Topicals or Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjd

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Just wondering if anyone has had any sucess with Topical or Supplements. Or anything natural?

Hi cjd,

Welcome, and yes - quite a few people here have had good results from natural treatments for fibro. I have had far more success stacking supplements than I did taking medication, but that was because I tend to react badly to antidepressants. The idea of staying more natural is certainly appealing too!

This is my lot, but for absolute certain, different sufferers seem to have success with a different selection of supplements
I take CoQ10, acetyl l-carnatine, and alpha lipoic acid for mitochondrial support - I feel that this has helped my brain fog and energy quite a bit
I take low-dose lithium orotate for depression
I take magnesium glycinate for anxiety/insomnia/fibro pain - it's a multi-talent!
I take boswellia for joint pain/a general feeling of inflammation and puffiness

One of our regular posters @JayCS has had amazing success with GABA, in combination with a stack that looks very different to mine, and I remember that @Auriel found a topical muscle rub that was helping (I think it had magnesium in it, but can't remember exactly!) There have also been discussions about CBD in various forms, and certainly a bunch of other things too.

My approach was to read up on supplements used to treat fibro, and if something spoke to me (after seeing if I could afford it!) I'd order it and add it in for a few weeks. If it made a difference I'd order more, if not I'd let it run out, and if it made me feel worse I'd stop, before trying the next thing. I do think it's worth experimenting - I hope you find things that help!

I took a lot of supplement ideas from a library book by a functional medical doctor who suffers with auto-immune disease. These supplements are also good "pre-hab" for COVID fighting. Of course we cannot afford all of them, but we do the best we can.

What is the name of the book @Faustina ? I’ve been looking at some ebooks on my phone (I’ve only had a look at the samples so far) till I decide to buy, but I’d love some good fibro book recommendations (I’m going down that road right now) also hope your well, take care 💜✨💜

The name of the book is : THE AUTOIMMUNE SOLUTION COOKBOOK by Amy Myers, M.D.
(She is also a functional medicine doctor)
Page 290 starts listing pages for supplement information.
I asked my library to purchase the book and they did. Previously, I had read the library copy of her book, THE AUTOIMMUNE SOLUTION which was a New York Times bestseller.
I don't afford her name brand products; however, I do buy the recommended supplements I can afford in other quality brands. Her food protocol involves eating for healthy gut flora and gut healing which seems to help fibromyalgia symptoms. My number one first take-a-ways, avoid gluten, avoid sweeteners, avoid dairy , and do supplement.
Mark Harmon, MD also has some material in the library and on u-tube.
Blessings!

Ooh thank you, yeah I’ve heard of it before (I think I saw it in wh-smith) but I can’t remember if it had cookbook on the end 🤔 I definitely remember the name autoimmune soloution, did it make a difference @Faustina? did it help? ✨⭐💫

Last edited:
Hi @Jemima, it’s got cinnamon camphor, peppermint leaf oils, boswellia, arnica, aloe vera, magnesium and lots of other things all natural though (which I like) hope everyone’s ok! and the fibro’s not driving them insane 😘🥰🍀

Last edited:
Hi @Jemima, it’s got cinnamon camphor, peppermint leaf oils, boswellia, arnica, aloe vera, magnesium and lots of other things all natural though (which I like) hope everyone’s ok! and the fibro’s not driving them insane 😘🥰🍀
Sounds epic! Must smell yummy too 😊

Thanks for the info. I have tried many, also. One of my other problems is my stomach...I have always had a problem especially with supplements. Example Vitamin D...which, I am very low in..and I do think this has a lot to do with my pain, along with extreme stress.. Its like a vicious circle...

I've nearly finished my magnesium citrate and thinking of trying some magnesium glycinate but unsure which brand to buy in the UK? Hard to know who to trust, Amazon reviews can be off putting with comments about the levels in the capsules. There's plenty of home work for me reading up in this thread and another I've seen discussing supplements. It's not something I've looked deep into and hope it may yet help me.

I also take prescribed vitamin d too @cjd (I don’t think it’s the 1st time I’ve read on the forum about low vitamin d and also folic acid too) 🥚🐣🐥

It does jems, it really does 😄😋🤤

I've nearly finished my magnesium citrate and thinking of trying some magnesium glycinate but unsure which brand to buy in the UK? Hard to know who to trust, Amazon reviews can be off putting with comments about the levels in the capsules. There's plenty of home work for me reading up in this thread and another I've seen discussing supplements. It's not something I've looked deep into and hope it may yet help me.
If it's any help, I use KAL brand - that's what gave me results that surprised me, so I think it does what it says on the tin!

Great thank you, sounds promising, I'll have a look for it 👍

I wonder if magnesium topical gel is worth trying, apparently magnesium absorbs well when taken transdermally. In the meantime I've started KAL magnesium and Psyllium tablets. The Psyllium are big tablets and difficult to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back