Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
After doing some research today, I think I may have fibromyalgia. I had thought it was just a pain disorder 'till I overheard something on Dr. Oz about chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia. I've been diagnosed with Major Depression Recurrent, Insomnia, Panic Disorder, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Recently I've started having Derealization episodes, which they're telling me is also psychiatric. Physically, I've been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, TMJ, Ocular Migraines, Pain w/o Physical Origin, and Leaden Paralysis from depression. I also have what's probably IBS - diarrhea in the mornings and constipation at night. I also have chest pain and what seems like symptoms of heart disease, but there's nothing physical to justify it. I thought I was getting Diabetes II because I have tingling in my heels that feels like pins and needles. I've never mentioned the IBS or the tingling because it has felt like I'm already suffering from ten or more disorders. I'm being treated for some of them and I just didn't want to deal with anymore doctor's appointments or medications, so I tried to ignore a lot of these things or tell myself that they're in my head. I started feeling hopeless... Thinking that I must just be dying because something's wrong, but no one can figure out what it is... My glucose, liver function tests and EKGs have come back normal.

Today I saw, for the first time, a list of the complete symptoms of Fibromyalgia and just had this holy crap moment... I think I may have fibro and NOT ten or more separate illnesses and/or symptoms. I made a list of the things I'm suffering from out of WebMD's list of fibro symptoms. At this point, I've been on SSI disability since age 17 and I'm 27 now. I'm completely disabled and cannot work. I would be interested if some people on these forums who have fibromyalgia could tell me if they have these same symptoms. I'm not looking to self-diagnose or come to conclusions from others' opinions, but I would like to explore none-the-less. I see my doctor the day after tomorrow to talk about all this...

*Chronic muscle pain, spasms, tightness - pain in my buttocks bones from sitting on a hard bench for just a few minutes; pain all over that comes and goes; severe pain in my face and jaw
*Severe fatigue - for me, 18+ hours of sleep and then still wake up tired
*Decreased energy - for me, NO energy... I can barely shower or cook for myself
*Stiffness
*Difficulty remembering, concentrating, and performing simple mental tasks ("fibro fog") - part of what they say is part of my psychiatric derealizations
*Constipation alternating with diarrhea - everyday
*Ocular migraine headaches
*Jaw pain and facial pain, swelling and tenderness - currently diagnosed as TMJ; this pain is BAD... Sometimes I have to take morphine for it; it's episodic
*Sensitivities - noise, TV volume, light (either too dark or too bright), and temperature - always too cold or too hot
*Anxiety - currently diagnosed as Generalized Anxiety Disorder
*Depression - currently diagnosed as Major Depression Recurrent
*Numbness and painful tingling in my heels, the tops of my hands, and sometimes my left arm - comes and goes or is episodic
*Extreme pain after hard exercise... A fast run will have me aching for days
*Sweats
*Memory difficulties
*Confusion
*Difficulty concentrating - currently diagnosed as ADD
*Staring into space before brain, "kicks in" - I never even knew this was a side-effect of anything... I thought I was just having extreme fatigue or something
*Sensory overload - which causes Derealization episodes
*Panic attacks - currently diagnosed as Panic Disorder
*Lability (tearfulness) - they tell me this is part of my depression
*Rapid, fluttery irregular heartbeat - this is diagnosed as Sinus Arrhythmia, which is a benign condition where your heart rate increases on the in breath and decreases on the out breath... This happens when I'm anxious or panicking but isn't stationary
*Pain that mimics heart attacks - I was told this is part of my anxiety but found it as a symptom of fibro which is called costochondritis
*Shortness of breath
*Vision problems - it feels like I'm viewing the world through a bubble or lens, things are distorted in a way that's hard to describe; they say this is part of the Derealization
*Teeth grinding
*Abdominal cramps
*Pelvic pain
*Frequent urination
*Difficulty recalling known words; vocabulary problems
*Disorientation
*Poor balance & coordination - I don't fall but sometimes I stagger or have to catch my balance a lot
*Always too cold or too hot w/cold sweats and hot flashes

Is this what other people who have fibromyalgia experience? I'm curious about people who've specifically been diagnosed. I would really like to know what's wrong with me... I think I would feel better actually, if this is fibro, to know that it is, rather than to just keep wondering what's wrong with me, if I'm crazy, and suffering with the issues related to being considered to have all these multiple illnesses that aren't treatable. The pain I have in my teeth, jaw, face, eye sockets, head, neck and shoulders are just unbearable at times. Some days things just feel so hopeless because I feel like I don't know what's going on - until I found the fibromyalgia symptoms today... Maybe I'm not entirely crazy and disastrously ill with something that no one can diagnose? This is all very difficult to live and cope with.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

--JustMe86

Hi there! Well, I do have some of the symptoms you mentioned, but some of those symptoms are being caused by other chronic issues. I'd really like to know if you have seen a neurologist or a rheumatologist. Some of your symptoms do sound neurological, if I were you I'd go see a rheumatologist or a neurologist. You need to find a good doctor to get some answers tho, not very easy, but it's possible!

Hi there I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but yeah I do get some of those things. Now like Trellum said some of what you describe sounds like fibro and some of it sounds neurological. Try to think of the good things like actually knowing what it is not. Kind of a back handed way of looking at the bright side of things if you know what I mean.

I would have to agree with the previous post by Trellum and Nascarmike. Some of your symptoms are related to other conditions you have. This may make it hard to be diagnosed. Another way to see is by looking at a trigger point chart. See if you have eleven of the eighteen trigger points, this is something the doctor will check for as well.

I have almost all of those symptoms progressing for years and have been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. So many other diseases carry the same symptoms, so doctors like to rule out things like MS first. sounds very much like what I go through on a daily basis.

I have found out I have an auto immune disorder in addition to my FMS so there could be overlapping symptoms and such. But my symptoms that led to my FMS diagnosis including widespread pain, tender points and extreme fatigue. I also had a lot of headaches, bouts of tingling or numbness and a range of other symptoms.

Woah, that sounds a lot like what I had! The most suspicious symptoms for me were the headaches and numbing, those are the ones that sent me to see the doctor asap. I'm so glad we are not the kind who ignores symptoms! A lot people I know ignore symptoms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back