Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
None
So I know I probably shouldn't do this without doctor supervision but I am pretty sure he would have me do it the same way as I am doing it. I decided that I am sick to death of taking so many medications in a day. I was taking 31 pills a day and just decided enough is enough so I decided to wean myself off of them. I am going to continue to take my high blood pressure and my high cholesterol medications and one depression medication. I have started weaning myself off of everything else by just reducing the amount I take. For example, if I was taking 3 Gabapentin a day I have gone done to 2. I am going to that for a couple of weeks and then go down to 1 for a couple of weeks then off of it completely. But my body is not happy with my decision. I am shaky and jittery and my legs feel like jello. I just don't feel like I need to be on 3 or 4 depression medications. The stuff that I felt was unnecessary I just quit cold turkey. I was starting to feel like a drug addict taking so many medications. Obviously my body feels that way too since I feel like I am going through withdrawal.

Hopefully by the end of the year I can be off of everything except the 3 medications I listed above.

magnum

Diagnosis
09/1998
Country
US
State
Colorado
So I know I probably shouldn't do this without doctor supervision but I am pretty sure he would have me do it the same way as I am doing it. I decided that I am sick to death of taking so many medications in a day. I was taking 31 pills a day and just decided enough is enough so I decided to wean myself off of them. I am going to continue to take my high blood pressure and my high cholesterol medications and one depression medication. I have started weaning myself off of everything else by just reducing the amount I take. For example, if I was taking 3 Gabapentin a day I have gone done to 2. I am going to that for a couple of weeks and then go down to 1 for a couple of weeks then off of it completely. But my body is not happy with my decision. I am shaky and jittery and my legs feel like jello. I just don't feel like I need to be on 3 or 4 depression medications. The stuff that I felt was unnecessary I just quit cold turkey. I was starting to feel like a drug addict taking so many medications. Obviously my body feels that way too since I feel like I am going through withdrawal.

Hopefully by the end of the year I can be off of everything except the 3 medications I listed above.
I know that it is hard getting off meds especially if it is cold turkey. Taking 31 pills a day can't be good on your liver function. Although I don't know you, I am proud of you for weaning yourself off the meds. I've gone off meds like Lyrica and Effexor. I suffer from deep depression also and take Venlafaxine for it. I wanted to ask if you have considered incorporating pomegranite into your diet. I just started doing this 5 days ago and I am amazed! The first day, I consumed about 12 ounces of POM juice at nighttime. The next morning, I woke up feeling refreshed and energized. Usually, I have to talk myself out of bed and feel drained all the time. I really think it helped me with boosting energy and lowering the depression a bit. This is coming from a chemist and skeptic. If you are interested, here's a link: 9 Pomegranate Healing Benefits If you use POM juice (sold at most grocery stores), please spread it out during the day. Consuming it all at once caused me diarrhea. I now consume just 8 ounces (split into 4 ounces twice day) during the daytime.
Good luck with the weaning process. You have a supporter here.

blue paradise

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/2010
Country
US
State
CA
Krista, I can totally understand your desire to decrease your meds, but I strongly suggest that you do so under the direction of your Drs' care.

6 weeks seems like a very short period to taper off so many drugs. Take care in how you proceed with this.
Peace.

Forgetmenot

Legendary member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
70/2010
Country
UK
State
Hertfordshire
Yes. Pls tell your dr.better to come of slowly and safely.good luck x