My CK markers are fairly high, but docs haven't found any connections yet.
My pains, like clavicula, I've got pretty much down with osteopathy, acupressure, trigger pointing, and what's now coming up again in joints: hot water bottle and arnica cream is helping. Lower back, sitting, trying to sleep: Short ice cold showers are helping a lot, even in the middle of the night.

Hello everyone,
I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (Aug 13th) although I have been living with symptoms for 3 years. I am generally o.k however noticed that whenever I comb or wash my hair the shedding is much more than usual!! Is this another symptom of fibro? I am also experiencing very very itchy skin and I am literally leaving marks on my skin from scratching so much.I take anti hestimine tablets which seems to work..
Another thing I've noticed is heart palpitations/ racing heart beat particularly at night, this is quite scary and yesterday my consultant asked me to come back for another blood test as my CK markers were high, ive done a bit of research and found out its to do with muscle enzymes.
Basically I'd like some advice as all of this is new to me, I have the usual aches and pains at the moment well for 5 months I've had pain in my shoulder/rotary cuff and lower back; lack of sleep and brain fog.

Please, any advice would be great because I feel quite lost. Thank you

Try not using shampoo. Seriously. I have not used shampoo for 7 years, and my hair has grown longer and thicker in that time than it ever did before. It's down to my waist and in great condition. I don't shed as much as I used to. I just rinse it with water while giving myself a good scalp massage/scratch. You can look it up online; there's a lot of info on it and a lot of people have discovered the whole scam of shampoo and have given it up.

Racing heart might be anxiety attacks. Even if you don't actually think you feel anxious, that is still what it could be. I know, because I have them frequently. I use breathing and meditation techniques to calm it down. sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I also recommend you read this post and implement as many of these things as you reasonably can.

Thank you Jaycs for your response, I will look up those breathing techniques you mentioned hopefully it will help with my racing heart.

Thank you Sunkacola for your reply, I have heard about water only hair washing ill give it a try.

I think you are right about the anxiety causing panic attacks, I mentioned this to a friend last week.

I will check out your post on managing fibromyalgia..

Try not using shampoo. Seriously.
Wow, that's a new one to me, I'll definitely look into that. Not just to get my hair longer, it's pretty long for a male anyway... ;-)

Last edited:
One thing you need to be prepared for if you go shamooless (is that a word?) is that if you have oily hair, you will go through a bad period of time when it gets horribly oily and looks awful. So wear a hat! After a couple weeks, a month at the very most, it will clear up and be much healthier. This won't happen if you have dry hair to begin with, as I do. My hair started looking and feeling better right away.

The thing is, your scalp is able to regulate the oil it puts out to nourish your hair. Human beings lived for over a million years without using shampoo! It's a very new thing, and the scam is that somewhere along the way some snake-oil dealer decided to tell people their hair was dirty, and they needed this special soap to wash it.

The fact is that shampoo robs your scalp of all the natural oils it produces. Then you have to put another product on your hair to "condition" it, and this is also a very, very new concept that someone made up just to make money. If you have oily hair you probably have been using shampoo "for oily hair", which strips even more of the oil from your scalp. Having been stripped, your oil glands figure they have to work even harder to produce even more oil and so the problem is exacerbated.

The only time you need shampoo is if your hair actually gets something awful on it like dirty grease. Then, use only the very mildest and most natural shampoo you can find, and make sure it has no sulfates in it. It will be expensive, but who cares if you only need it maybe once a year or less. In the past 7 years I have only used a shampoo on my hair three times, and all three were because it got something yucky on it. After using even the most mild and natural shampoo, it took almost 2 weeks for my hair to get back to feeling good again.

For your hair loss issue... try this... after shampoo and conditioner rinse your hair with a mix of water and ACV... massage that mix into your scalp and leave on for a minute or two... now rinse it off well.. this clears the pores...

I've been told that hair loss and tingling/itching/numbness and hypersensitivity can be quite common, and I had been losing hair by the handfuls until I started taking hair/skin/nail supplements and a hemp seed oil hair treatment that's supposed to help with hair fall. Now I still shed, but not hardly as much. I also dye my hair a lot, but I've done so since my teens and the major shedding coincided with my other symptoms getting worse and I also do a lot to keep my hair in good condition and don't wash it overly frequently.
I get bruises, scrapes and peeling skin ridiculously easy - like a minor knock or friction can cause my skin to peel, blister or graze, but not consistently - just randomly in various spots, and I can't always predict what's going to injure me. My usually comfortable well worn in shoes have been lethal to me this later half of the year, even with strapping tape and double layers of socks.
We just have to be hypervigilant with self care, get good oils (omegas), loads of water, and be really attentive to when our bodies start to pack hissy fits, and take preemptive measures.

And I also get heart flutters and chest pains, but with no abnormal things coming up in tests of check ups I put it down to anxiety, and now realising it's probably costochondritis again.

Thank you, I think I will try taking hair,skin and nails supplements.

The hemp seed oil treatment sounds interesting, how do you use it? Do you apply to the scalp only then massage?

B4 I knew I had fibro, I went through the pounding heart episodes that terrified me. Nothing I did slowed it and it lasted hours until I ended up getting to the ER one way or another. This went on for months and thankfully that particular symptom apparently burned itself out, I hope this helps.
P.s. my episodes always came in the late afternoon or evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back