DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
South Humberside
Hi,

I came across this site as I searched on the internet for 'teaching with fibromyalgia' and came across a closed thread on here and the site just asked me to start a general discussion about how FM affects my day!

First of all - I was diagnosed in April 2013 and found it incredibly difficult to cope as a 2nd year teacher, particularly as I could barely get around school and move classrooms between lessons. The last year has been a difficult one - I have moved house and gotten dogs so keeping on top of the cleaning is a bit of an ordeal for me!

I guess the reason that I am posting on here is because I haven't come across many people that continue teaching when they are diagnosed. I couldn't imagine giving up my job - I love it, despite all of the work that goes into it (especially as I was promoted last year). A usual work day for me lasts about 11/12 hours. 9 hours at work and 2 or 3 at home in the evenings. The most difficult thing for me is standing for a long period of time as it is my back, hips, neck and shoulder blades that play up most. I can usually avoid doing this by walking slowly around the classroom and regularly sitting for a few minutes during lessons whilst the students get on with their work. I regularly have hot water bottles to lean against or wheat bags to ease the pain. The kids are fantastic about it - they offer to carry things or tell me to take a seat when they see me struggling and are particularly forgiving when my brain fogs and make me mash two words together. I find that being a little open about my condition helps - I usually tell the kids I have something similar to arthritis but it is my muscles around the joints that get sore and not the joints themselves. I do feel burnt out by the end of a term (especially as we have had 7 and a half week ones this year) but the regular time off really helps me to recharge. 2The most infuriating thing about teaching in a large school though is the fact that some teachers are quite rude about the fact that I struggle at 'such a young age' according to them. Most are fine, but there are a few who could do with being a bit more compassionate. I have actually been asked before 'What's actually wrong with you?' and when I am open about my condition it soon shuts people up!

I actually find that keeping busy is a good way to take my mind off pain. Teaching is a stressful job and I know that I will always struggle with pain management but I simply refuse to sit around and feel sorry for myself (which is what I am well known to do when I get ill - I will count down the days until I think that I will feel better). I definitely prefer teaching to factory/shop/lab work which I have done in the past.

For anybody else considering teaching - it is worth it if you are strong willed enough to not let the pain defeat you. Have a routine and a to-do list and stick to it. Organisation is key and don't be afraid to admit to those around you when you need help/are struggling. If you are good at your job then a good employer should, within reason, take measures to help you out.

Spannah.

Beautifully written post! I've watched my mom struggle with pain issues for the past 17+ years, and she continued to teach- to this day she's still teaching! She has been a great role model for me, as too now struggle with my own pain issues. I know if she could/ can do it, I can push thru too! Bravo to you! =]

Thanks for this post. I am having a rough patch right now and needed to hear that someone else is struggling, but mananging. I dont teach in a school, but I am counselor in a school. I do a lot of walking and standing, and my most painful areas are my hips and shoulders. As you can understand, this is also a stressful job. I do have to work through the summer with the kids and I have been having doubts about being able to do my job effectively. But after reading your post, I think that my passion for my job will take me through it. Thanks again for for the inspiring post.

spannah,

What do you teach? I was a Preschool Teacher until I was let go due to the fact that I was no longer "a good fit" ie., Fibro Fob and they knew I was taking medication and some of the parents complained. It was hard work. This was before I knew what I had and WAY before it was properly controlled.

I teach secondary school. Ages 11 to 18. My work are pretty good about it... particularly as I turn up everyday regardless of the pain. I guess it is easier with the age that I teach to just say to them everry now and again 'im sttuggling today so im going to be a sit down teacher for a little while', I find with kids it is easier to givr thrm a little bit of info than to tell them not to ask or be blunt with them, they are more compassionate than tbey get credit for. As far as co workers go... the ones that know me properly know when Im in pain and know how I feel so dont pass comment or judgement. The ones that do pass judgement are not important to me so I avoid them unless I have to communicate with them professionally. I r3ally am counting down until the next holiday though...

Wow thanks for your inspiring post. I do believe a strong will can get you anywhere, but on some days it is very hard to do even the easiest tasks and it makes it harder when people do not understand how much you struggle. It is great to see people like you because it shows it is indeed possible to follow one's dreams no matter what obstacles life gives us.

