Not open for further replies.

Ashtae220

Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
I am positive my significant other has fibromyalgia. He has frequent pain, migraines, sleep disturbance (sometimes insomnia and sometimes sleeps 12+ hours and doesn't feel as though he has slept at all). He has had horrible intermittent muscle spasms since he was a child (can physically see the muscles spasming). He has been to PT a number of times and they have found his muscles to be incredibly tense but with no known cause. He has difficulty concentrating and often feels like he is in a fog.

Over the last 5 years he has been seen by 2 different PCPs, a neurologist, and an endocrinologist but has not received any type of diagnosis for his symptoms and has been treated like a hypochondriac. He had multiple blood tests done and the only thing that came up was increased inflammation in his body. His most recent PCP almost diagnosed him but when he began to see a therapist decided it was depression instead (despite physical symptoms). He is tired of fighting with doctors. I am tired if people treating us like we are crazy. Does anyone have tips on where to go from here?

I should add symptoms have been present for over a decade. Doctors have ruled out lupus, lyme, and arthritis via blood work among other things.

Hello Ashtae, and welcome. You and your BF are treading the same ground most of us with this syndrome have tread. It is very frustrating, I know. I suggest that you research in your area and find a different doctor who is familiar with FM and have your BF go see that person. There may be other tests you want to have done as well, to rule out some other things that the symptoms could be, but if he is having real physical pain and muscle spasms and is being told it's due to depression, he is seeing the wrong doctors entirely. Depression is one thing. What you are describing is another. They can come together, but while the physical symptoms may very easily cause depression, it doesn't work the other way around 99.9% of the time.
I am sorry you and he are going through this, but know that we are all here to help and support each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back