Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2002
Country
CA
State
Northwest Territories
It has recently been suggested that I try Topiramate since I have the cluster headaches, fibro pain and lack of sleep. Anybody have any experience using Topiramate?

Yes, I've taken topirmate for almost 2 years for unbearable headaches. I had to come off it for awhile because I was loosing way too much weight way to fast. I worked great for my head aches and when I went back on it the weight loss stopped. I take a low dose of 50mg/day and have never had to increase. We took a long weekend trip and I forgot it, by Monday my pain started back. It works great for me. I was just diagnosed with fibro last month and recently learned topirmate is also used in fibro treatment. Good luck. I hope it works for you.

Thanks for the info. I cannot afford to lose weight...was your dosage very high, is that why you lost so much or was it a combination of drugs? I would like to give it a try but not if it will cause me another problem. I am so tired of cluster headaches!

I don't think 50mg is considered very high. You may not loose weight, I started drinking giant icees two to 3 times a day to get weight back on . After coming off of it for a few weeks, when I went back on it, I didn't have anymore problems with weight loss. I could not function because of the headaches, so it was worth the second try and luckily it worked out. You never know what or if you'll exsperiances side effects, the only way you'll know is if you try it. Let me know if you try it and what results you get. Good luck!

I was on Topirmate for migraines. I started having severe bouts with confusion, forgetfulness, and general disorientation. Please be cautious with this medication, try to be aware of memory issues and contact your doctor immediately if they occur.

Thanks for the info...I will keep you posted and I will take a special note of any memory issues.

Starting Topiramate this coming Monday, doc put me on 50 mg at bedtime to start.

I took topiramate for migraine. It stopped the pain, but I had problems similar to what yellowrose described. The neurologist suggested I try butterbur, which is an herbal supplement. Luckily it worked for me.

Its good to hear all the migraine tips i have had one and face pain since 30th December....and to hear from you DK engineer i thought you had disappeared.

Hi Willow, good to hear from you again! I guess I've been on an extended break. I got kind of busy with the holidays and the kids starting school. I hope you are having a good New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back