Hi,

I came across this site as I searched on the internet for 'teaching with fibromyalgia' and came across a closed thread on here and the site just asked me to start a general discussion about how FM affects my day!

First of all - I was diagnosed in April 2013 and found it incredibly difficult to cope as a 2nd year teacher, particularly as I could barely get around school and move classrooms between lessons. The last year has been a difficult one - I have moved house and gotten dogs so keeping on top of the cleaning is a bit of an ordeal for me!

I guess the reason that I am posting on here is because I haven't come across many people that continue teaching when they are diagnosed. I couldn't imagine giving up my job - I love it, despite all of the work that goes into it (especially as I was promoted last year). A usual work day for me lasts about 11/12 hours. 9 hours at work and 2 or 3 at home in the evenings. The most difficult thing for me is standing for a long period of time as it is my back, hips, neck and shoulder blades that play up most. I can usually avoid doing this by walking slowly around the classroom and regularly sitting for a few minutes during lessons whilst the students get on with their work. I regularly have hot water bottles to lean against or wheat bags to ease the pain. The kids are fantastic about it - they offer to carry things or tell me to take a seat when they see me struggling and are particularly forgiving when my brain fogs and make me mash two words together. I find that being a little open about my condition helps - I usually tell the kids I have something similar to arthritis but it is my muscles around the joints that get sore and not the joints themselves. I do feel burnt out by the end of a term (especially as we have had 7 and a half week ones this year) but the regular time off really helps me to recharge. 2The most infuriating thing about teaching in a large school though is the fact that some teachers are quite rude about the fact that I struggle at 'such a young age' according to them. Most are fine, but there are a few who could do with being a bit more compassionate. I have actually been asked before 'What's actually wrong with you?' and when I am open about my condition it soon shuts people up!

I actually find that keeping busy is a good way to take my mind off pain. Teaching is a stressful job and I know that I will always struggle with pain management but I simply refuse to sit around and feel sorry for myself (which is what I am well known to do when I get ill - I will count down the days until I think that I will feel better). I definitely prefer teaching to factory/shop/lab work which I have done in the past.

For anybody else considering teaching - it is worth it if you are strong willed enough to not let the pain defeat you. Have a routine and a to-do list and stick to it. Organisation is key and don't be afraid to admit to those around you when you need help/are struggling. If you are good at your job then a good employer should, within reason, take measures to help you out.

Spannah.

I am an elementary exceptional children's teacher. This year I am assigned to 2nd and 3rd grade. I go into regular classrooms to co-teach reading and math for some of the day and work with my students in my own classroom for the other part of the day. Because I am an elementary school teacher, I also have morning and afternoon duties beyond that of teaching. My afternoon duty is often difficult because it requires me to be outside rain or shine, hot or cold. Rain and cold present a huge problem for me. Right now, I do not share my issues and complain, because there are plenty of others who are completely well and complain enough, who also get to stay dry and warm. This can be very frustrating. The children often brighten my day. They hug me and tell me about their day and experiences. It can really keep my mind off things. I have always said that my own children and my job give me sanity. Since beginning having problems with pain and fatigue that has gotten much worse over the last 5 months, my job is starting to be a challenge. The weekends are often used to play catchup and I don't spend enough of it resting to be ready for the new work week that I dread the start of each day. Most days I find that by late morning, I am doing much better and can make it, but then comes the afternoon duty. Here lately, even though I live in the south, we have had a pretty cold, wet, and icy winter. Since January, I have had to do my afternoon duty in the freezing rain at least once or twice a week. The forecast for tomorrow is the same and I dread it sooooo bad. I wind up hurting more and with such a chill that it hurts to the bone. Right now I am looking forward to what is left of spring break with having to use some of those days to make up for snow days and then for summer break. That is a bright side to teaching in a traditional school...summers off, especially when it is very possible that I have fibromyalgia.

