Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
Hey everyone. I haven't visited this forum in a while. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has heard, or had any experience, with something called "myofascial release"? I read about it online some time ago. I've been experiencing pain in my calves, and when my husband massaged them, he found a bunch of knots in my muscles. So I googled this problem, and found something called "myofascial release".

Basically, the fascia is the layer that covers the top of the muscles. For those of us with Fibromyalgia, the fascia tends to get tight and knotted. The myofascial release is supposed to help with this. It's supposed to smooth it out. The author of the online article I read said that some physical therapists use this technique, but you can also learn to do it yourself. Has anyone tried this before? Physical therapy is expensive, so I was hoping to try this out myself.

I have a foam roller and a rolling pin (it is heavy plastic with bumps). There are many videos on YouTube that show how to use these. Basically, it's a self massage technique that you use to roll muscles (never bone) to loosen things up. Fascia is all the rage right now - you can release it through rolling. massage, or fluid movement (think Tai Chi). IMHO, it really helps but like any exercise program or self therapy one has to actually do it, LOL. I should roll more, do yoga more - I know it would help me a lot but hard to just get down & do it. Movement, stretching, rolling - all SO good for us...in moderation of course.

I wouldn't say fascia gets knotted - it can't really - but it gets very tight. Muscles can develop 'knots' or trigger points - rolling can help this too.

My very informed sister is a firm believer in myofascial pain release for many painful conditions. In my area of California you can find experienced therapists in both private practice or associated with a chiropractic office but, as you mentioned, the treatments are expensive, more so than the regular massage. I wonder if insurance companies would cover myofascial release? Anyway, a year ago I suffered from piriformis syndrome (a very painful muscle spasm which was pressing on the sciatic nerve) and used a foam roller, in addition to physical therapy, to help release the knot. As Northernelf mentioned, there are lots of videos on YouTube and other detailed and helpful information on many websites, which you've probably already discovered. I hope you find relief soon!

Thanks for the info! Where can I buy a foam roller? I would like to try this rolling technique, soon. I didn't know there were videos for this on YouTube, so that will be helpful to watch.

I too have heard that Yoga is helpful for people with fibro. I think Pilates might be good practice, too. As far as Yoga goes, it's been years since I took a class. Good advice to take it slow, for sure.... : )

Does anyone else find that they can't be on their feet for too long? It seems like my pain gets worse, the more I'm on my feet. I've only had fibro for about a year, so I'm still discovering what my limitations are. I guess it's different for everyone, though.

Thanks for all the advice/tips.

Foam rollers can be purchased at many places -- I know for sure that Amazon.com and Big 5 Sporting Goods have them.

Foam rollers can be purchased from amazon.com and Big 5 Sporting Goods, plus many other places.

Foam rollers can be purchased from Amazon and Big 5 Sporting Goods, plus many other places.

Foam rollers can be purchased at many places -- I know for sure that Amazon.com and Big 5 Sporting Goods have them.

Thanks! I'll buy one of those soon.

If anyone has a good YouTube video for foam rolling that they'd like to share, could you please send me the link? I would really appreciate it. There's so much out there on YouTube, sometimes it's tedious to sift through it all and find something helpful.

Cat Lady, This type of Massage Therapy can be done with or without a roller. I had physical therapy and they had me lay down flat on a table and they would start at my lower leg calf muscle and using palm of hands, using massage oil, and push upward on my leg muscles toward my hip over and over moving slowly. A roller would make the job easier as your person would need to apply steady but firm pressure as you move up the legs and then repeat as necessary until the legs are easily moved without pain.

If done correctly it will be painful at times but the end result is worth the painful process. I had once injured my leg and could not move it without feeling tightness restriction and pain in my hips. After I had the massage it was like there was no pain at all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back