Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
AR
I have Fybromyalgia and in pain can anyone tell me if Tramadol helps for Fybromyalgia pain and at what dose.
And if they tried it and it did not help.
Thank you

Hi James,

Tramadol may help with pain for some people and for others not. But the important thing is that tramadol is an opiate. And to take opiates is to invite more trouble than your pain is giving you, so don't do it is my advice. Just do not start. If you do, the effects may seem great at first, but then you will need more to get the same effect, and then more, and you are soon addicted to an opiate and I probably don't need to tell you how badly you do not want that.

There are so many other things you can do to help alleviate pain. Many of them are not drugs at all, and I will post a link to a post that has many ideas non-drug related. If you go at this with the willingness to experiment and work on things that could help without drugs you may fined that you won't need heavy duty pain medication at all, or seldom. I wrote that post because some of those things make it possible for me to live a pretty normal life without any serious pain medication perhaps 90% of the time or more. I do have to do things daily to manage it, but not with drugs. You can do it too. :)

If you need to take something for the pain, ask your doctor to prescribe something that does not have any opiates in it at all. You really don't want to start down that road.

My advice for managing fibromyalgia (especially for newcomers)

hi James.

Definitely no expert, but it is my understanding that narcotic/opioid drugs should be avoided at all costs - they really do not help for fibro pain , and the risks associated with them far outweigh any potential benefits. (and of course sunkacola beat me to it with this info, lol)

There are other drugs that are more commonly used for fibro, but everyone is different, and any medication choices should be discussed thoroughly with your doctor, including possible side effects.

Last edited:
Hi I'm on tramadol and have been for years.

I would like to say for me if I didn't use it I'd never get through my day.nothing completely stops pain .but for me it makes my life possible.

I've been on Tramadol and Tramacet for years for chronic spinal pain and honestly, Tramacet has been a life saver for me with the pain. A British doctor at a chronic pain centre put me on it and assured me that it was safe and told me that it had been used in the UK for decades. Before that I was taking 10 or 12 Advil a day and was on my way to liver problems or worse.

But now the doctors are all against these drugs and insist on taking me off them - I'm prescribed 8 Tramacet a day (an amount I've never used) but most often only use 2 on a bad day, more frequently none at all on good days... as far as the Tramadol - I take one a day as prescribed. I've been trying to use CBD oil to replace the Tramacet - but it doesn't work as well despite all the current raving about it. However, I just reeducated myself on the Tramadol and Tramacet and realize that long term use does has consequences - opioids can cause breathing problems, heart problems, and many other health issues. These are the reasons I think I should go off them.

And this is the reason I'm going to try to get off most of my prescription drugs - they all have side effects and all are addictive to some extent.

Hi longtimer, you are right about prescription drugs, although opiates are by far the worst because they are essentially a mild form of heroin. All opiates are addictive, physically not just mentally. A person who has been on them for a long time is definitely physically addicted to it. That doesn't mean I am judging Forgetmenot for taking this drug, because each person must make their own decisions about their own body and health and how to manage, and no one can tell you what is right for you.

If the CBD oil doesn't work, may I suggest you try a tincture that it 1:1 CBD and THC? Most places this is legal now, although in some places you need a medical card to get it. I suggest this because it works very well for me, for certain inds of pain. Of course this doesn't mean it will work for you but it is worth giving it a try if you have not already.

may I suggest you try a tincture that it 1:1 CBD and THC? Most places this is legal now
not legal here, with or without a medical card... WI is still very much against it..
CBD is legal, but it MUST be under 0.03% THC
I keep hoping someday... but in the current "climate" it wont be soon.

I'm not advocating any drug.im on 2 tramadol a day.and know I'd not walk without it.
For me having a life and being able to keep up with my daughter is important. I can barely move come 5 o clock as it is

So sorry it is like that for you, Forgetmenot. I know from your posts you are a hard worker and you are doing your very best.

And, as I said, you need to do what is right for you or what you really need to function as you need to, and no one has the right to criticize you for making the decisions you make in order to do that. As I said, I am not in any way judging you and would never want someone here to feel that from me.

Thank you for your post.
I decided to not use tramadol, I do not need to be addicted, I am afraid of that. And also having to increase the dose in time.

Thank you for your post.
I decided to not use tramadol, I do not need to be addicted, I am afraid of that. And also having to increase the dose in time.

for me, i think drugs like tramadol should be a "last resort" kind of thing (just my personal opinion here).. dont rule it out completely, but dont go there first, either.
For some, yes, it is the only way they can get thru their days and be able to do what they need to do - other methods have not worked for them. And that is ok. we each need to do what works best for us. I wont ever put someone down for doing what they need to do.

But i do think one should at least try other, non-drug related, forms of treatment first. Making lifestyle changes, diet changes and trying supplements is going to be better for your body. Will it be easy? no. old habits are hard to break, but you dont know if it will help if you dont try.

Tramadol doesn't help me with any of my pain, fibro or otherwise. It's like taking a sugar pill for me.

So what do you take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back