I feel for you with the duty thing, honestly though if you open up to the people that matter you might get some help with duties and things. I didn't like asking for help because I didn't want people to think I was trying to get out of doing things like exam invigilation but it really does affect my pain levels as I can't stand still for long periods of time. When the person in charge noticed last year they asked what was wrong and I was honest with him and he was insistent that if I'm struggling I should let him know, it means I don't get cover at the top of some of the blocks and I very rarely have to spend time in the exam hall - I cover other lessons instead. The last two days have been difficult as I have been suffering with a migraine but still went to work as I could tolerate low levels of noise and I had some students that I was worried about getting behind. With them leaving soon it would have caused me more stress. I went to the dentist the other night about my wisdom teeth that are impacted and I was told I cannot have them removed on the NHS unless I have a disease or they are causing other problems. Apparently having a pain condition isn't good enough... I apparently also grind my teeth in my sleep so it is looking a lot like TMJD - it is driving me mad having a constant aching in my head! I am so looking forward to having a clear head :)

Hey this was really well written! My SO has very similar problems. Ill show her this and I think she'll like it.

This is wonderful! It was also very pleasant to read. I am very glad to hear that there are people who have overcome this problem, which means that there is hope for everybody!

I'm in school now getting my teaching credential. I'm a little worried about showing up for work every day when I get a job. The pain I can almost deal with, but it's the malaise and fatigue that accompanies flares that make life a bit impossible some days.

Lately, my flares have been mostly pain-related, which is actually good because pain is so much better than chronic fatigue. Recently, my hips and legs have been very painful and it has inhibited by ability to walk very well. I can't imagine being on my feel ALL DAY, but I suppose I will have to figure it out.

You will have to sit straight up, unfortunately. If you cannot do it, you should tell your students about your condition and they will understand.

Thank you, wonderful post! I taught special education for almost nine years but not consecutive. I was not officially diagnosed until 2011 but of course was plagued with the health issues most of those years. My first stretch I was able to teach for six years, then had to take over a year off. Went back for two years but had to leave mid year. It does not do justice to my resume of course but luckily my letters of rec, reputation, network etc make it less of an issue. In 2010 I went to grad school part time, did not work. Got my 60 hours for my EdS in School Psychology but when it came time for practicum, I just could not do it, physically it was impossible. But I NEVER give up hope of going back to teaching paying off some loans and finishing that degree! I finally JUST have in and hired a firm and filing disability. It is NOT forever, just till I get well again and go back to the kiddos! Thanks again for your wonderful post! ��

I'm pretty impressed, actually. I've never thought that somebody could teach and have fibromyalgia. Can you still do it?

Just a thought- you mentioned you get migraines? Since NHS doesn't want to help you get those stinky wisdom teeth out, I think it's time to think outside the box...
Have your neurologist, dentist, family Dr, any Dr at all ever considered that a potential cause/trigger of your migraines could maybe possibly be from these impacted wisdom teeth?
I mean, there are so many things that can cause lovely migraines... I mean, I can get a migraine if I eat grapefruit, too much chocolate (which let me tell you is a very small amount lol), my time of the month, fluorescent lights, certain irritating noises, icky perfumes, My TMJ can trigger them too... There's more but I'll leave it at that.
If you haven't already, I think you should speak with your neurologist (or whoever handles your treatment for migraines) about this possibility.... I mean it can't hurt, right? The worst they can say is no, and you're in the same position you're in then anyways... But maybe, just maybe, that could be the key to getting NHS to foot the bill!

I feel for you with the duty thing, honestly though if you open up to the people that matter you might get some help with duties and things. I didn't like asking for help because I didn't want people to think I was trying to get out of doing things like exam invigilation but it really does affect my pain levels as I can't stand still for long periods of time. When the person in charge noticed last year they asked what was wrong and I was honest with him and he was insistent that if I'm struggling I should let him know, it means I don't get cover at the top of some of the blocks and I very rarely have to spend time in the exam hall - I cover other lessons instead. The last two days have been difficult as I have been suffering with a migraine but still went to work as I could tolerate low levels of noise and I had some students that I was worried about getting behind. With them leaving soon it would have caused me more stress. I went to the dentist the other night about my wisdom teeth that are impacted and I was told I cannot have them removed on the NHS unless I have a disease or they are causing other problems. Apparently having a pain condition isn't good enough... I apparently also grind my teeth in my sleep so it is looking a lot like TMJD - it is driving me mad having a constant aching in my head! I am so looking forward to having a clear head :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back